Fuji Fuji X Series & Macro

scott

Rookie
Hi, all--I'm only an occasional visitor to the forum, but I've been very happily using a pair of X-E1s for several years now.

Unfortunately I often need to leave the Fujis behind on trips with limited space, since I need to have a long telephoto and a macro setup with macro flash. Since Fuji hasn't yet offered a 1:1 macro lens or any macro flash, I've had to stick with a Sony a77 and a Tamron 90mm macro lens. I also use an a77 with a Tamron 150-600mm for wildlife, since getting an X-T1 (or -T2), a 100-400mm, and a teleconverter is not within my budget. So I end up taking the a77s and four lenses (the two above plus a 16-80mm and a 15mm fisheye for wide-angle close-ups), just to avoid the insanity of 3-4 bodies and two brands' worth of lenses and batteries. But honestly I much prefer the X-trans sensors to the Sony SLTs.

I know Fuji is going to have the 80mm 1:1 macro lens out reasonably soon. Is anybody aware of any plans for Fuji (or any other company) to offer a dedicated macro flash, preferably one with two heads? I'd be more than happy to switch to Fuji for macro work, but without a macro flash, it doesn't make any sense (for what I do).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scott,

To your point(s). I'm not aware of anyone who does a Fuji compatible macro flash, least of all Fuji themselves. I AM aware that they are upping their game on flash in general - it is a weak point of the system at the moment - so I would hope that your needs will be filled in this area soon. In the meantime there are of course generic (non-TTL) flashes; you can connect with a Canon-compatible cable (the pinouts are the same, and all you are doing is passing the trigger information).

Otherwise, have you looked at the Zeiss Touit 50mm? It's available now, it is an exceptional lens and it is macro, to 1:1. I tested it some time ago here: Zeiss cold in Funchal: Review of the Touit f/2.8 50mm X-mount

I have the Touit and can thoroughly recommend it, however, being the 35mm equivalent of just 75mm you may find you get a little too close to insects for their comfort sometimes.

I have been sorely tempted by the Zeiss 50mm macro(Blythe you're not helping) but I'm going to wait for the Fuji 80mm as it seems that they will take the teleconverters and that attracts me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, everyone--thanks for the responses!

Bill--I appreciate the info on flashes. I have to admit that I'm lazy enough to be dependent on TTL flash; calculating flash exposures for a variety of (moving) subjects at a variety of distances is a bit too much for me. I'm looking forward to reading your review.

Blythe--I suspect you're right about the 50mm getting too close. The 90mm I'm using now gets me about a close as I care to.

Back