Fuji Fuji service and my mistake.

Iansky

All-Pro
Alas, the locking button on the shutter speed dial on my X-Pro2 stopped working and would no longer operate as intended, I had to hold it down to release the dial from "A" and then it would move freely throughout the range and lock again in "A".

This meant that it had to go back to Fuji UK, registered the repair / heard nothing, made a phone call and had an apology and promise to send out return paperwork / box etc which they did.

I dispatched that camera last week as requested with proof of purchase etc and received it back today apparently with a replacement top cover - opened the box and the top cover was the original ( still had the tape over the eyepiece adjustment wheel) and the problem had not been resolved, it looks like they just put it back in the box and returned it untouched!!!!!!!!!

Made a phone call and got an apology (of sorts) and I now have to return it again for hopefully a proper repair this time!

I hope this is not an omen as a colleague of mine had his 100-400 back to Fuji UK 3 times and in the end got a refund and has now changed brands - I certainly do not want to do that but do expect at least an attempt to fix a problem before sending the camera back.

Needless to say I will be without the camera for another period of time and anxious about the quality of service I receive this time round.

I did send an email to the General Manager of Fuji UK and to my delight have received a personal email back from him with a promise to look into it and get back to me today - now that is good service and I look forward to a satisfactory solution.

Watch this space for the update.

Hey lanky I really hope it was an honest mistake and not business as usual. It will be interesting to hear the outcome.

Hi Mike, it was an honest mistake but on my part!! I had forgotten that the XP2 only locks on the "A" setting rather than each shutter speed like the XT2 does - severe "Brainfart" on my part................so feeling rather ashamed at my rant!

I have sent an apology to Fuji and hope we are still friends:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both, it just served to remind me how easy it is to think both cameras with buttons on the shutter speed dial worked the same way. It is a shame however that when I rang the service centre the gent I spoke to did not point out the error of my ways and misunderstanding and save some unnecessary emails.
I have to say I am however very impressed by the General Manager and then the Service Manager contacting me personally, a real credit to Fuji management that shows they are truely a "listening company".

Thanks to both Theo Georghiades (General Manager) and Mark Prentice (Service Manager) who took their time to communicate with me.

I wish the XP SS locking switch was on/off

Fuji UK do seem like a good bunch, by and large... when I'm next in town they've offered me a 'while I wait' new eyecup service

They are certainly very patient and understanding and in fairness, turned the camera around in 4 days so great service (I remember sending my Leica M8.2 back due to issues and it took a minimum of 3 weeks so by comparison Fuji are miles ahead of the curve).

Only today, I started getting anxious when my camera said there was no more memory despite the fact I'd only taken 2 shots, only to find out at the camera shop that the memory card hadn't been inserted.

Yesterday i convinced myself that my OVF wasn't switching magnification lenses properly as when I tried to force it into using the smaller framelines for the 23, it would only give me ones that were too big for the OVF

After a short while (but slightly longer than I'd like to admit) I realised that the 23 natively uses the smallest framelines already, and unlike my other lenses (which are longer), there was no smaller view available!!

Just goes to show that we do become complacent with our equipment and convince ourselves that our cameras should do something they do not, as cameras have become more like computers than the analogues of old so they offer more functionality than many need or use and in turn this can lead to confusion and entering the black hole of despair and confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back