Fuji Fuji X-T1 First Impressions + Why I Switched from Sony

Congrats on the camera. While I've never owned a Sony camera, I've spent quite a bit of time with their DSLRs as well as the A7 series. The colors do tend to be vibrant which is a matter of personal taste. Aside from that, I've never gotten on with Sony's UI and handling. Cameras are definitely a tool but a very personal one and to me, what's just as important as IQ is how it handles and it's responsiveness to the way I work. In this regard, this is the reason why I've never purchased a Sony camera.

I came very close to buying an X-T1 when they first came out. It ticked off all the boxes for me but two concerns for me were the flimsy side door that kept wanting to open on it's own every time I handled the camera along with the mushy D-pad. I believe the D-pad issue was addressed quietly over time but not sure about the side door. In any case, I use the X100T and X100 and love both cameras and will patiently wait for the rumored X-Pro2 to be released. Fuji in the last five years has been making extraordinary strides in their bodies and lenses. Two things that Fuji gets right is the UI/handling of their bodies as well as the overall IQ/colors which have a very natural look. Aside from that, their metering and WB seems quite spot on compared to a lot of other cameras I've worked with.

Anyways, here is a SOOC JPEG that was taken back in 2010 with a Sony A850 with a 28-75/2.8 lens. The vibrant colors here work very well for food photography.

19016093961_62fc0c96d6_b.jpg

SONY A850, 60MM, F2.8, 1/160, ISO 200

Congrats on the camera. While I've never owned a Sony camera, I've spent quite a bit of time with their DSLRs as well as the A7 series. The colors do tend to be vibrant which is a matter of personal taste. Aside from that, I've never gotten on with Sony's UI and handling. Cameras are definitely a tool but a very personal one and to me, what's just as important as IQ is how it handles and it's responsiveness to the way I work. In this regard, this is the reason why I've never purchased a Sony camera.

I came very close to buying an X-T1 when they first came out. It ticked off all the boxes for me but two concerns for me were the flimsy side door that kept wanting to open on it's own every time I handled the camera along with the mushy D-pad. I believe the D-pad issue was addressed quietly over time but not sure about the side door. In any case, I use the X100T and X100 and love both cameras and will patiently wait for the rumored X-Pro2 to be released. Fuji in the last five years has been making extraordinary strides in their bodies and lenses. Two things that Fuji gets right is the UI/handling of their bodies as well as the overall IQ/colors which have a very natural look. Aside from that, their metering and WB seems quite spot on compared to a lot of other cameras I've worked with.

Anyways, here is a SOOC JPEG that was taken back in 2010 with a Sony A850 with a 28-75/2.8 lens. The vibrant colors here work very well for food photography.

19016093961_62fc0c96d6_b.jpg

SONY A850, 60MM, F2.8, 1/160, ISO 200

Thanks. Totally agree with you here.

Ergonomics and UI tend to be underrated attributes these days it seems. Metering too. The white balance on the a7s always seems too warm OOC. Frustrating.

Heard about X-T1 d-pad issue, but didn't notice anything wrong with it. Hopefully they addressed it.

Nice food shot. Def agree that vibrancy can be appropriate for many types of images.

Back