Fuji Fuji X-E1 killed the Nikon kit for me

Amin

Hall of Famer
I recently bought a Nikon D600, 50/1.8G, and Sigma 35/1.4. Both of those lenses are fantastic, but after using the Fuji X-E1 these past couple weeks, I sold off the Nikon kit.

Horses for courses, of course. I don't shoot sports, ultrawide, tele, much off camera flash, wildlife, or any number of things where the Nikon might do better. If I want to shoot very low light or shallow DOF, the Fuji does both of those enough for me. Plus the Fuji scores 100x higher in the all-important "want to use it" category. So goodbye again, Nikon. I'm sure I'll be back some day!

Horses for courses, you are right.

I'm not finding a fit for the Fuji. It is an EXCELLENT camera, but I cannot seem to squeeze it in between m43 and FF, so I am thinking of returning it and either upgrading my FF body (5d classic to 5dii or 6d) or getting a new lens (135L, or maybe 70-200/2.8 or the Oly 75).

Nothing wrong with the XE1, maybe just not for me...

It's a fine camera. I think if I had never tried m43, I'd be fine with it. But I'm finding it really no different than my EPL5 in output, and it's bigger than my EPL5.

Now, part of that is that I'm using the XE1 w/kit lens. I am sure it'd be a different experience if I shot the 35/1.4, but I've already got the PL25 for my EPL5 and an 85/1.8 for my ff, so my portrait needs are covered. I really think it's just how/what you shoot. I need the FF for certain shoots I do, and so it's staying around. If I wasn't regularly shooting events with kids, I wouldn't need FF, and might be fine with the Fuji. YMMV.

Amin, I missed your D600 sale. Was waiting for it to show up, lol. Did you list on FM, or just sell it privately?

edit: stink! I should have pinged you. I would have bought it for that price. I've been pondering a switch to Nikon. Oh well. Enjoy the Fuji! Which lenses are you going to roll with?

Part of it for me was that I went out with just the Nikon D600/50 combo and the X-E1/35 combo. In terms of image quality they are very close, but the Fuji was much more enjoyable to use. I also find the Fuji X-E1 autofocus to be really excellent. Sometimes the Nikon won't AF at all, and sometimes it just AFs wrong. The Fuji doesn't have the fastest AF around, but it always focuses, and it always gets the focus right.

Amin, I missed your D600 sale. Was waiting for it to show up, lol. Did you list on FM, or just sell it privately?

edit: stink! I should have pinged you. I would have bought it for that price. I've been pondering a switch to Nikon. Oh well. Enjoy the Fuji! Which lenses are you going to roll with?

Sorry, didn't know you were in the market for that! For the Fuji I'm staying with the 35/1.4 and 18-55 for now. My brother gave me a nice Leica M6 yesterday, and I'm using part of the Nikon sale money to re-buy a Zeiss ZM 35/2, a lens I've always wanted. I had sworn off film, but the M6 has such a nice feel to it. Very similar in size and feel to the X-E1 in fact.

Congratulations on the M6 ownership, Amin. That's a fantastic gift from your brother. And I think it's great that you have a clear idea of what you want and need in your kit. Many people are very enthusiastic about the latest generation of lower-priced full-frame cameras. And I'm thrilled for them if that's what they want and need. Me, I'm totally cool with APS-C and micro four thirds.

Bill, I sold the Bessa R3A and Nokton in part to pay for the Nikon. Funny how these things happen.

Btw - it's crazy how much M mount lenses have gone up in price! Used to be pretty easy to find a v2 or v3 35mm Summicron for under $1k. Now seems impossible to find them anywhere near that price. All the M-Hexanon, Zeiss ZM, and CV lenses I used to own have gone way up in price as well.

I just bought a ZM 35/2.0 Biogon for the M6. It was a tough choice between that and the smaller Summarit. Part of me wanted to go with a Leica lens for my Leica camera, but I'm no purist, and I think the Biogon will suit me better.

I recently bought a Nikon D600, 50/1.8G, and Sigma 35/1.4. Both of those lenses are fantastic, but after using the Fuji X-E1 these past couple weeks, I sold off the Nikon kit.

Horses for courses, of course. I don't shoot sports, ultrawide, tele, much off camera flash, wildlife, or any number of things where the Nikon might do better. If I want to shoot very low light or shallow DOF, the Fuji does both of those enough for me. Plus the Fuji scores 100x higher in the all-important "want to use it" category. So goodbye again, Nikon. I'm sure I'll be back some day!

So when are you selling your m43 gear?

Bill, I sold the Bessa R3A and Nokton in part to pay for the Nikon. Funny how these things happen.

Btw - it's crazy how much M mount lenses have gone up in price! Used to be pretty easy to find a v2 or v3 35mm Summicron for under $1k. Now seems impossible to find them anywhere near that price. All the M-Hexanon, Zeiss ZM, and CV lenses I used to own have gone way up in price as well.

I just bought a ZM 35/2.0 Biogon for the M6. It was a tough choice between that and the smaller Summarit. Part of me wanted to go with a Leica lens for my Leica camera, but I'm no purist, and I think the Biogon will suit me better.

Guess you missed your retirement investment vehicle. m-mount lenses!

This is slightly off subject, but can anyone here render and opinion on similiar focal length m-hexanon vs. ar-
hexanon glass for adaptive (digital) bodies. I've never used any of the rangefinder glass.

I loved the ZM 35/2 Biogon. It was definitely better optically than the 35 Cron v4 (aka "bokeh king"). I also had the ZM 35/2.8 Biogon, which was another excellent lens. Looking forward to your film photos! What film did you get?

Hmm, I'm not entirely surprised. Though the D700 was my most loved camera ever (and I think I might be the user on all Amin's sites combined who's owned or at least used the most different digital bodies in the past 12 years, with or without mirror), and the D600 looks on paper to be even better, but weirdly enough I have to close to zero desire to try/carry/own one.
OTOH I was almost sick with lust over the X-E1 until a good friend of mine lent me his to play with for the week. Now i'm at peace, knowing it's a wonderful camera... but that I slightly prefer my NEX 7 over.
There are systems for everyone's needs, and that's the beauty of it. I haven't found the perfect cam yet, but let's say that a Panny GX-1 with either a NEX 7 or X-E1's chip in it would be welcome. Frankly the GX-1's UI and overall speed, touchscreen, super fast and accurate AF in ANY kind (or lack) of light was very close to perfect, but I can't be happy with m4/3, that's just me. Yet as wonderful both the 7 and X-E are, I'll always pine for a little more speed.
One thing I can ay about the X-E (and it was true of my D700 as well, though I'd had Nikons for ever) there is a real learning curve to the camera, and this despite owning and loving a X10. Maybe it's because I'm a strict jpg shooter, so I need to get my settings (WB in particular) right at once. I'm struggling with that a bit. But the underwhelming results I got in the beginning were NOT due to the camera, only to user trial and error. I'm starting to get more and more WOW factor shots now, and yes, when I nail it, it tops the NEX 7. Not by a huge margin (it's actually very slight and quite hard to quantify) but there is a little *something* that has been losely described as the Fuji mojo, and that's the closest description I can think of.
Yes this camera grows on you, but you need to build a relationship wiht it, and not demand or expect greatness from the box. Personally I've been very confused with the various DR modes on the Fujis, and things really started to click on the X-E when I went with DR100, Highlights +1 and Shadows -1.
I'm seriously starting to wonder how I'm gonna like giving it back to its rightful owner.?...

Back