Fuji Fuji X-Pro1: Full-Page Ad in New York Times Sunday Magazine

Crsnydertx

Top Veteran
Name
Chuck
Very classy full-page advertisement for the Pro-1 system on page 15 of today's print edition. Evidently Fuji is betting that their potential clients are upscale consumers who are apt to read the NYT... ;-)

The more I thought about it, the more I concluded that potential Pro-1 buyers would likely read the online edition, not the print. But who knows...?

I'm not sure I agree. I think the X-Pro1 buyer marches to the beat of their own drum. They are more likely to be a little retro-minded. When I have to read the paper, it's always a physical copy. I've never read an online paper. I'd like to think that I'll be an X-Pro1 owner one day. I just need to save up for it......by not subscribing to a newspaper that I don't have time to read ;)

I subscribe to the Sunday NYT print edition because it allows me to read the online edition at no further cost; some months ago they began charging pretty steep fees for online access.

I'm unlikely to be a Pro-1 buyer; system price is well beyond my threshold of pain. But I do enjoy reading about it and viewing the excellent photos displayed here and on Flickr.

I'm not sure I agree. I think the X-Pro1 buyer marches to the beat of their own drum. They are more likely to be a little retro-minded. When I have to read the paper, it's always a physical copy. I've never read an online paper. I'd like to think that I'll be an X-Pro1 owner one day. I just need to save up for it......by not subscribing to a newspaper that I don't have time to read ;)

I'm with Luke on this one. When I was working for State Parks, I had to get the online edition because I couldn't get a print version delivered where I lived. The only internet link was a satellite service. I'm now back in the big city...(population 15,000)...actually I'm outside the big city by about 40 miles but I can get daily delivery of the Times so I switched back to a physical copy. There is just something about reading a print version of the newspaper or magazines that I prefer. But then again, I'm 52 years old so that probably explains a lot. I'm definitely not an upscale consumer on my Community College Administrator salary though....... I had to save quite a bit to get the X Pro. I started saving for it the month it was announced. I must say it's the one big purchase I've made besides my NAD amplifier that I have absolutely no reservations about. After using it for a month, I'm even happier with it than the day I received it.

Stanley, only 52? I'm many years your senior, but I travel a lot on business so my iPad is my lifeline to the news. I do prefer paper when I'm grounded, but that's not often the case.

I'm just speculating on Fuji's target demographic, of course, but I did find it interesting that they would pick the Sunday Magazine for an obviously expensive ad. I hope it sells a bunch of systems!

I love my X10 and X100, so I hold Fuji products in very high regard.

Stanley, only 52? I'm many years your senior, but I travel a lot on business so my iPad is my lifeline to the news. I do prefer paper when I'm grounded, but that's not often the case.

I'm just speculating on Fuji's target demographic, of course, but I did find it interesting that they would pick the Sunday Magazine for an obviously expensive ad. I hope it sells a bunch of systems!

I love my X10 and X100, so I hold Fuji products in very high regard.

I think you nailed the demographic. It's not really an easy camera to use but it has that "je ne sais quoi" :)biggrin:) in image quality. I can't even imagine using my DSLR now. Sure it focuses better, sure it shoots faster, ect, but I'd really have to spend time on the computer to make the RAW file look like what I'm getting from the Fuji. It's hard to describe and it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I just printed some photos this afternoon for the first time. I didn't even adjust anything in Lightroom. I'm making some end of the term presents for a couple of the faculty who really helped me out with a few students. Living in a rural area, I have a significant cohort of single mom students. They really struggle with work, child care, and school. I had a couple who almost dropped out because of time constraints this term. I got the faculty to work with them until they caught up so I'm owe them big time. Anyway, TMI on that, but I just loved what came straight out the camera in terms of sharpness and color. I use the 1:1 format a lot. Don't really know why, I just like it. Anyway, in a shameless plug- Red River Paper makes 12X12 paper in number of formats including this really neat metallic one. Highly recommended. Ikea for frames. The Ribba series is really good both for both price and quality.

Loving the Fuji. I also have the X100 and it is fantastic. I'm not a big 28mm person so I've going out with the X Pro 35 + 60 and the X100 to cover the wider angles. It's probably more than I needed to spend on camera gear given my limited skills but I just love those cameras. Almost as much as my horrible dogs..... :D

Off to the lake to see what kind of trouble the dogs can get into.

Back