Fuji X-E3 vs Oly Pen F

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
The Pen F was a great camera. If the AF works for you it’s a fun camera to use and it is beautifully made. It’s a great jpeg camera with lots of really useful image adjustment options.
I forgot I was going to add something here:

The AF of my X70 was one of the reason I got the X-E3. The X70 is fine for a lot of what I tend to shoot when I'm out and about. But there are times when the single point AF is just not fast enough. I know the AF tracking of the X-E3 is better than that on the Pen F, but single point AF on m4/3 is really pretty darn quick. And it's rare that I don't know I'll need track/phase AF ahead of time and I have the E-M1.2 for that.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Update:

The refurb Pen F went back to Olympus. Three reasons:
  • Hot shoes seemed a little flaky, I could get the flash not to trigger about as easily as I could get it to trigger.
  • It was silver (prefer black) and it was a bit beat. I've gotten a few things from Oly refurb'd (as have others here and on mu-43) and the condition was a bit surprising (the mode dial was banged up, hard to do to a metal dial).
  • It had 22,000 shots, yes 22,000. Kind of explains the condition and I was kind of shocked it was that high.
But I found one over on DPR so now I have a nearly new Pen F (145 shots) and 17mm f/1.8 to go with my E-M1.2.

How does it compare to the X-E3 and X70?

AF on the X-E3 was better in lower light and lower contrast situations. However because single point AF is so fast and the lenses AF so quickly, the Pen F seems faster in general use. The X70 was a bit slower even with the hybrid PDAF+CDAF, that probably comes down to the lens.

I'm sure I'll miss the size and weight of the X70. The Pen is heavier than the X-E3, but the Fuji lenses make up for some of that.

I REALLY wish the Pen F was a tilt screen instead of articulated. I'll miss that from the X70, but something is better than nothing on the X-E3. Looking over the stuff I shot for SiJy I know half had the screen tilted, Sure I could have used the X-E3, but it was easier with it.

One of the things that drew me to the Fuji (the X70 and X-E3) was in use they made me want to slow down the process a bit. So far I think the Pen F will do the same.

But as I mentioned, one of the things that was bugging me was how the X-E3 handled differently with my different lenses. On the Pen I actually found I can change the exposure comp dial to be flash comp. Yes this means that the dedicated dial is less useful. But it allows me to set the f/r control dials to function exactly the same as they do on the E-M1.2. For me that's a plus.

There are a few things I have to finish syncing up. But for now I think I made the right choice. My only real "decision" right now is do I get the Pan 14mm or just use the Pan 12-32 I already have for my really small kit? Or do I get a slightly larger bag/pouch that will fit the Pen F and 17mm?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
Get the Oly 17mm f/1.8. It's an essential Oly lens. And get the 12mm f/2.0, too. But if you can only afford one at a time, get the 17. And a bag. I have an Ona Bowery for my Pen F kit. It carries the Pen with one lens attached, 2-3 other Oly primes, the flash, a third-party battery charger and an extra battery and memory card.

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Get the Oly 17mm f/1.8. It's an essential Oly lens. And get the 12mm f/2.0, too. But if you can only afford one at a time, get the 17. And a bag. I have an Ona Bowery for my Pen F kit. It carries the Pen with one lens attached, 2-3 other Oly primes, the flash, a third-party battery charger and an extra battery and memory card.
That's the 17 on the Pen F, it's do I get a larger pouch? I also already have the Bowery and a Think Tank Speed Changer. The Pen F + 12-32 or 14mm (like the GX85 with either and the X-E3 + 27mm) fit in a great smaller option, the National Geographic NG 1153. It weights next to nothing and can even fit a large jacket pocket. It's a bit smaller than a Mirrorless Mover 5.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
I'd stick with the 12-32mm. I've probably bought ten copies of the 14mm 2.5 lens and I always sell them! Plus I think the 12-32mm focuses a tad faster. The Pan 15mm 1.7 is a nice lens though, and I like it better than the 17mm 1.8!

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
Definitely worth trying out the 17 in a shop as opposed to through eBay. I remember from my time in m43 that some were better than others. The good ones were really good.

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Definitely worth trying out the 17 in a shop as opposed to through eBay. I remember from my time in m43 that some were better than others. The good ones were really good.
The O17 I got with the Pen seems pretty good, I've had a few and not really had a bad one.

I'd stick with the 12-32mm. I've probably bought ten copies of the 14mm 2.5 lens and I always sell them! Plus I think the 12-32mm focuses a tad faster. The Pan 15mm 1.7 is a nice lens though, and I like it better than the 17mm 1.8!
Ten? You beat me on that one. I think 4-5 is the most I've had of any one lens. The though of the 14mm is more a size and that I liked the X70's 28mm eq. I go back and forth between liking 28mm and 35mm.

I have a thread (from a couple years back) on the PL15 over on mu-43. Something like the "best lenses you don't like". I've owned it 2-3 times and just don't get along with it. After realizing one of the reasons I was having issues with the X-E3* I have to wonder if I was having the same issue with the PL15?

I'll probably just sit tight for now, Olympus updated their lens roadmap and included an "ultra-compact M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-45mm F4.0 PRO". I doubt it will be as small as the Pan 12-32, but it does sound like it would be a good fit for the Pen and for the E-M1.2 when I don't want to carry the 12-100. Time will tell, but they were pretty good about getting the 12-200 out once the details were released.

*On one body you control "A" for this lens here, other lenses or this lens on other bodies, you control "A" there. Very similar to how the X-E3 worked with the 18mm and 27mm lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom