Fuji Fuji X Pro1 Grip

jdcohnsf

This is my first post as a new member of the forum. So hello to everyone.

I purchased a Fuji X-Pro1 last June but only ordered the Fuji grip a couple of week ago at the same time that I ordered an adapter for Nikon lenses. The thought was that I might be using larger, heavier, and/or longer lenses with the adapter than my current Fuji trinity (18, 35, 60). Today I took out the X Pro with adapter and Nikkor 24/2.8 AIS lens on a short walk around the neighborhood and also shot a few shots indoors with the adapter plus Nikkor 10.5/2.8 DX fisheye. The X Pro 1 feels perfectly balanced in my hand(s) with these lenses plus adapter and the Fuji grip. I don't know why I waited so long to get the grip. And it is very easy to remove the grip to get at the battery and/or SD card. FYI, I am a smallish woman (5'4") with perhaps longer fingers than average for my height. I don't really notice the extra weight. I considered the Really Right Stuff grip but thought it looked bulkier, less attractive and did not have the texture of the Fuji grip.

In any case, I thought I would post a thread for those sitting on the fence as to whether or not to get the Fuji grip. I would definitely recommend it. And will more than likely leave it on the camera at all times (unless using a tripod when I would use an L-plate).

JD, good to have you here and Welcome to the "spot" we now want to see some of the beautiful NM landscapes that you have taken!, You have taken some .right?
All the best to you and you X1
Dennis.

I'm another single data point against the grip. Had it and tried it, but the X-Pro is already pushing my tolerance for large cameras even without it. With it, it just felt like more of a beast and I never found my ability to hold or use the camera helped or hindered. So I sold it. I do shoot with a thumbs up and soft release, though, and consider both more or less essential, so there's no accounting for taste.

So, YMMV - there's no objective reality to most of this stuff. Any of it is worth a try to see if it works for you.

-Ray

Welcome to the forum. I am waiting for my grip to arrive. Unlike most shooters, I have never held a camera that felt too un-balanced or too large or so awkward that it was uncomfortable to shoot. (From Speed Graphics to Minox.) But I do appreciate comfort, I appreciate going from a neutral feeling camera (ala standard XP1) to a positive feeling camera ... and hopefully the grip will deliver a nice level of additional comfort-ousity. I forgot about the Thumbs-Up stuff, thanks Ray for the reminder, gotta check that out also. Ray, what advantage do you get from the Thumbs-Up gear?

Gary

I forgot about the Thumbs-Up stuff, thanks Ray for the reminder, gotta check that out also. Ray, what advantage do you get from the Thumbs-Up gear?
Hard to describe, but just a much more secure and comfortable way to hold the camera, for me at least. Look at where the thumbs up thumb grip is relative to the little thumb indentation to the left of the AEL/AFL button. With that higher thumb position, my hand is just more stretched out and natural feeling and I feel like I have a very solid grip on the camera. With two hands, it doesn't matter a lot, but with one hand, its a pretty big difference.

View attachment 10462
Thumbs Up-2 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

Look where my thumb is vs where it would be without the thumbs up:

View attachment 10463
Thumbs Up-4 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

I was actually trying the grip and the thumbs up at about the same time, now that I think about it. I actually liked the grip pretty well without the thumbs up, but using both together started to require an uncomfortable reach. And given the choice, I preferred the thumbs up to the grip. So I guess I didn't really DISLIKE the grip - I just liked the thumbs up more. And I don't have to remove it to change the battery. OTOH, the great irony is that the thumbs up cost me a few dollars MORE than the grip did. Although now that Lensmate is making an X-Pro thumb grip, you can get a good one for significantly less than the grip.

-Ray

mmmmhhhh ... beaucoup thanks for your quick review. (99% of the time I use two hands.) I think I'll wait for the grip to come in first. (pssst, Ray you got a fingerprint on you VF filter.)

G

mmmmhhhh ... beaucoup thanks for your quick review. (99% of the time I use two hands.) I think I'll wait for the grip to come in first. (pssst, Ray you got a fingerprint on you VF filter.)

G

Yeah, I saw that in the photo and now I've cleaned it. Its probably been there for months and I've never noticed it, but that photo caught the light just right...

I mostly use two hands too, but just even my grip on the camera when I'm raising it to my eye (which will often happen with one hand) feels more secure. And sometimes if I'm shooting from an odd angle using the rear LCD, the one handed grip is nice to be able to use comfortably.

-Ray

This just put a crimp in my evening, an envelope from B&H arrived today, it only contained a packing slip for a Fuji X-Pro 1 Grip. The flap was barely held shut with a few pieces of Scotch Tape.

JD, good to have you here and Welcome to the "spot" we now want to see some of the beautiful NM landscapes that you have taken!, You have taken some .right?
All the best to you and you X1
Dennis.

Yes I have taken a few :) which I hope to post soon. But I am very busy at work (science not photography) and getting ready to leave for a road trip.

Judith

I'm another single data point against the grip. Had it and tried it, but the X-Pro is already pushing my tolerance for large cameras even without it. With it, it just felt like more of a beast ...
-Ray

I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes a large camera. My other digital camera is a Nikon 7000, which is the beginning of large for me. To me the X-pro1 is the perfect size. I have been waiting for years for a digital version of the Nikon FM series film cameras. I still have an FM3A, which I have not shot for quite a while since digital is just so much more convenient than film. But I love the size, simplicity and ergonomics of that camera and the X-pro1 plus the Fuji prime lenses are the closest I have found to my last film setup in size and ergonomics. I was also a fan of the Nikon F2 and F3 but the FM2N and finally the FM3A were my favorites since I primarily like to take photos while hiking in the mountains.

Still I agree with Ray that everyone is different and makes their own choices based on those differences.

Judith

This just put a crimp in my evening, an envelope from B&H arrived today, it only contained a packing slip for a Fuji X-Pro 1 Grip. The flap was barely held shut with a few pieces of Scotch Tape.

Sorry to hear that. But I am sure BH Photo will replace the lost grip.

Judith

Back