Fuji Fuji X-H2

... And if the rumors end up being correct the X-H2S will have the selfie screen. We'll see at the end of the month.

Selfie (fully articulating) screens are a hard "nope" for me. I actually use the tilt screen with L-brackets and tripods/ monopods.
Same.

If this rumor is accurate and it has a fully articulating screen, that pretty much kills any interest this camera had for me as a potential (down the road) replacement for my X-H1.

Sadly, tilt screens are basically extinct.

- K

Same.

If this rumor is accurate and it has a fully articulating screen, that pretty much kills any interest this camera had for me as a potential (down the road) replacement for my X-H1.

Sadly, tilt screens are basically extinct.

- K

I have a difficult time believing that "everyone" uses video and selfie screens. And even if more than half who purchase do, there's no reason manufacturers cannot have some photo-centric cameras.

Am I the only one that actually likes the fully articulating screens? The biggest benefit for me is that for 99% of my shooting I do not use the screen, so I can flip it around and hide/protect it.

Having said that, choice is good and I can understand why some do not like the articulating screens.

BTW, I have never taken a selfie :)

Steve

Am I the only one that actually likes the fully articulating screens? The biggest benefit for me is that for 99% of my shooting I do not use the screen, so I can flip it around and hide/protect it.

Having said that, choice is good and I can understand why some do not like the articulating screens.

Steve

Couldn't agree more. People should use what works best for them. Having choices is a good thing. I don't have an issue with those screens for people who prefer that type, I understand some of the use cases/ preferences, even though they don't work well for me. I do have an issue with more and more screens moving to fully articulated and leaving some of us with little or no choice.

Speaking for myself... Fuji's recent design decisions are end-of-line. The changes Fuji has made to the X-Pro, X100, X-E lines have all been in directions that don't work well for me. It may be the same fate for the X-H series as well. If that happens, I have no upgrade/ replacement path with Fuji. We'll know by the end of the month.

Couldn't agree more. People should use what works best for them. Having choices is a good thing. I don't have an issue with those screens for people who prefer that type, I understand some of the use cases/ preferences, even though they don't work well for me. I do have an issue with more and more screens moving to fully articulated and leaving some of us with little or no choice.

Speaking for myself... Fuji's recent design decisions are end-of-line. The changes Fuji has made to the X-Pro, X100, X-E lines have all been in directions that don't work well for me. It may be the same fate for the X-H series as well. If that happens, I have no upgrade/ replacement path with Fuji. We'll know by the end of the month.
I hope Fuji offers you a path that works for you, screen-wise.

Steve

Most recent rumors according to the rumor site are that the 26mp version will be announced and available first, the 40mp to follow. And if the rumors end up being correct the X-H2S will have the selfie screen. We'll see at the end of the month.

Selfie (fully articulating) screens are a hard "nope" for me. I actually use the tilt screen with L-brackets and tripods/ monopods.
I find the same problem with my XS10. The issue is missing on my XT3 as this 'feature' is not there.
The advantage on the XS10 is that I turn the screen to face into the body for protection.

Can't remember the model, but a long time ago I had a camera with a fully articulated (selfie) screen. I initially thought it was great for screen protection. It didn't take long before the constant repositioning, the interference, having to swing it out to use it in any other position than against the back of the camera became a net negative. For me. I understand why some people like these types of rear LCDs. But, they don't work for everyone.

It seems most modern cameras use the same sort of glass found in smartphones. I had a couple dead phones in storage that I once tried to break the screen by dropping, banging on corners, etc. Both took way more abuse than I would have expected, and neither broke. I've only broken one touch screen in my life, and it was from leaving the device on top of a running xbox, where it got crazy hot from blocking the exhaust. Every other device in our household has survived everyday abuse. Your mileage may vary, by I personally don't worry one bit about my camera's rear display, nor do I put a protector on it.

I hope Fuji offers you a path that works for you, screen-wise.

Steve
I speculate that one body will have a flippy screen and the other a tilt. I assume that the camera makers have done some studies and have decided that offering different screens as an option would be bad economically. This makes no sense to me, of course, since I could easily envision a removable screen that unplugs.

Steve
You're almost certainly not the only one. I'm sure that the manufacturers have done extensive studies and polls that have led them to the conclusion that more users want articulating screens than tilt. Your use case of reversing the screen to protect it is one that I've heard from other users as well.

It would certainly be nice if some choice were preserved, but it does seem like the change is inevitable. I realize I'm a dinosaur who one day may be forced to adapt or be left behind. Maybe more manufacturers will find a way to support both camps as Panasonic has done with their GH6 which has an articulating screen mounted in a tilting cradle.

