Fuji Fuji x and wildlife?

battleaxe

Regular
Anyone shoot wildlife with X camera? I'm thinking about switching to Fuji, but I like to shoot wildlife. I started to look at the X cameras because of how low the X-M1, and X-A1 can be had(used). I like the tilting display, but the lack of the EVF is key for me. Then I started looking at the X-E1, and prices are workable(once I sell my gear), but the lack of a tilting display is meh, as is the slightly lower screen quality. X-E2 is better of course but out of my budget. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Edit: As a note for a long while I was shooting with a G2, and 70-210MF lens for wild-life with acceptable results. I feel like I could bond better with the Fuji, vs the Sony SLT I currently have, but I am not 100% sure.

Hi Battleaxe

I guess it depends on what wildlife do you shoot and which X camera are you wanting to get, I’ve shot wild birds, koalas, kangaroos, brushtail possums in a park (in the dark) which are quite elusive and agile. I’ve shot them using the XP-1 with the 35mm lens. I don’t really use the EVF so YMMV, also it doesn’t have a tilting screen and (some people find it) slow to focus. But it’s adequate to take photos of the type of wildlife I shoot, but in saying this, I don’t think I’ll be using the same set up if I was going to take photos of a lion while on safari, for that I’ll probably use a longer lens, like the 18-135 (newly announced, courtesy of Rico and Napier) or the 55-200.

If you’re gonna be shooting a lot of subjects at ground level or mount your camera on a monopod and use it as an extension, then yeah, I can see the importance of the tilt screen which takes the XP-1 and XE-1 out of your options, if you really need the EVF (I know I can’t live without the OVF in my camera) that takes the XM-1, XA-1, and XF-1 out of the equation as well, which leaves you with either the XE-2 or the XT-1 which has the functions that you need, eg. Tilt display and high quality EVF, though you may want to reconsider your budget.

But I digress

Yes the X cameras can shoot wildlife
-Depending on which X camera you get, you can either compromise with the functions with a lower price tag, or compromise with a higher price tag to get more functions.
-The Fuji glass line up not only includes the lenses that you need to shoot wildlife, but they are also very good lenses.
-Another option you may want to consider is to try to get either the XE-2 or XT-1 second hand, ex- demo, etc.. for a lower premium, but the complications of that are another kettle of fish entirely and I won’t get into that. Some people are fine with it and some are not, it’s just an option you may want to consider.

P.S. I also shoot photos of my friends a lot, I do consider them as 'wildlife'

Help me help you, I support my growing family though this web…….oh…..errr………..sorry, wrong place :p

Well it would be like wildlife in the outdoors when hiking, and such. The XE2 is out of my budget even used(though without a lens it comes close, but Id still need a kit lens). Also, I don't think the XE2 has a tilt display, just a larger display vs the XE1. I am kind of tempted by the XE1, but then the XM/A1 seems a bit more tempting because of their size, faster AF, and tilting display, but lack of evf again. Thank you for the reply though.

No worries, well perhaps on Photokina 3 months from now manufacturers may release new items that may cause the prices of current gear to go down, that will give you more leeway, or maybe you can buy Rico a coffee and persuade him to let you in Fuji's secret future releases ;)

Well it would be like wildlife in the outdoors when hiking, and such. The XE2 is out of my budget even used(though without a lens it comes close, but Id still need a kit lens). Also, I don't think the XE2 has a tilt display, just a larger display vs the XE1. I am kind of tempted by the XE1, but then the XM/A1 seems a bit more tempting because of their size, faster AF, and tilting display, but lack of evf again. Thank you for the reply though.

Hi, I'm an avid hiker and I've found my answer in the X-M1 (as said elsewhere equipped with the XF 27mm fits very well in the rucksack). It's ok for landscapes, bears, marmots, vipers, chamoises and, last but not least, ibexes.

I usually use an EVF for wilidlife shooting. But the price of the X-M1 and X-A1 are tempting(both cost the same used), which is why I started looking at the X-E1, which has an EVF, but slower af(?) at least vs the newer X models.

For me, at least, one of the biggest drawbacks to the Fuji system at present is a lack of a good long lens, in the 400mm+ range. This would be useful to me for wildlife and sport. A 1.4x teleconverter would be a help, but failing either for now, don't forget that you can fit a whole range of really good legacy lenses with an appropriate adaptor. I am particularly partial to Olympus OM myself, but other systems exist ;) You lose AF, of course, but that is not always a problem with wildlife, when pre-focussing can be faster and more useful.

Does the X-A/M1 offer focus tracking or is that only for the X-E2 and X-T1?

And if the X-A1 and X-M1 both cost the same(at least used, new obviously the M1 cost more), which should one choose if they rather not deal with RAW at the moment(I have a windows RT device and working with RAW is kind of a headache).

Ah then I shall call upon my colleagues on your side of the pond to chip in. I don't think that a recommendation of "London Camera Exchange in Guildford" would be of much use to you ;)

No. I noticed KEH has some deals on them, but want to know if there are also other places to check.

On a site note I read that with the X-E2 you can change focus peaking colors. I take that's not possible with the X-E1? What about with the X-M1?

No. I noticed KEH has some deals on them, but want to know if there are also other places to check.

On a site note I read that with the X-E2 you can change focus peaking colors. I take that's not possible with the X-E1? What about with the X-M1?

Have you checked out B&H Photo? They have a very good reputation. I've purchased a number of new cameras from them, so I don't know their used policies, but they are certainly highly regarded in the camera world.

Back