Fuji X-PRO 1 Fully Leaked by French Magazine 'Responses Photo'

Here's a photo with someone holding it for perspective...

fujikbaker01.jpg

There's a hands on video too.

If you value compact size, see these over on mu-43. This might help cure some GAS. I know it has for me. This is not a small camera

That Fuji is large - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

My conclusion as well. Great looking, ticking all the right boxes, but too large to replace my GXR m-mount. A K5 with pancakes is about the same size. So let's see what Leica will show us in September. I hope for a digital CL. I'm wondering whether the OVF forced them to build it on the large side or whether the same body will host a FF sensor in an higher positioned model.

I think most are missing the point. I don't think the intended market for this camera is the compact camera user or the M43 crowd but for the high end half frame dSLR users. This camera compares more favourably to the D300s and the EOS 7D than it does to serious compacts. While this camera is not a rangefinder it has all the looks and feel of one and there has always been those out there that prefer a range finder camera. I think in the long run Canon and Nikon will continue to produce dSLRs in the millions and Fuji will produce these cameras in the 10s of thousands.

Hi Grant,

Personally speaking, I am not that concerned about what the product target is, as much as whether I want the camera. I'll let the product manager worry about how they're positioning this, and against which competition.

If this was full frame, I would be on it, but the supposed IQ claims have to be REALLY good, to coax me to give up my little EPM1, taking my camera out of my jacket pocket, and putting it back on a neck strap.

The last comparison shots over on Mu43 helped me understand the size very much. I can't wait until some we know get their own and report back with photographs. It looks as though it's going to be a great camera.

Good points, Grant.

P.S. Understand where you're coming from, as well, Bill.

I'm wouldn't be so concerned about the size of this camera, IF the size has been put to good use ergonomically. I would still be interested in a camera the same size and layout of my Canon 50D if they junked the mirror and OVF and made it a full-time live view camera.

There's no reason Fuji couldn't make some alternative bodies (SLR-style with grip, smaller with no built-in VF, etc), unless they consider such a thing would "cheapen" the brand.

I've just seen the rumour about a new Olympus OM type camera to be announced in February. Oh I really really hope they do a good high spec pro one :D

Perhaps 12 FPS at smaller sizes and/or locked AF on the first frame? I'd be pleasantly surprised if they managed an AF system that is anywhere close to the Nikon 1's. Would love that, but I do not believe this camera was made with speed in mind.

I'm not a High ISO person but I found this interesting:

"Based on samples we saw today that were captured with a prototype camera, the sensor really shines with low light shooting -- the X-Pro1 can produce usable 16-by-20-inch prints even at ISO 25,600, which is the maximum supported sensitivity. Identical images shot with the 5D Mark II showed significant noise in shadow areas, while the Sony Alpha A77 (NEX-7) produced an image that you certainly wouldn't want hanging on a wall. The playing field was much more even at ISO 6400, where all three cameras captured usable images -- noise was still visible on both the Canon and Sony cameras, though it was indistinguishable in the Fujifilm print. Again, all of these samples were provided by Fujifilm, and were not the result of independent testing."

From: Fujifilm X-Pro1 interchangeable lens camera preview (video) -- Engadget

Even more interesting is the 14mm F1.4 which is going to be released later this year. Apparently there are an additional 6 lenses (some F4 zooms- yawn) that are planned to be released 2012-2013. This is a really serious product. Why do I have to wait.................

Wow. If that is true, that is totally amazing. 16x20 at 25,600???

And an equivalent of 21mm at f1.4? Care to say, "Leica, we are aiming at you -- 21 Summilux-killer"?

Here's another quote from the article:

"We tested the autofocus system in a variety of lighting scenarios, and it performed equally well in both bright and low light, achieving focus in less than a second every time. We were only able to evaluate focus on-screen, however, since we were not permitted to take away the images we shot with the X-Pro1 prototype."

Sweet!!

"We tested the autofocus system in a variety of lighting scenarios, and it performed equally well in both bright and low light, achieving focus in less than a second every time. We were only able to evaluate focus on-screen, however, since we were not permitted to take away the images we shot with the X-Pro1 prototype."

Less than a second is not necessarily fast. One would not describe the autofocus speed like this, if the autofocus weren't one of the weak points of a camera. Why? The autofocus of the E-P3 is fast. Saying that the E-P3 focuses in less than a second would be understood rather negatively, although the statement is correct, achieving focus nearly instantly would describe the autofocus speed of the E-P3 much better.

The slow AF of the X100 was never a problem for me shooting on the street, but for a full system camera, I'd definitely want crisper AF. Particularly if they're going to be producing longer lenses for this system. The difference between using an EP2 and an EPL3 with a telephoto for the same event one year apart was pretty amazing, with the EPL3 nailing focus faaaaaar more consistently with its faster AF. Not critical for some types of shooting, but highly critical for others. If I were to invest in this system it would be with the idea of it taking over as my primary system within a couple of years and I'd want good AF for that role. And I don't want to have to have a separate DSLR just for the rare times I shoot with a long lens or shooting moving subjects. So AF is definitely an issue I'll be watching closely with this camera.

-Ray

Saying a camera takes less than a second to autofocus is like saying a car takes less than 30 seconds to accelerate to 100km/h. The statement indicates that the autofocus speed could be anything from truly spectacular to truly awful. Fast autofocus is not always essential but always appreciated when it is needed.

Saying a camera takes less than a second to autofocus is like saying a car takes less than 30 seconds to accelerate to 100km/h. The statement indicates that the autofocus speed could be anything from truly spectacular to truly awful. Fast autofocus is not always essential but always appreciated when it is needed.

I agree. At one point I had an EP2 and a GF1. I would never say that the EP2's AF speed was poor. It worked well, and I don't think I missed any shots. But the GF1 was faster, and for some shots (infrequently for my purposes) the difference certainly gave me more confidence.

I don't need the fastest AF, but I need what's appropriate for my needs. I'll read the reviews, and especially those of working photographers for their impressions, but I'll only really know when I play with the camera myself.

Harsh crowd!! :)

Not to sound like a Fuji apologist (lord knows I have expressed my beef against various quirks of the X100), but I believe when the statement is made that the focus speed under bright or low light was always less than a second, it is intended to convey that the AF "felt" snappy. Obviously, there's a significant difference between 0.1 seconds and 0.9 seconds. But I doubt anyone providing a general feel about a pre-production camera's performance, would have cared to venture into anything more specific.

On othe other hand, I am hoping that the XP1 will be the "ultimate" camera. So I am trying to be optimistic about what the AF will be like in both speed and accuracy. If it's as fast as a EP3 or GH2, I'm pretty happy. I'd be even happier if it was like a V1, in both speed, accuracy AND tracking! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back