Fuji X-PRO 1 Fully Leaked by French Magazine 'Responses Photo'

I just looked up to see when Lent begins - apparently on February 22nd. I am going to do my best to give up drooling for Lent. Until then, all bets are off. :popcorm2:

I love the image quality of my X100 and the idea of having that with optional lenses is very enticing. I can say with almost no doubt that I will not be buying one right away...unless we finally sell our house, daughter becomes gainfully employed and we move to a nice little place in the country.;) Hope springs eternal!

P.S. Janis, it's great to see you here! You've been missed! And Steve, I think you need help.:rofl:

I pre-ordered as well, but I don't actually trust Amazon. They've done pre-order cancels before, and this seems so premature (i.e. before announcement), that I'm expecting the same thing :(

I hope Fuji and Amazon aren't in cahoots -- "Amazon, you put this up as pre-order, we'll see how hot it is, then launch at a higher, lower, or same price, depending on response" lol. I'm joking of course (at least, I think).

On price, many are speculating a euro to dollar mapping of 1:1, putting it at $1300, but rangefinderforum members are saying $1,900 for the body, $2400 for body and lens (not sure what their source is).

We'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Looking hard...

After looking around at the 4/3 cameras on offer at the moment... I find myself being drawn towards a larger sensor size than my LX5.

The Fuji X100 seems the ideal camera... it seems to have EVERYTHING I want in a compact camera... even down to such things as an aperture preview, in-built ND filter and cable release fixing...

However... I think I'll wait until the new Fuji X-PRO1 comes onto the market before I make up my mind totally...

View attachment 47470
View attachment 47471
Photo Rumours
It may be worth going a couple of hundred higher if the specifications warrant it... or waiting for the new model to drive the price down on the X100
;)

If that price holds, I'm out, at least for the near term. I'd mostly want this for the 28mm lens and $2200 is more than I'm willing to spend for a body and a single lens almost regardless of how good. If they come out with some other lenses I'm interested in and the sensor really is capable of magic, maybe I'll hop on the bus later. But I'm happy enough with m43 enough of the time (and the x100 when the light gets real low) to sit tight for awhile. I'll see what new bodies Olympus may announce and will likely add one of those or an ep3 to have a second m43 body. And now maybe the X100 will start looking like a bargain!

-Ray

That certainly is a serious price. But then as is often the case it depends upon budget, and to what you compare it. While I still love M43, I have been waiting for a camera that can cover more of my essential bases. The Nex 7 still looks good for this: a very capable and flexible camera. The Fuji has on paper the potential to be a serious contender too. If the IQ holds up (and based on the X100 I suspect it will) this camera and it's primes are really close to what I seek. It starts to look like great value when I consider it's size/weight/bulk to a DSLR and equivalent lenses.

Anyway, things are looking interesting.

Amazon is sometimes high on their pre-orders but the lens prices where exactly what was reported a couple of days ago so I'm guessing that's the price. I had planned on doing this or the NEX 7 this year so I'm still in. For some reason I just can't get excited about the Sony. This one has every lens I want. The one thing I can see changing on the price is perhaps the $1699 price will include the 35. However, if I was betting I bet it doesn't. Hope I like it because I just pre sold a bunch of photo gear today (which I now have to package up and ship) to get this thing.............

I'm not sure where I read it... but my understanding is that the 35mm comes in a kit with the new Fuji body. Still, that's more than I am prepared to pay right now. Just like I wasn't prepared to pay $1500 for the GH2 with 14-140 zoom. Besides, I'll bet that my K-5 and DA Limited primes can give the Fuji a run for its money

My interest almost exclusively depends on the size. If this is E-P3/X100 sized, I might consider it. If it is M9 sized, then it isn't for me.

What do you think the chances are of it being called anything other than the "X-Pro1"? Is that the official name, or just the temporary moniker it has been given by the various rumours websites?

