Fuji Fuji X10 - any known issues?

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
By this time in its life, folks were talking about the sticky aperture issue with the Fuji X100. Now the Fuji X10 has been out for time enough for similar gremlins to have surfaced, so I wondered what issues - however uncommon - might have been identified? I know about the reported 'orbs' issue...which seems rather trivial IMHO. So any others?

Not meaning to poke the hornet's nest, but very curious as I've just been thinking......:blush:

I went hands on with one last week, must say I'm pretty impressed with the size of the VF (by comparison with the G1X which I also looked at). That barrel dial for zoom and on/off seems to me to be a *really* strange design decision. I dont think I could ever get used to it. Thats not a glitch or problem that needs fixing... but I hope they go back to doing things in the traditional way on its next iteration.

There have been a few reports of the camera occasionally not turning on when you rotate the barrel but VERY few - I've never experienced it. And some folks have had the viewfinder assembly get slightly loose - again not many and nothing I've encountered. The only real issue with this camera seems to be the orbs and its trivial for some types of shooting and crippling for others, so it kind of depends on what you do with the camera. If you want to do much shooting in urban areas after dark, I'd recommend against it. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about the orbs - you'll see them from time to time, but rarely and VERY rarely where they actually hurt the shot. I've only had one or two daytime shots ruined by orbs but several where I could find them if I looked pretty hard, but that you'd never notice in normal viewing. But night shooting in the city can be pretty bad and long exposure / low ISO / tripod-based night shooting in the city is almost a guaranteed disaster. I don't do that but have had enough issues with normal urban low light shooting that I just don't use that camera for that anymore.

-Ray

All I've experienced is
1) a slowness to restart from sleep
2) The very occasional failure of the camera to turn on when rotating the barrel
3) Focus confirmation when there is no focus anywhere in the image.

As for 1, I now use the quick start option in the menus. Another weird fluke is that, for some reason, the camera will start slower after reading the card in an external card reader with Photoshop unless you reformat the card.

I've had the X10 pretty much since it was released. The only issue I've really found is the lack of a focus point in the OVF. No information in the OVF is also troublesome. Great camera. 'Wonder if the "X11" will solve these concerns. (As well as the orb problem.)
. . . David

I am very happy with my own. I've seen the "orb" a couple of times but that has been when I've been shooting straight into the sun with reflections on the water. I really like the camera very much. I will, of course, be interested to read what Fuji says.

I find the IQ to be very good, love the size and most of all the controls on the camera. Every once in a blue moon, I have had the camera not turn on when I've rotated the lens (which is how one turns the camera on), but it rights itself quickly. It also works beautifully in "program" mode which is very reliable and quite handy when one is on the go.;)

I've seen the orb only when shooting long exposure night photos at base ISO. A few times, I've had the camera give me AF confirmation in poor lighting situations when there was clearly no focus (but that can happen in a most cameras, including a fancy camera like the Pentax K5). No mechanical problems at all.

In spite of the orbs, I still highly recommend the X10, unless someone really likes shooting long exposure night photos.

There is an issue with the camera not turning on when the zoom ring is twisted.
Two scenarios.... first the SD card hasn't been formatted in the camera ( that was my problem ) and secondly some report that the camera was not turned off properly.

In velvia mode it's been reported that the orb problem may be supplemented by overexposed black areas ..I've yet to see this.

Auto focusing although generally very good can for some inexplicable reason be impossible at times. Switching on/off solves that one.

Of course we are waiting for an Orbs fix which isn't trivial if you routinely photograph shiny objects like cars , boats , planes and trains. Orbs at night are sort of OK but a big white blob from the front of a car isn't!

Battery life is very very poor and the battery life indicator quite useless. The good news is that batteries are cheap and plentiful.

But then there's Fuji colour , a beautiful body and cracking lens with great macro..... and that's why we persevere

hmmm a timely thread!
I have been very tempted by this camera. The Orb issue does give me pause since I do so much night work. However rumor is that Fuji is announcing something concerning this today.

I'm still intrested in the X10
I don't shoot much at night (and if I would, I wouldn't use an X10 tbh)

Indeed fuji will announce something concerning the orbs today...

I'll look at it again once the sensor is changed, I think. I shoot a lot in very early morning and in the evenings... still not sure if its going to be the right one, but The orbs put me off bigtime, plus the barrel on/off and zoom, which seems just odd to me.

Having used the X10 for a little while now, I'm convinced that the sensor performance is noticeably better than any 2/3" or smaller sensor I have every tried (LX5, G12, S100, XZ1, EX1, etc). I hope they don't throw away that advantage with this orb fix.

When I first read about the X10 I thought the barrel Zoom and the on/off system was odd....but After using the Oly E-PM1; its must be similar.
Press top button on, but the barrel must be released and rotated before anything can be seen in the LCD. I only mention this because of what Lili has said above which got me thinking again about that issue.
As I said on another thread yesterday I'm very interested in this camera.

Back