Fuji Fuji X-S10

View attachment 241138
The grip is very good. You can easily hold the camera with a serious lens (16-80) using three fingers as shown above. I do use a wrist strap in practice but it's much easier to hold the camera with the weight on your fingers.
I’d be interested to learn of your thoughts on the EVF? I have an XT1, my understanding is the XS10 has a slightly lower magnification factor than the XT1.

How does the 16-80 perform on the front? Weighing just less than the body it should balance fairly well? I’ve been a big fan of the 18-55 for years, less range but light, discreet and still delivers.

Alright, Steve... another question:

I notice the X-S10 is UHS-I compliant but not UHS-II. Still... there's a great range of speeds that fall under UHS-I. Most of my UHS-I cards are SanDisk Extreme Pro, offering 90 MB/s write speeds.

Now, I doubt you know the maximum write speed of the X-S10 (finding out this kind of thing as always been difficult, regardless of manufacturer). But are you running 90 MB/s cards or the latest UHS-I cards that offer up to something like 170 MB/s? And what is your experience?

There's no way this camera is going to offer the kind of buffer speeds and capacity that, say, the X-T4 offers. But what are we talking about in the real world? Any issues with burst and buffer?

I’d be interested to learn of your thoughts on the EVF? I have an XT1, my understanding is the XS10 has a slightly lower magnification factor than the XT1.

How does the 16-80 perform on the front? Weighing just less than the body it should balance fairly well? I’ve been a big fan of the 18-55 for years, less range but light, discreet and still delivers.
The EVF is fine for me. It’s just like the Xt30, which I also have. It would be really hard if I wore glasses, however. You really need your eye against the eyepiece to not clip the corners.
The 16-80 still feels a bit front heavy but the grip means you can still one-hand it. With the xt30, I really need to support the weight by holding it by the lens.

Last edited:

I notice the X-S10 is UHS-I compliant but not UHS-II. Still... there's a great range of speeds that fall under UHS-I. Most of my UHS-I cards are SanDisk Extreme Pro, offering 90 MB/s write speeds.

Now, I doubt you know the maximum write speed of the X-S10 (finding out this kind of thing as always been difficult, regardless of manufacturer). But are you running 90 MB/s cards or the latest UHS-I cards that offer up to something like 170 MB/s? And what is your experience?

There's no way this camera is going to offer the kind of buffer speeds and capacity that, say, the X-T4 offers. But what are we talking about in the real world? Any issues with burst and buffer?
This one’s tough. The cards I use are 80 mb/s but I really don’t do burst shooting. I’ll try it tomorrow. Question: how should do that?

Last edited:
The EVF is fine for me. It’s just like the Xt30, which I also have. It would be really hard if I wore glasses, however. You really need your eye against the eyepiece to not clip the corners.
The 16-80 still feels a bit front heavy but the grip means you can still one-hand it. With the xt30, I really need to support the weight by holding it by the lens.

Both the XS10 and XT30 have a magnification of 0.62x and an eyepoint of 17.5mm, my old XT1 comes in at 0.77x and 23mm. And I wear glasses ☹️

I wonder if Fuji will release a big brother next year, XS1. A bit more XH1/XT4 size, bigger battery, 2 SD slots, better EVF and weather sealing??

Last edited:
I will admit that watch Kasey Stern, the Canadian vlogger that produces Camera Conspiracies. Most of my video knowledge comes from him. His videos are truly weird, so, of course, I find them very humorous. His review of the X-S10 was totally from a vlogger POV, which had no effect on my purchasing decision. I refer to this as "research".

Remember, you have been warned.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,are you able to comment on the DR of these Fuji's vs Nikon crop by any chance? I once owned a D5200 ages ago and was quiet impressed.
Nope. The only Nikon I have ever owned was a Coolpix A, which technically counts I suppose. I posted many pictures here: An Old Town and a New Camera, Part 1 , and I think DPR has a sample gallery as well.

Last edited:

OK, so the card I actually have in the X-S10 is the Lexar SD XC II, 64 GB, 1667X, 250 MB/s. No idea how good that is in the scheme of things, but it's clearly UHS ii card in a UHS 1 slot. I got off 17 shots at 8/s before it slowed down. Of course, I was shooting Fine JPEG +Raw. Shooting JPEG only, I just stopped when I got bored, 145 shots. I'll try it again when I remember to actually put in a UHS 1 card.

Last edited:
Agreed. I just wish I knew for certain - and when to expect It.
I suspect Fuji is sampling the market with the X-S10. One thing I do notice is that increasingly the X-S10 seems like a Fuji version of the OM-D series with friendlier menus and the X-Trans sensor. Even Olympus started moving in the film simulations approach with the Pen F. This is all a good thing IMHO.

I will admit that watch Kasey Stern, the Canadian vlogger that produces Camera Conspiracies. Most of my video knowledge comes from him. His videos are truly weird, so, of course, I find them very humorous. His review of the X-S10 was totally from a vlogger POV, which had no effect on my purchasing decision. I refer to this as "research".

Remember, you have been warned.
I love Kasey's stuff. Always fun.

My guess is that the X-H2 will be the big brother. With everything you mentioned plus a new, better IBIS unit.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the X-H2 is actually named an X-S1. Would make much more sense in the Fuji lineup naming, while also allowing Fuji to move past the “flop” that was of the first H series (Note: I am not knocking that camera, just the marketing/timing).

I tried the partial color filter on some small tree bare for winter except for some berries.
berries3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

berries4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the X-H2 is actually named an X-S1. Would make much more sense in the Fuji lineup naming, while also allowing Fuji to move past the “flop” that was of the first H series (Note: I am not knocking that camera, just the marketing/timing).
I think that's a real possibility. I suspect the X-S1 would be a smaller and lighter body type. Fuji may think that the size/weight of the X-H1 was not desirable for enough Fuji users.

Well, maybe it was warm afterglow from Thanksgiving dinner, but I've just pulled the trigger on an X-S10 with 16-80mm. My larger Fuji lenses will fit and I'm not sure I need the X-T4. Besides, I keep thinking about the X-S10 like I never did the X-T4 and the value is incredible.

Back