Fuji Fuji X10 Aftermarket Hood

I had an eBay message exchange with the folks at Rainbow Imaging this morning regarding an X10 alternative hood. They said they would be releasing their version on or around November 24th.
Their X100 hood/adapter version is sold on Amazon as well as eBay so maybe we'll have an affordable version for the X10 available soon.
I sent them a second message asking about filter use and price. When I hear back I will post the information here.
Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to buy one early and post some images here. :cool:
. . . David

Here's what the Rainbow Imaging hood looks like on the X10. The X10 is where whatever camera I want to be available sits, on the corner of the desk. Tom Abrahamsson mini soft release and a previously used on another camera A&A strap.
Shot with the F550, ISO 800, Adv. "Pro Focus" - although I think they call it something diferent on the F550. Hey, if you haven't tried the "Pro Focus" on the X10 yet give it a try. It's a two exposure bit of "strange" but it really does put the background out of focus.
. . . David

Attachments

• Fuji X10 with Hood (1 of 1).jpg
    Fuji X10 with Hood (1 of 1).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,576
I have the Rainbow Imaging hood for the X100. I like it, and it makes the X100 look "cool." That being said, I never use the hood in any of my interchangeable lens cameras (unless the lens has a built-in hood). Are hoods really necessary (other than the "cool" look)? I guess I just really haven't seen glare all that much ...

Shot with the F550, ISO 800, Adv. "Pro Focus" - although I think they call it something diferent on the F550. Hey, if you haven't tried the "Pro Focus" on the X10 yet give it a try. It's a two exposure bit of "strange" but it really does put the background out of focus.
. . . David

The "Pro Focus" is pretty cool. Sometimes it doesn't get the blurriness quite right and it blurs out part of the main subject though. But the X10 does a better job than the Pentax Q's blur filter, for sure!

I tend to leave a B+W UV filter and an appropriate hood on my cameras and leave da' cap at home. I paid top dollar for the X100 hood. It was nice to find an affordable one for the X10. :)
. . . David

I've noticed that putting the UV filter that came with my Rainbow hood on the X100 actually decreases the shutter speed by a little bit under the same lighting conditions. I guess that's an indication that the UV filter is actually blocking some of the light? Would a better UV filter allow 100% passage of light, as opposed to the filter that came with the hood (which I'm assuming is a cheapo filter)?

I didn't get a UV filter with my Rainbow Imaging hood, only a big-a** lens cap. :D I use B+W , as previously mentioned, because of the quality of the glass. I've used their filters for a very long time with no problems. Armanius, try one of their UV filters. I think you will be happy with the results. Good luck.
. . . David

Back