Fuji Fuji RAW processing?

Lensflare

Regular
Is there a stand alone programme that will recognise the Fuji RAW images and process them - I have only dealt with Nikon ones up to now, and the Nikon Capture NX2 that comes with the camera processes the Nikon RAW files perfectly happily, with sliders and tools, not to the extent of photoshop, but for recovering shadows, highlights, saturation, contrast etc...just general smartening up of an image, or even changing colours with a fancy colour wheel, but not cutting peoples' heads off and plonking them on a Gorilla or something. I don't need that type of processing that Photoshop does. Just a straightforward smartner upper.

What do I need to get please - ONE PROGRAM, not do part in one and then somethig else in a different one, because to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't know how to do it. That is far too complicated for my abilities.

I prefer Capture One Pro. But there are other options. Iridient Developer, Lightroom, Photoshop, and OnOne Raw are all worth a look and have free trials.

Personally - I use Lightroom only about 70% of the times. The remaining 30% is Lightroom and X-Transformer (convert the RAF to DNG and complete the work in Lightroom). That 30% is for pictures that require more sharpening. Files processed through X-Transformer "behave" visibly better on Lightroom when it comes to sharpening.

You can download RFC2 from Fuji. It is a free older version of SilkyPix that will only process Fuji files; RAW or Jpeg. If you like it, you can get the latest version of SilkyPix or SilkyPix Pro at a discount. There a lot of good programs out there. I have SilkyPix Designer Studio 7 Pro but also have OnOne Photo RAW 2017 and have been using it mostly, It even allows a lot of adjustments to Jpegs and it treats the Nik Collection as plug-ins.

I've been using Capture One since 2003. My current version is C1v.7, which has been fine because it worked with the Oly E-M5s and Canon 6D I've been shooting for several years. Now the Canon is gone and I have an X-Pro 1 and an X-T20. C1 works with the X-Pro, but not with the T20. I really don't want to buy another converter program right now, and definitely do not want to pay $300 to upgrade my Capture One, which has been getting more and more complex and difficult to use over the years. Actually the last version of C1 that was easy to use was 3.7.

So, I downloaded SilkyPix RFC2 and did a little processing with it. It seems to do an okay job, and I think that after I get used to it, I will not find it any more clunky than C1. But I'll get the Fujifilm RAW-X Studio when it comes out.

My most recent book, "Backroads and Byways of Georgia," shot with the Olys and the Canon is doing well, and I've received the go-ahead from my publisher, Countryman Press, to start work on "Backroads and Byways of Tennessee." I think I will plan on a primarily jpeg workflow, but shoot both jpeg and RAW, in case I occasionally need a RAW file to work with.

Sorry to have been quiet for a while - admin have been informed. I have physiotherapy to work on and hospital visits, so quite literally I haven't picked the camera up since I last posted. This RAW thing seems overly complicated with the Fuji - why do you need two seperate programs to do the one job? My Nikon processor did everything, in fact it is what I am using to work on the Fuji jpegs! It is just so easy to use, Nikon Capture 2 version whatever Nikon Pro manager uploaded for me, because I don't even know how to upload the program updates. I told you at the start I am not techy minded. For example, I have no idea how to get music nowadays - so I still use my record player, or for anything else I have to listen to the radio. Getting music is another thing that I cannot understand anymore. Things move faster than I can learn, but I appreciate your efforts - it is just the answers are beyond my capability at the moment.

This is coming... Fujifilm announces development of new RAW conversion system “FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO”

For now, if you want to keep life simple, why not use the built-in raw converter?

I don't have one, there wasn't one in the box with my camera. Apparently there used to be, because other people have said they got a CD with their camera, but I didn't. Maybe it is something Fuji have stopped doing. ???

I shall ask about X RAW Studio from Andreas, the Fuji manager over here. He has been very good in trying to help me get started (hoping I will get the entire publishing house moved over to Fuji I expect - not if we are going to have this kind of difficulty all the time though!) The Nikon system works so seamlessly without needing any of these extra programs and general fafffing - go and do the shoot, come back, download, quick edit - done. The Fuji processing system is just so involved you couldn't run a publishing house with over 120 magazines to get out each month, and a load of weeklies (I don't have any involvement with them).

When Bill says the built in raw processor, he's referring to the raw processor built into the camera.

Nikon is not any simpler than any other manufacturer. You can do quick edits to any image from any camera brand.

Ah - but the screen is so small you can't see the detail you can on a proper computer screen. In fact, isn't that same as just shooting jpeg? I thought jpeg was simply a camera processed RAW...shoot RAW, process to jpeg, save the jpeg and then throw the RAW away....

That is why Fuji is releasing the software to view and control the raw processing from a computer while using the hardware of the camera to do the work.

Shooting jpg is making all of the editing decisions beforehand. Shooting raw is making the decision afterwards. Also giving the option of several raw editing programs to work with, as well as the ability to make different edits without ever changing the original file.

A third option is to shoot jpg with a bracket so you get three versions of the image to choose from.

What's the word on getting critical sharpness for far green foliage these days? Time was, Iridient was the go-to for X-Trans sensors ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Balancing my time between Iridient X-Transformer (real fast and quick) and the free Raw File Converter EX 2.0. So far I'm pretty torn - X-Transformer does a very good job, but I can't help but think I'm missing out on something in the RFC. Still can't put my finger on it. I imagine I'll have more time to do head-to-head comparisons of the RAF files when it's really too cold to go out.

The majority of my shooting is upper midwest scenic. I put a a lot of (too much) value in how well detail holds up under magnification. I had bought the Iridient developer for the X-E1, it did seem to do about the best for green foliage detail. Others including Adobe would smudge that pretty badly.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to repurchase the latest Iridient if I decide to pickup an X-E3 ...

Any tips on how to get good results and workflow for Silkypix please. I have to confess, I haven't even opened it yet, so I have no idea what will greet me when I eventually pluck up the courage (I am not at all confident with anything computery, it will take me time to build myself up to face it). I have a book on the Nikon Capture 2, whichI still refer to when I forget things - that is the only photo processer I have ever seen.

Back