Fuji Fuji X-E2 Updated with X-T1 Speed Refresh Rate, Quick Face Detection Access, etc!

napilopez

Name
Napier Lopez
fujifilm_16405018_x_e2_mirrorless_digital_camera_1008069.jpg

If there's one thing you've got to grant to Fuji, it's that they really do care about brand loyalty.

One of the hallmark features of the much-lauded X-T1 is its viewfinder. Much of this is because it's simply huge--larger than any FF digital camera--but it's also because of its admirable responsiveness. At just 0.005 seconds lag time and a refresh rate of 200 frames per second, any delay between real-world movement and the viewfinder is rendered negligible. With its newest firmware update, Fuji has brought that same responsiveness to the X-E2. This even applies in challenging low light settings, where it would previously slow down.

The X-E2 shares the same OLED viewfinder display as the X-T1, but simply doesn't have the room for the the optics in the latter to allow for its huge magnification. So while you may not be able to get the sheer size of the viewfinder in the X-T1, you still have the same resolution, and now, the same responsiveness.

Other notable changes in the firmware include red and blue focus peaking color options, as well as functionality for the Fn buttons for activating face detection and cycling through the EVF/LCD display preferences. Still not as good as a native face detection option that simply works concurrently with your regular AF settings, but allowing it to be added to an Fn button will certainly be quicker than needing to dive into a menu. I'll certainly appreciate it for portraiture.

To download firmware v2.00 for the X-E2, as well as more details on these and other changes, visit Fuji's website: X-E2 | Firmware | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – Global

Fuji creates wonderful hardware. But more importantly, this care for their customers after products have been released is probably the best thing about the company. While the bug fixes are nice and the adding of more software customization options is certainly appreciated, I don't think many people were expecting Fujifilm to improve an older camera with one of the best features of its flagship model. It significantly increases the value proposition of the X-E2, even if at a bit of an expense for the X-T1.

It's this sort of behavior from a large company that makes people want to stick around, and others make the switch. Other brands have been taking notice and have started to implement more meaningful software improvements too, but no one does it quite like Fuji.

Fuji X-E2 Updated with X-T1 Speed Refresh Rate, Quick Face Detection Access, ...

Woohoo! Almost perfect... Almost....

Why not utilize the left and right directional buttons as other fn buttons? I Don't know about everyone else but I already use the AF & AE buttons as is and fn2 button dedicated for double exposure. Utilizing left and right buttons would be perfect to set more functions similar to the wonderful x-t1.

Also, when setting to use "evf+eye sensor" the playback doesn't show on the lcd like the xt1 does. Am I missing a setting? I only wish they could combine this setting with the "disp back" button somehow.

Hopefully fuji catches on and issues another update sooner than later.

==================

Just adding more firmware wish list items..

When shooting in manual mode..

1. The ability to automatically switch to LCD screen view after removing your eye from the sensor. I personally use EVF + sensor the majority of time. This change will help tremendously as switching view modes takes time and a quick auto switch to viewing the scene via LCD would be great and less stress on our eyes. Lets face it. The viewfinder is great but LCD view for shooting manual especially in dim lighting is a must.
2. When using split screen to have the ability to zoom in (in full screen) 1x and 2x by pressing the focus assist button or turning front or rear dial and then revert back to split screen by zooming out.

Keep up the good work Fuji!

that's what i'm saying, re: 'left' & 'right' buttons. i actually want stealth mode back to 'back'.

now, i could be mistaken, but either on the x-e1 or x100s, weren't we able to have separate custom display settings between evf and live view?

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Back