Fuji Fuji X Pro 1 and lenses available for preorder at B&H

A little bird tells me that you two aren't the only ones who've pre ordered. I'm going to do my best not to be envious, rather instead, I'm going to choose be excited to see what you all think and most importantly to see your photographs!

A little bird tells me that you two aren't the only ones who've pre ordered. I'm going to do my best not to be envious, rather instead, I'm going to choose be excited to see what you all think and most importantly to see your photographs!

BB, are you implying that I ordered the X pro 1 :confused: You must be terribly confused! Why in the world would I ever do such a thing? :dance3:

You folks are so weak willed. Pre-ordering cameras like that. Haven't y'all seen those bad samples (with viruses too) floating around the internet? Geez. I'm disappointed in all of you.

I'm usually an absolute sucker and am among the first to pre-order. But I'm not going for this system, at least not for a while. I'm sure it'll be wonderful, but between the price and the size, I really don't want to go there. All I'd really like to have that I don't already is a better low light camera in a focal length other than 35mm equivalent. Preferably something like 28. This would get me there, but it would take $2300 plus just for the camera and one lens and I'm not sure I'd want a camera of that size even at half the price (ie, X100 prices). Maybe I'll like it - I'm sure I'll handle one somewhere down the line. But for now, I'm gonna take a look at the OMD or whatever Oly's new body is gonna be called. And if that doesn't quite do it for me, I'll probably just get a GXR with the 28mm lensor. Which I'm kind of leaning toward anyway. Great low light shooter, great Ricoh controls, great street camera, my favorite focal length - sort of a big brother to the GRD3. I could see a small walk-around kit being the X100, GXR 28, and X10 (for those times you just want something a little longer). And then my m43 kit for days when I want ALL of the focal length options...

If the OMD is up to GXR levels in low light, it'll be tempting, but I think m43 is still a ways off of that kind of low light performance, although its pretty great with the 25 f1.4 - that's just not a focal length I use a lot...

-Ray

Since I have pre-ordered at a few different places, normally I would just take the first ones I get and cancel the others, but if I happen to get more than what I want, early, I could send the extra ones to anybody here who wants it at whatever it cost me.

While I understand the motivation to wait, I get the feeling this is the camera I have been waiting for, and if it is, I will be unloading all of my m/43, the remaining GXR/50, the X100 will probably last until the 35mm comes out next year, but the X10 and GRD will stay, along with my vintage Nikon rangefinders

I'm hoping that the OMD1 will get released before I get the XP1. That way I can see what it's all about, and perhaps cancel the XP1 before it arrives (having been so vested with many m4/3 lenses). Or alternatively, maybe the NEX7 will make its way to me before the XP1.

$2300 for a body and lens is a LOT of $ for the XP1. On the other hand, the NEX7 + Zeiss 24/1.8 (my favorite length with the crop factor) is $2200.

I'm with Ray on this. Great system I'm sure, but I'm more interested in something like the new Olympus at the moment. The new Fuji is too big and expensive for my use, and as long as it doesn't have a 35mm equivalent I'm not sure I could adapt to it. I hope you all enjoy it though, and I'll be eagerly waiting to see what kind of results you get.

I'm with Ray on this. Great system I'm sure, but I'm more interested in something like the new Olympus at the moment. The new Fuji is too big and expensive for my use, and as long as it doesn't have a 35mm equivalent I'm not sure I could adapt to it. I hope you all enjoy it though, and I'll be eagerly waiting to see what kind of results you get.

I'm with both of you then.... too large for my needs and price puts it out of reach anyway.

For some reason, I am all of a sudden looking at the X100 again ... GAS went up there after I learned that it shares the same charger/battery with my GXR. I know, a pretty lame reason to buy a new camera. :doh:

I very much enjoy reading the different perspectives.

In terms of specifications, this camera is what I have been looking for. The Nex 7 is close too. I do like the leaked details of the new Olympus, and it sounds like a very nice, versatile M43 camera. The size of the Fuji dos not worry me. Larger than most M43 for sure, but it's the bulk and weight that I look at, and it will still be a much more compact setup than my DSLR and lenses. In actual carry and use, I don't think there will be much difference between it and my M43 kit.

The price is steep, but would allow me to have one system for my needs, which is something I have been wanting.

Back