Fuji Fuji X-e1 vs X-e2s

verysame

Rookie
Hi,

I'm playing with the used X-E1 and I'm wondering what's the main difference with the X-E2s.
Considered for about $200 more I can get a brand new X-E2s, I'm really thinking whether it would be worth to spend the extra 200 bucks or stick to my X-E1.
I already have an X-T10 but I love the rangefinder style, a lot, which is why I wanted the X-E1.
Is there any serious advantage buying the X-E2s?
For instance, is the command dial programmable?
As usual, I'll do some research online trying to get some details.
Thanks for any info.

Best,
Andrew

What Bobby said. However, beyond the AF etc I’d like to point out that the your E1 has the same sensor and some like its rendering best of all three sensors. If you can deal with the AF and handling of the XE1, it can still produce superb images. The E2s should perform pretty similarly to the XT10.

You say you can get a new X-E2s for about $200 more then the used X-E1? If your buying the new X-E2s from a Fuji retailer then your paying too much for the X-E1 in my opinion, unless Im missing something. Im not trying to knock you or what your doing just saying.....

Having just recently looked through some of my work with the X-E1, I agree with Anthony about the rendering. The X-E1 is capable of fantastic images.

Thank you all for the information!
I don't use automatic focus, only old manual lenses, so probably I wouldn't gain that much.

@mikEm13 the x-e1 costed me $215. When I look for it either on eBay, Amazon, or keh, I can't find any listing cheaper than that (maybe a few bucks, but not significantly). Did I pay too much?

Thank you all for the information!
I don't use automatic focus, only old manual lenses, so probably I wouldn't gain that much.

@mikEm13 the x-e1 costed me $215. When I look for it either on eBay, Amazon, or keh, I can't find any listing cheaper than that (maybe a few bucks, but not significantly). Did I pay too much?

No you didn't at all.

As others have said, the price on that XE1 sounds way high. Don’t forget that there is an XE2 between the two Even though there is little difference between the XE2 and XE2S, all three are discontinued but, the S is still available new while it’s getting harder to find a new 2. I’m in the process of selling my XE2 and research showed the average price is around $350-400 and an XE1, $200 +/-

Today I have finally had the chance to the test the X-E1.
I love the JPGs! The colors from this camera are superb!
And I like a lot of things about this camera. The simplicity: for some reason, I find it better than dealing with the X-T10 or even the X-T2! That's, of course, only my personal taste.
I like urban photography and I only need a few, simple commands to deal with. Not sure what it is, but those few buttons on the X-E1 fit perfectly my needs. And it's compact, I like the size and the feeling.
The only thing it could push me toward the X-E2s at this point is if Fuji addressed that lag feeling. Basically (and I experienced this especially at night), after I half press the shutter button before I take the shot, the EVF freezes for a very brief moment, and then it picks up again. So, there's a short moment, yet noticeable, where the "action" stops. Now, if this lag it's been fixed in the X-E2s, that could convince me to upgrade.
But then in case they did fix it, the question is: are the colors the same? I have read comments from shooters who remains faithful to the X-E1 saying that its colors are still different (and some say "superior") from the other X-E cameras.
What do you people think? Are the colors the same? Is it the lag fixed in the X-E2s? @BobbyT, is that the improvement you were referring to in your reply above?

Thanks for any insight.

Best,
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the lag is fixed in everything from the X-E2 on. Fuji fixed the lag, which required a hardware upgrade, and quickly released the X-E2. It's been so long since I have shot with the X-E1 that I don't want to say for sure that the colors and rendering are exactly the same. But I can say with confidence that the colors and rendering are amazing on every Fuji body. And are very close in each model. The lag is the main reason I switched from the X-E1 to the X-E2.

I am considering picking up a X-E1 for a daytime camera and to compare the color/rendering to the current sensors.

I shot a friend's XE1 quite a few times, and I borrowed a diffferent friend's XE2 for a trip to Africa, to act as the 2nd body, with the 18-55 stuck to it 24/7. The XE2 is much, much more responsive. I loved everything about it, with one glaring exception: Fuji tied the shooting "view mode" decision to the jpg review "view mode" decision. If you're shooting in "EVF + Sensor" to save battery, then brother, you're reviewing your jpgs in EVF+Sensor too, unless you feel like switching it back and forth every time. A really simple little line or two of code gone wrong, and never fixed in subsequent software updates. A rare botch for Fuji, and I don't think they've ever done it again on any newer body.

Back