Fuji Fuji X-Pro 1 hands on and samples

Trouble with 'Option 1' is that focus slows as a result.

Not only that, but also much less accurate, as OVF has less AF fields and a larger AF field size. OVF isn't really suitable for tricky AF tasks. Plus, the histogram is essential when shooting RAW and exposing to the point (ETTR done right).

Personally, I could never accept these limitations to get rid of another unacceptable flaw. But yes, it's an option, at least on paper. But you know, in theory, simply never switching on the camera is a solution, too. Definitely no chatter if you do that. ;)

Armanius, on the chattering issue, I only had mine operating for about ten minutes, but based on the concerns you were having, one of the first things I looked for was the chattering issue. I had the 35 on it and moved the camera around from light to dark areas to see if I could hear it. It was there but nothing like I was hearing on your video. (I think my x100 is louder) I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if you hadn't brought it to my attention. Maybe you might compare it to another sample and see if your sample might be faulty? Just a thought.
Kris

I can hear it if I try, for me this is a non issue, maybe I am just getting old

First Impressions and samples

My XP1 arrived late this afternoon and then began the long wait for the battery to charge. But I was able to take a few pics, and a short drive around our countryside for some quick shots. I did not realize how much I missed the hybrid finder on my X100. Good to have it back. I have only the 35mm lens and it is sharp, especially at f2 as Armanius has observed. I think the build quality is strong, and I like the increase of controls over the X100. Fujifilm listened. Click on these to enlarge them if you want a better idea of the IQ.

AT ISO 640 and f2
XP!ISO640.jpg

AT ISO 800 and f2
XP1ISO800.jpg

In front of the fire station, ISO200 1/500 at f5.6
TwoFlags.jpg

ISO500, f4 1/50
SmCreekISO500.jpg

Somewhat of a funny story related to the XPro1. My girlfriend and I are at a restaurant ordering dinner. I have my XPro1 out, and I'm taking photos of her. Waiter gets to our table and starts talking to me.

Waiter: "Is that one of the new Fuji cameras ... X-something ... X-10 .... "

Me: "No, it's not." (I had to say that because my girlfriend can't stand it when I keep buying new gear, especially when we are supposed to be saving money for the wedding.)

Waiter: "What camera is that then? Didn't that just come out?"

Me: "No, I've had it for a while. It's the X100."

Waiter: "Isn't the camera that you have an interchangeable lens camera though?"

Me: "Yes ... So I see you like cameras right? What camera do YOU use?"

Waiter: "I've been wanting to get a smaller camera. I use a 7D. I was using it in NY, and people kept giving me the finger. So I've been wanting to get a Fuji like yours. More versatile. Or a Leica. But I can't afford to spend $8000 right now, because I'm just a student."

Me: "But your 7D's auto focus is so much faster!! And accurate! You can shoot at 7 FPS!!"

Waiter: "I guess. But it's big to carry it around. I like your camera. I would be able to take it everywhere with me."

Waiter leaves, and my girlfriend is looking at me.

Girlfriend: "Is this a new camera?"

Me: "Ehhh ... no."

Girlfriend: "When did you get it?"

Me: "Hmmmm ... I've had it .. It's the Fuji, remember? You've seen a black Fuji camera before, don't your remember?" :rolleyes:

Few photos from the night. All of them are: JPG with default settings, aperture priority, 35/1.4 at f1.4, ISO2000, 1/50". Adjusted the color and downsized it to 1024 pixels in LR4.

I encountered my first struggle with the AF refusing to lock, even though I was using the EVF and had the "power save mode" off. I finally switched from S-AF to C-AF, and the camera locked on immediately.

The noise suppression did take out some detail, but it's still very good at ISO2000. Bokeh is very nice as the transition is smooth, and the specular highlights are not overly harsh. The last photo was the "Is this a new camera" look!!!

Overall, from an optical quality standpoint, the 35/1.4 is a fairly impressive lens. It's not cheap at $600. But it's fairly priced when compared to the Panasonic-Leica 25/1.4, which was $600 at launch. The Sony-Zeiss 24/1.8 is priced at $1000, and Zeiss prices are increasing this month.

View attachment 51961

View attachment 51962

View attachment 51963

Oh, it's a sad thing when a lawyer is forced to perjure himself! :D All you can really do in a situation like that is to object to the line of questioning - THAT would work well!

BTW, the only low light focus issues I've had we're somewhat similar to these - a very dark restaurant / bar at very close quarters. There just isn't enough contrast in a face. Other than that, I've had very good low light AF experiences with both lenses. But that situation tripped the camera up pretty well.

-Ray

I think that rattlesnaking or chattering on constant live-view cameras with fast aperture prime lenses is just a fact of life. The reason why Panasonic cameras don't rattlesnake with the PL25mm is because they don't provide a constant exposure preview and therefore aren't constantly adjusting the aperture to provide the correct exposure on screen all of the time. Panasonics make big, coarse adjustments to the aperture when light levels change, but they only do it once. It is a solution to the problem to be sure, but I find it extremely frustrating that I should have a live-view camera that shows me the preview image directly from the sensor, adjust the exp compensation so that the screen shows me the exposure that I want, only to press the shutter and have the final image turn out under or over exposed.

Panasonic may have adopted this philosophy to prevent rattlesnaking, but I disagree with their methods. Not showing an accurate exposure preview 100% of the time throws away one of the advantages of a mirrorless, live-view camera. Given the choice I would rather put up with the rattlesnake. Depending on which you prefer, it would be nice to be able to choose one method or the other as a menu option.

LOL! I'm popping the question tomorrow. So we'll see if it's still on. Or not!

And yes, the X100 does AF better on C-AF as well.

Its really bad when after you're married for as long as we have and my wife has said "no more" and then that new lens you've been lusting over shows up unexpectedly (aka Leica 40mm). Well, let's just say the suitcase came out and I don't need to say anymore. ...... Fortunately I was given that one last chance.

Back