Fuji Fuji X10 Full page ad in current issue of Backpacker Magazine

Awesome! Let us know what you think. I actually decided to wait to see how the viewfinder fairs. I love my X100 and really only miss having an occasional telephoto for taking pictures of my kids on horseback. The X10 has the look and feel of the X100 with that manual zoom that promises to be wonderful.

How do you like the GXR? I had considered looking into one of those for the Leica mount capability only because the X100 manual focus is it's biggest drawback...sigh. Is this the GXR you have? Ricoh GRX/A12 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

How do you like the GXR? I had considered looking into one of those for the Leica mount capability only because the X100 manual focus is it's biggest drawback...sigh. Is this the GXR you have? Ricoh GRX/A12 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

That is a big topic, but in quick summary I love the GXR. I only use the two A12 units and the new Mount unit. I love the files and the camera is very easy to use. The X100 files may be slightly better in many ways (dynamic range, PP flexibility) but the Ricoh color is very good and the B&W conversions are beautiful. I get along better with the GXR than the X100 but I'm still trying to understand the X100. It's just not intuitive and I always seem to have to be relearning it.

Thanks for that link, Andrew. I read that Portuguese to English translation yesterday early in the morning and my "trigger finger" start to itch.;)

As for issues with the X100, knock on metal, plastic and glass - narry a one for me. No sticky anything, no dust on the sensor, etc. No doubt there will always be problems with any camera, however I do think that Internet forums can blow the percentage of problems way out of reality. I used to hang around on a couple of international and USA based MINI Cooper forums for several years - and in all my years of owning way too many MINIs I have only had one real problem...and it was fixed, but the "problems and fixes" forum was always abuzz.

As for issues with the X100, knock on metal, plastic and glass - narry a one for me. No sticky anything, no dust on the sensor, etc. No doubt there will always be problems with any camera, however I do think that Internet forums can blow the percentage of problems way out of reality. I used to hang around on a couple of international and USA based MINI Cooper forums for several years - and in all my years of owning way too many MINIs I have only had one real problem...and it was fixed, but the "problems and fixes" forum was always abuzz.

Good to know your X100 has been rock solid and great points on forum complaints! The forums are great to get a feel on reliability before you make a purchase, but if taken at face value, I agree that it would give an unrealistic view on % of problems (+ or -). Of course, there are a lot of people that don't spend time in the equipment forums.

The only other thing on equipment forum complaints, is that it is hard for me to get a handle on what has changed or been resolved by the mfg. over time. For example on the X100, has the situation on night flares, sticky blades and sensor dust (assuming they were even real problems, of course) been fixed by Fuji with new cameras not impacted?

When I was shopping for a LX3 upgrade this summer, there were recent forum posts on people with sensor dust for both the GXR and X100 and this was one of the main things pushed me towards the m4/3. I was going to take the camera on short backpacking trips and I was concerned about dust. I was probably a little paranoid, but just wanted to note that the forum complaints definitely drove my decision.

Kyle, I don't know the answers...and I do understand where you're coming from. I do recall that some of the early X100's had some problems...well, I read about them anyway. Mine was fairly early...came with the original firmware which I upgraded right away.

Last year we bought a new car. It was a big expense and we weighed everything - ad nauseum, I must add! We almost bought a "pre owned certified" version but after all sorts of special offers etc., we went new...it made more sense financially in this case, for the long haul. I spent a lot of time on car forums and consumer forums... It's a great car...does everything we need, couldn't' be more comfortable...the most "luxurious" that we've ever owned and it's known as a car that will run forever. We imagine it being our "retirement" car. That said, life could throw something new at us and it would need to be sold! Kind of like a camera investment but on a much larger scale.

My droning on and on about the car is that it suited our needs when we bought it and I believe it will continue to...though there were and are so many other choices.

Sometimes I feel as though in the worlds I'd guess that almost all of us here on Serious Compacts inhabit (barring individual financial constraints) that there are too many choices. I feel as though I may have reached the saturation point...and I kind of hope it's true.;) Though don't quote me, if I end up with an X10 or an iPad!:tongue:

Back