Fuji Fuji X-E1 killed the Nikon kit for me

I loved my M6 Zeiss 21mm combo, but to shoot the way I wanted.....I'd have to be a billionaire. No room to process in my apartment, retired....cost of film and process impact on pension. I shed a wee small tear when it went.......but smiled again with the XE1. I still have my 5d with 17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200L f2.8 IS.....and I am frightened to let go in case I regret it. That 70-200 f2.8L IS is an absolute stonker and I have pulled some astonishing clarity out of it which the Fuji will never match. I have a Whitby panorama taken on a windy day at the thick end of the 70-200 at long exposure, 9 shots all stitched in p/shop

go into flickr and look at the original size

8057882076_5f5d667e14_b.jpg

Whitby Panorama (needs to be downloaded to appreciate) by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

or this Tower of London (again, in flickr....look at original file)

8001147300_d9270a288f_b.jpg

Tower of London Panorama by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr
If I can replicate with the Fuji, it's all gonna go and cash towards a Z4 BMW!!!

Boy, that D600 didn't last long :D

It's funny, we've discussed your experience with the Nikon gear on mu-43.com some, and I am struck by how different our experiences have been. I liked branching out to a D600 so much I ended up getting a D800 :)rolleyes:), and I enjoy the AF system perhaps most most of all. I think it's simply as you say, horses for courses, and much to do with how each of us uses our gear that results in such a different takeaway.

But most important of all is what you mentioned - the "want to use it" category! I use my Fuji gear considerably less often than the Nikon and m4/3 stuff, but I can't seem to bring myself not to have at least one X camera around. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for that rangefinder aesthetic... clicky aperture ring, shutter speed and exposure comp dials, retro styling, and of course the Fuji "look" to the images :2thumbs:

New to the forum, and have a similar experience. Sold the d800 and lenses for the Fuji X-e1 and am more than satisfied. After having a Leica M9 for a few years and moving to dSlR due to overall costs, I couldn't get used to the size. The fuji is perfect. I have both an old canon 55 1.2 and a Nikon 55 1.2 for portraits and the 35 and kit zoom. Great kit. I am seriously considering the 14 as the WA zoom looks to be a while and the zeiss 12 also could be a while... Anyone know eta on the zeiss?

I recently bought a Nikon D600, 50/1.8G, and Sigma 35/1.4. Both of those lenses are fantastic, but after using the Fuji X-E1 these past couple weeks, I sold off the Nikon kit.

Horses for courses, of course. I don't shoot sports, ultrawide, tele, much off camera flash, wildlife, or any number of things where the Nikon might do better. If I want to shoot very low light or shallow DOF, the Fuji does both of those enough for me. Plus the Fuji scores 100x higher in the all-important "want to use it" category. So goodbye again, Nikon. I'm sure I'll be back some day!

Thanks Amin:)
I almost bought D600 body for AUD1600 from a friend of mine but changed my mind. I am also thinking of adding XE1 or XPRO 1 to my kit and especially 35mm 1.4 and 18-55 mm lens .I totally agree and that so called wafer thin DOF is not for me and what ever OMD and Fuji provides is more than enough for me .
Cheers

Having said in this thread I was frightened to let the 5D etc go, I now have a 100s to add to the Sex-E1..........from the proceeds of the sale of my beloved 70-200 f2.8 L USM Mk2!!! Next to go will be the 24-105 L.....followed by the 17-40L and the 5D Mk 2.

I have a huge amount of confidence that the Fuji's will do what I want with my line of photography (night scapes and street)

Canon....darling.....it was great while it lasted....you did me proud. But i have fallen for a younger, more vivacious, supple one that excites me more than you do. Call me shallow....I know, but really it is goodbye.

Thanks Amin:)
I almost bought D600 body for AUD1600 from a friend of mine but changed my mind. I am also thinking of adding XE1 or XPRO 1 to my kit and especially 35mm 1.4 and 18-55 mm lens .I totally agree and that so called wafer thin DOF is not for me and what ever OMD and Fuji provides is more than enough for me .
Cheers

But but, aren't you the original m43 evangelist? How dare you even pretend to suggest to use another system. Back to mu43.com you go. :p

But but, aren't you the original m43 evangelist? How dare you even pretend to suggest to use another system. Back to mu43.com you go. :p

Lol .. I am a double agent in the enemy camp . If I need I find faults with Fuji.. I have to use their cameras lol . Anyway , it's cheaper to own FujiXE1 with 18-55 than Buying Panasonic 12-35mm lens .
Cheers

Back