- K

Your use case of reversing the screen to protect it
While protecting the screen is one of the benefits of the arcticulating screen, the main one for me is the "hide" aspect. I prefer to do everything through the viewfinder (or EVF), it makes the workflow more similar when I am switching from digital to film cameras and back again. I also need to put my reading glasses on to use the screen, which may have something to do with it :)

I am perfectly OK with cameras that have a fixed or tilt type screen instead as long as I can turn the screen off.

Steve

Read the following with a large dose of IMHO and a heap of YMMV...

Well, the rumor site has the first "leaked" photos. Horribly bad potato photos as usual. Speculation on things some of us can't discern is rampant. (I guess my computer is still lacking the CSI "enhance enhance enhance" functionality.)

With the low-quality images and not much for reference other than the hand of the person holding the camera to determine size, the speculations on size is a waste of time for now. Same with the EVF, many are claiming the EVF is much larger and honestly I'm not seeing it.

Images seem to show confirmation of the fully articulated screen, and what looks like a layout similar to the X-S10/ GF-X50SII/ GF-X100S while keeping the d-pad.

I expect more "leaked" images showing other parts of the camera, or slightly better quality images, arriving by mid-month. And "leaked" official photos and specs just prior to the X-Summit.

While protecting the screen is one of the benefits of the arcticulating screen, the main one for me is the "hide" aspect. I prefer to do everything through the viewfinder (or EVF), it makes the workflow more similar when I am switching from digital to film cameras and back again. I also need to put my reading glasses on to use the screen, which may have something to do with it :)

I am perfectly OK with cameras that have a fixed or tilt type screen instead as long as I can turn the screen off.

Steve
Yeah, I have a similar barrier with the rear screen, where me peepers just don't like it. That's one thing I will say Fuji does well with the UI, as you can do standard layout in the EVF, but you can go with an enlarged version of the UI on the display. Makes getting around without glasses way easier.

Chris and Jordan’s early X-H2s review:
Too big for my use but I will be curious how well it sells. Unless I’ve missed something, this is certainly the most advanced APS-C out there. The X-H2 might tempt me more.

Funny how individuals view things. For me and my hands/ fingers, the X-H1 is the smallest Fuji DSLR-style body I can comfortably use. The X-H2S is smaller. I tend to mention how we're all different on other sites when the chorus starts to pontificate that one way is best way.

Not sure how it might work for me, the control layout looks OK. AF improvements look good. And that EVF. :yahoo:

But... fully articulated screen. :dash2:

Not sure I can justify the money for a camera that would likely sit idle 90+% of the time.

Hand size is an undeniable variation in photographers. I did always find the XH1 very comfortable in the hand, however. It’s more a question of toting around a larger camera when I’m not out mainly to shoot. The X-T30 and X-S1 just work better for my current usage, and I tend to use primes. My recent experience with the GRiiix doesn’t help either. If I ever did find myself again doing more dedicated shooting activities, I’d give this some thought. I really wonder what screen (tilt or flippy) the X-H2, with 40mp sensor, will have.

Hand size is an undeniable variation in photographers. I did always find the XH1 very comfortable in the hand, however. It’s more a question of toting around a larger camera when I’m not out mainly to shoot. The X-T30 and X-S1 just work better for my current usage, and I tend to use primes. My recent experience with the GRiiix doesn’t help either. If I ever did find myself again doing more dedicated shooting activities, I’d give this some thought. I really wonder what screen (tilt or flippy) the X-H2, with 40mp sensor, will have.

Yup. Amazing how many on the interwebs like to try and disregard differences. I'm a big "use what works best for you" proponent.

I honestly doubt the X-H2 body will differ from the X-H2S when it comes to a major physical feature. From a manufacturing and cost point, I doubt it would make sense for Fuji. (I would love to be incorrect.)

My only thinking on the screen is that Fuji has the chance to have one of each. I have no idea if it really affects sales all the much.

For me, myself, and I... it is unlikely I'll purchase the X-H2S. The screen is the main driver of that decision, by a wide margin. I know I'm not the only one, not sure how much of an impact Fuji will feel. Seems to be a lot of people who like the FAS or will tolerate it. Heck, I'd tolerate it if I knew I'd use the camera enough to justify the expense.

Chris and Jordan’s early X-H2s review...

Too big for my use but I will be curious how well it sells. Unless I’ve missed something, this is certainly the most advanced APS-C out there. The X-H2 might tempt me more.
I don't "need" any of the advanced video features, but I'm hoping the advanced AF and buffer improvements make it to the X-H2 as well (although I don't "need" 40MP either).

Back