Fuji Fuji X-A1 is launched

Luckypenguin

Hall of Famer
Name
Nic
It looks like Fuji has officially announced the X-A1:

News | Fujifilm [Japan]

You can find many more links by googling as well.

It does look like all the important bits from the X-M1 are all there including the tilting screen and crucially the twin multi-function thumbdials. The key difference does appear to be just in the sensor where the X-Trans makes way for a more conventional CMOS sensor. This may be the camera that is able to reproduce the look from the original X100 in interchangeable lens form however I do fear that the sensor (assuming it is a variation of the familiar Sony 16MP APS-C sensor) is going to have a somewhat different feel than the older 12MP unit that also did wonderful service in various other non-Fuji camera models as well.

Hmmm... looks like it's being pushed towards women? I thought as much with the colors and all but I'm not going to get into THAT argument again, lol.

I wonder if they'll release X-A1/X-M1 firmware updates with increased customisation features (video button, dial functions), or if they'll reserve this for the higher priced models (i.e. X-E/X-Pro). That would be neat...

If I were Fuji, I would seperate the X-M1 from the X-A1 with firmware, by offering more C modes (instead of putting scene modes on the mode dial), more customization to buttons (video button comes to mind), by enhancing the white balance options, adding more film simulations etc. That would certainly entice enthusiasts to pick the X-M1 oder the X-A1 as heir compact option.

This is pretty interesting! I'm most impressed with the value proposition (I'm sure that was Fuji's aim, too): X-A1 + 16-50 lens for $599.95 which is very reasonable. I'm sure prices will drop eventually and used prices will come down as well.

I'm not in the market for one, but Fuji is certainly doing a good job rounding out their model line, price points, and feature sets.

I'm not touching this one. Perhaps one of our female photographers can explain to me how women buy cameras differently than men.

I was referring to Fuji's presentation for the A1 on their website which features women as the photographer/consumer exclusively. I bet even the dog was a female, lol.

Sorry, I didn't watch the video. I thought you were just stirring the pot. I'm not in the market for one, or I might bet the blue one.

It might be a reasonable proposition to assume I was stirring the pot, lol -- it's something I might do. No apology needed.

If I were Fuji, I would separate the X-M1 from the X-A1 with firmware, by offering more C modes (instead of putting scene modes on the mode dial), more customization to buttons (video button comes to mind), by enhancing the white balance options, adding more film simulations etc. That would certainly entice enthusiasts to pick the X-M1 oder the X-A1 as heir compact option.

That's a good point. That way Fuji would also foster X-Trans adoption...
I'm not happy with the AE-Lock placement on either cameras, or on any interchangeable lens X cameras for that matter, so let's see how they'll address that.

Well, I kind of have mixed feelings here. Taken by itself, the X-A1 doesn't look bad. But then consider Sony's NEX3N for $499 and A3000 for $399 and it's not so clear cut. Yes, I know Fuji offers a nice line-up of excellent lenses. But they're not cheap. If we're talking about the X-A1 appealing to people moving up from point and shoots, the NEX line may have more appeal to that demographic.

I have to admit, I'm feeling a little punched in the gut on the X-M1. I like the camera a lot, but if you'd told me I could have the EXACT same camera, with the change to a Bayer sensor, for $200 less in just a month or two? I'd have taken that option any time. I use the X-M1 in conjunction with the X-E1. On one hand, it's nice knowing that the X-M1 and X-E1 will produce identical files with either camera...but I'd probably rather have the X-A1, which I could then use in situations where X-Trans causes some issues.

I think that if Fuji has made one mistake with camera it has been putting a monetary value on the X-Trans sensor. The question that raises in my mind is whether I might have gone through with my plans to buy the X-E1 when it was released last year if there had also been a $200 cheaper X-Trans-less version...

I have to admit, I'm feeling a little punched in the gut on the X-M1. I like the camera a lot, but if you'd told me I could have the EXACT same camera, with the change to a Bayer sensor, for $200 less in just a month or two? I'd have taken that option any time. I use the X-M1 in conjunction with the X-E1. On one hand, it's nice knowing that the X-M1 and X-E1 will produce identical files with either camera...but I'd probably rather have the X-A1, which I could then use in situations where X-Trans causes some issues.

Exactly the kind of thing Thom Hogan has been saying: http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/fujifilm-introduces-the-x.html

That blog is worth a read. He believes Fuji is making the same kinds of mistakes that other camera makers are making that is costing them profits and buy-in by users by making too many bodies, too quickly, that aren't well differentiated.

Exactly the kind of thing Thom Hogan has been saying: http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/fujifilm-introduces-the-x.html

That blog is worth a read. He believes Fuji is making the same kinds of mistakes that other camera makers are making that is costing them profits and buy-in by users by making too many bodies, too quickly, that aren't well differentiated.

I have to admit, that's what I thought when I heard the announcement - its basically the issues m43 had/has all over again. At least there isn't an add on EVF to confuse things even further...

It's not the exact camera. The X-A1 has a moire filter which will decrease light sensitivity and possibly image quality. The same as the Nikon D800 and D800E.

Back