The body price at Amazon seems higher then the initial rumors. We'll see the real price and body size tomorrow. So far the size was said to be close to M9. The lens sizes are similar among the systems excluding the pancake lenses:

Fuji XF 18mm f/2 R
dimensions: 64.5 x 40.6 mm
weight: 116 g

Fuji XF 35mm f/1.4 R
dimensions: 65.0 x 54.9 mm
weight: 187 g

Fuji XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro
dimensions: 64.1 x 70.9 mm
weight: 215 g

Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA
dimensions: 63 x 66 mm
weight: 225g

Sony E 50mm F1.8
dimensions: 62 x 62 mm
weight: 202g

Pana Leica 25mm 1.4
dimensions: 63 x 54.5 mm
weight: 200g

Olympus 45mm 1.8
dimensions: 56 x 46 mm
weight: 116g

Pana Leica 45mm 2.8 macro
dimensions: 63 x 62.5mm
weight: 225g

My interest almost exclusively depends on the size. If this is E-P3/X100 sized, I might consider it. If it is M9 sized, then it isn't for me.

Then you''re out. It's almost eactly (1mm longer I beleive) the same size as an M9. Doesn't weigh as much tough.

Gordon

No doubt .. but why are we even comparing the two?

I expect because Biro referred to owning one.
No reason not to compare any two (or more) cameras is there?

This beast has caught my eye, even though I can't see that I will have the funds to change systems in the near (or medium or long) term; why now no 35mm-fov lens though?

I'm sure this camera will turn out some stunning images and it will be tempting on all sorts of levels. If I was somehow dis-satisfied with my current gear and looking for a new SYSTEM, I'd seriously consider freeing up some money, selling some gear, whatever, to get it. But I'm not someone who uses the 50mm focal length much at all (and I already have this covered well enough for my needs with a very nice f1.4 m43 lens) and I don't see much advantage of an effective 90mm lens at f2.4 with a better sensor over an effective 90mm lens at f1.8 with a lesser sensor (at least for someone like me who doesn't care about macros). To me, the real benefit of this system, at least initially, would be the 28mm at f2 with an incredible APS sensor (I'm assuming it will be incredible). THAT would be nice and would probably get a lot of use. And if it has fast AF and can do a couple of other tricks, it might even supplant my X100. But I have several very good options at the 28mm focal length and another excellent option at the 24mm focal length. And with m43 I've got a host of wide angle options (which is what I shoot a disproportionate percentage of the time). The Fuji, in the near term, would just add a great 28. In by far the largest form factor camera I'd own - the X100 is currently my largest camera. And I don't like big cameras or lenses! And I just can't see spending over $2000 on that. I looked at a GXR with the 28 briefly and I didn't feel like THAT added enough to what I already own to spend $900 on that, and this won't be ALL that much better... And, although I don't use them often, having the option of a couple of zooms (both the 14-150 and 9-18) can occasionally be invaluable with my m43 gear, and I can't see how Fuji would ever go there with a hybrid viewfinder, which has already got to be a huge technical challenge with three primes.

I'll be curious to see where this Fuji system goes in time. Will they add different body options? Maybe something with a flip screen? Will the hybrid viewfinder be a hindrance to a more versatile system? Will they add a couple more key lenses (probably yes on this one)? But, for now, it appears to mean spending well over $2000 for a very nice camera with a very nice 28mm lens and I just don't see that happening. If it could REPLACE a big chunk of my existing system, it might have a chance, but at this point it would just add another camera with one lens I know I'd love, but if it didn't enable me to get rid of at least an equal amount of stuff, I can't see doing it. And I don't see that happening with this initial release.

So I suppose I'll watch this with the same semi-interested eye I've watched the Nex system with for a while now (since my dalliance with the Nex 5 about a year ago). A LOT of potential, but not the right combination of size, weight, and IQ for me at this point. The more stuff other companies put out, the more I keep coming back to m43 as the right set of tradeoffs for me. I'm glad I don't have very high pixel peeping needs/standards - it would make life much more complicated and expensive!

-Ray

Now that the NEX has been substantially improved I am leaning more in that direction. I miss that flip screen. The Fuji will be, no doubt, a fine camera, but if I were to purchase one there is certainly no hurry. I'm willing to wait and see what others say after using it for a while, and seeing if the price drops. The X100 is a fine camera, and a large percentage of the pictures I took in Costa Rica last summer were taken with it, nevertheless it has its weaknesses, so we will see what the newest Fuji species offers in due time. Meanwhile, let's get out there and enjoy photography with what we have. (I am preaching to myself here!) :redface:

Back