Fuji Fuji X-H2

Size and weight is all relative IMHO, and partially dependent upon how it interacts with a persons hands/ fingers.

Of Fuji's DSLR-styled bodies, the X-H1 is the only one really useable for me, and still is a bit cramped. Control size and placement is a bit small and fiddley for me. X-T series is slightly more so, and the X-S10 is too small for me.

Fuji's rangefinder-style bodies like the X-Pro and X100 series, and the X-E1 & 2 work for me due to control placement. Newer X-E series bodies and smaller bodies don't work for me.

Personally, I like the X-H1. I hope the 2 has the improvements I need in the AF department, larger buffer, faster buffer clearing, improved EVF. I also hope they don't remove more control points, add a selfie LCD, and make the camera smaller.

Really looking forward to further info.

I gave the X-H1 consideration thanks to the relatively cheap used prices you can get them for now, but the X-T3 won out for me, it’s about perfect. The X-T4 took a step forward with IBIS, but a step back with the fully articulated screen, IMO. I forgot how much I missed the flip out screen. I’m sure the X-H2 and X-T5 will be quite the cameras if the rumors about the sensor holds true.

The X-H1 with the grip was a really comfortable package. I never use grips, but the X-H1 came with the grip. The ergs and the three batteries meant I used it more with the grip than not. The X-H2 will make no sense for me but I'll probably be tempted anyway.

Personally, I like the X-H1. I hope the 2 has the improvements I need in the AF department, larger buffer, faster buffer clearing, improved EVF. I also hope they don't remove more control points, add a selfie LCD, and make the camera smaller.

Really looking forward to further info.
For me the key feature will be the "selfie LCD". If the X-H2 retains the current model's 2-way tilt screen then I'll be really tempted to go all in on Fuji. If they switch to a fully articulated screen (which I fear is a strong possibility), then I'll be more likely to stick with M43 and "settle" for moving upgrading to an E-M1.3 or OM-1.

- K

For me the key feature will be the "selfie LCD". If the X-H2 retains the current model's 2-way tilt screen then I'll be really tempted to go all in on Fuji. If they switch to a fully articulated screen (which I fear is a strong possibility), then I'll be more likely to stick with M43 and "settle" for moving upgrading to an E-M1.3 or OM-1.

- K

Honestly, I'm not optimistic. Fuji has been on a design trend in a direction away from what I need and prefer. Looking at costs to change systems (again), I might have to stop shooting mil aviation stuff. Not sure what I'm going to do gear-wise if Fuji makes the 2 less useable for my needs.

Honestly, I'm not optimistic. Fuji has been on a design trend in a direction away from what I need and prefer. Looking at costs to change systems (again), I might have to stop shooting mil aviation stuff. Not sure what I'm going to do gear-wise if Fuji makes the 2 less useable for my needs.
The industry trend is definitely in favor of selfie screens, so I don't have a lot of hope either. I'd put the odds of a tilt screen at maybe 5:1 against. The rumors of there being two X-H2's give me a little hope — maybe they could give the video-focused version the selfie screen (for the vloggers) and maintain the tilt screen on the stills version. That's probably just misplaced optimism, though.

If the selfie screen comes to pass on the new camera, it would be good for my pocketbook. It's exceedingly rare that my current gear is the reason my images aren't better, anyway.

- K

The industry trend is definitely in favor of selfie screens, so I don't have a lot of hope either. I'd put the odds of a tilt screen at maybe 5:1 against. The rumors of there being two X-H2's give me a little hope — maybe they could give the video-focused version the selfie screen (for the vloggers) and maintain the tilt screen on the stills version. That's probably just misplaced optimism, though.

If the selfie screen comes to pass on the new camera, it would be good for my pocketbook. It's exceedingly rare that my current gear is the reason my images aren't better, anyway.

- K

Same with regard to my image quality. The camera and lens performance can be an issue with some of my hobby shooting, and that's where the X-H1 is a bit inadequate.

When will Fuji announce the X-H2?
The rumor mill says that the announcement will come in May 2022 at the Fuji X Summit.
I havent seen a date for this event confirmed as yet.
As a user of both Nikon and Fuji cameras this event will be very interesting to me as I am looking to rationalise my camera equipment to either Fuji or Nikon.

Well, in the last couple of weeks it's been rumored that there will be two different grips. Whether that means different functionality between grips, or different sized batteries/ bodies...

Also one will be the "S" version, supposedly confirmed rumor as the 26mp version.

Awaiting news with anticipation and minor trepidation.

The eternal battle of the screen. Camera makers just can't win this one. I assume making two different options is too expensive or it would have been done. OTOH, maybe we are just kidding ourselves and the vast majority of buyers don't care. I wonder what groups will buy the XH2, either model. It is big for an APS-C camera. Their other recent camera, the X-S10 was clearly aimed at those that preferred the more modern interface but still like Fuji. As I've said before, I find the X-S10 ergonomics a lot like the Oly E-M1, which is one reason I like it so much. Dedicated dials vs. assignable dials are not a real issue for me.

Last edited:
The eternal battle of the screen. Camera makers just can't win this one. I assume making to different options is too expensive or it would have been done. OTOH, maybe we are just kidding ourselves and the vast majority of buyers don't care. I wonder what groups will buy the XH2, either model. It is big for an APS-C camera. Their other recent camera, the X-S10 was clearly aimed at those that preferred the more modern interface but still like Fuji. As I've said before, I find the X-S10 ergonomics a lot like the Oly E-M1, which is one reason I like it so much. Dedicated dials vs. assignable dials are not a real issue for me.
It's aim is to be a gripped body, so it's not about size, but proper layout and comfort, especially with larger lenses. The question really is, does this style work better for your lens lineup? I prefer the X-T body style as a nice compromise, and I don't want big lenses. I got the 10-24 WR and now I'm wondering if maybe a prime at the UWA end would have been the better choice. Hard to argue with 10mm though. Usually UWAs can't be wide enough for me. :D

It's aim is to be a gripped body, so it's not about size, but proper layout and comfort, especially with larger lenses. The question really is, does this style work better for your lens lineup? I prefer the X-T body style as a nice compromise, and I don't want big lenses. I got the 10-24 WR and now I'm wondering if maybe a prime at the UWA end would have been the better choice. Hard to argue with 10mm though. Usually UWAs can't be wide enough for me. :D
I had the X-H1 with the grip and it was wonderful to use. I can easily see it as a preferred camera for a day of photography. It's just heavy to tote around Disneyworld, which, alas, is typical of my current uses. I really think Fuji is trying to find the range and limits of its lineup and even though most agree they have to trim their line a bit, no one agrees which bodies show be trimmed. I like the idea of one of the XE, XS, XT and maybe two XH, the latter being one video and one high res. Of course, that may still be too many.

The Fuji Rumors site is now reporting sources are saying the Fujifilm X Summit will happen on 31 May. No time given.

Most recent rumors according to the rumor site are that the 26mp version will be announced and available first, the 40mp to follow. And if the rumors end up being correct the X-H2S will have the selfie screen. We'll see at the end of the month.

Selfie (fully articulating) screens are a hard "nope" for me. I actually use the tilt screen with L-brackets and tripods/ monopods.

Back