Fuji Fuji X Pro 1 and lenses available for preorder at B&H

The OM-D1 from Olympus interest's me as I have lots of 43/m43 glass:dance4:

The XP-1 for sure is a Tour De-force in mirrorless .. Wake Up Panasonic and Olympus ... Leica well go away and sulk :eek:

I'm hoping that the OMD1 will get released before I get the XP1. That way I can see what it's all about, and perhaps cancel the XP1 before it arrives (having been so vested with many m4/3 lenses). Or alternatively, maybe the NEX7 will make its way to me before the XP1.

$2300 for a body and lens is a LOT of $ for the XP1. On the other hand, the NEX7 + Zeiss 24/1.8 (my favorite length with the crop factor) is $2200.

Read somewhere that the XP1 won't ship until the end of February. Let's see if Oly can beat Fuji to the punch. Or maybe Sony will beat Fuji.

If Oly and Fuji can get the OMD1 or NEX7 into people's hands quickly, it could decrease (temporarily at least) my and possibly others' interest on the XP1.

Yeah right!

Read somewhere that the XP1 won't ship until the end of February. Let's see if Oly can beat Fuji to the punch. Or maybe Sony will beat Fuji.

If Oly and Fuji can get the OMD1 or NEX7 into people's hands quickly, it could decrease (temporarily at least) my and possibly others' interest on the XP1.

Yeah right!

This could happen, but part of me feels that they are not entirely the same markets, that there is some overlap.

I very much like the idea of the new Olympus, but it seems unlikely to overcome some of the M43 weaknesses (from my perspective). On the other hand, someone who doesn't care about those weaknesses, and just wants a high quality, compact set with interchangeable lenses, will look at Nikon, Pana, Olympus, Sony, Fuji etc, and pick on different criteria.

I have been very happy with M43, but I am greedy and would dearly love one system to cover all my needs. M43 can't (yet) quite do that. Nothing wrong with M43 - I am just asking too much.

But the Nex 7 and Fuji can do it - at a price. Though that price is still lower cost, lighter and much, much less bulky than my DSLR.

Anyway, Armanius you just go ahead now, and get one of each, because I need to know what you think of them. Be a buddy...

I would try each except there is only one real lens so far for the Nex 7 and the new Olympus, while it looks interesting is not what I am looking for.

Y'all crack me up!! I was going to defer to Bob to get one of each! Now I'll just defer to David (Soundimageplus).

Bob is right that the NEX has only one real desirable lens. At least the Zeiss seems widely available now. The less expensive 50/1.8 is nowhere to be found.

I think if the OMD1 has the IQ of a GH2 with the JPG engine of the EP3, the OMD1 will be hands down the best m4/3 camera to this date. If the PL25 doesn't rattle on it, I'll be thrilled!

I think if the OMD1 has the IQ of a GH2 with the JPG engine of the EP3, the OMD1 will be hands down the best m4/3 camera to this date. If the PL25 doesn't rattle on it, I'll be thrilled!

Well, some people prefer Pany bodies for all kinds of reasons and I have no quarrel with that, although I'm an Oly guy myself having had plenty of experience with both. And, so yeah, if you like IBIS and Oly's jpegs, WB, and metering (which I'm personally a lot more comfortable with than Pany's), the new OM-??? should be the best m43 offering to date. Except for the multi-aspect ratio sensor of the GH2 which is pretty nice if you shoot 3:2, as I do - not nice enough for me to switch, but a very nice thing nonetheless. Then again, there are those who prefer a fully articulating screen to the flip up screen it APPEARS the OM-??? will have. I'm not one of those people either, so the new Oly looks like the best m43 for MY needs by about a mile. But even then it depends on some of the details of the EVF and the price whether I actually end up with one. The only thing I've determined for sure is I'm skipping the Fuji X-Pro 1, so with those "savings" (is there anything I CAN'T rationalize? :D) the new Oly is definitely on the table as an option. But I might have to end up with the GXR 28mm unit also for very quiet low light performance at my favorite focal length (a great counterpart to my X100), so a new m43 body may have to wait...

-Ray

Funny I feel the opposite, while the new OM looks interesting for many, it sparks nothing for me, the hybrid viewfinder of the Fuji is far more important to me than any kind of tilting and or articulating screen, never had a desire for one

Speaking of the hybrid VF, I just noticed today on the Fuji Guys video that VF has different built-in magnification levels depending on the focal length of the lens! That's absolute genius!!!

If the Leica rangefinders had something like that, it would make MF long lenses SOOOO much easier!!

Speaking of the hybrid VF, I just noticed today on the Fuji Guys video that VF has different built-in magnification levels depending on the focal length of the lens! That's absolute genius!!!

If the Leica rangefinders had something like that, it would make MF long lenses SOOOO much easier!!

Yeah, it is, but still somewhat limited. It has two levels of magnification - one for the 27mm equivalent and one that will work for the 53 and 90mm lenses. So the 27 and 53mm lenses should show with roughly similar framelines in the OVF, but the 90 will have a relatively small frame that looks to take up about half of the OVF, even with the magnification. And one has to wonder what happens when they come out with a longer zoom lens and the 21mm equivalent wide angle and the UWA zoom? Will the 21mm frame even fit within the OVF? I see the OVF as a wonderful feature for the three prime set they're introducing the camera with (and a heck of a technical challenge already), but I have my doubts about it with wider or longer or zooming lenses. I think one will all but have to use the EVF with those. And its why I think when Fuji talks about less expensive X-Pro bodies down the road, I'd anticipate one or more without the hybrid that will just have an EVF. But, it will be interesting to see how this system evolves, both in terms of lenses and bodies. I think its somewhere between possible and likely that I'll jump into it at some point, but not until I have a chance to see the direction its going as a system.

And, yeah, I'm another one who likes the flip up screen - I guess its a vestige from my TLR shooting youth, but the first time I looked down into one of those LCDs held at belly level with a Nex about a year ago, its like I'd found my way back home. Its ultimately a bigger deal to me than a viewfinder (optical or electronic), although I'd love to have both...

-Ray

I'm not clear on how these diopter lenses work. Do they screw on and do you need a separate one for each focal length, or what?

Yeah, they screw in, but you should only need one unless your eyesight changes a lot during the day - some people have said they have a problem with this. So it should be a mild pain in the posterior when the camera is new and you have to try a few diopter lenses to find the right one, but once you get that sorted it should be a non-issue. As far as different magnification levels for different lenses, it sounds like they have that covered in the OVF for these first three lenses, but how it handles coming UWA and zoom lenses remains to be seen. I continue to think that some future less expensive version of this camera is gonna be EVF only because I thing the OVF is going to be too big a challenge to use with the range of future lenses once they're available. But if they can continue to develop it to pull it off, more power to them!

-Ray

I have been shooting to long because as I order them and Ray is right once they are in there should be no reason to change them, I remembered that in the days of film cameras nobody had adjustable eyepieces, we had screw in ones that we installed on all of our Nikon bodies

Back