Fuji X10 Premium Compact Announced

To me, the small sized sensor is just very ... unexciting. The form factor looks great. But every time I look at difference in IQ between my S90 vs. even a 4/3 sensor, it's difficult to want to use cameras with small sensors. Hence, my significant other gets to use the S90 all the time now (replaced her SD400). The IQ of my S90 vs. the X100 is even more noticeable.
My thoughts exactly Armando. Love the form factor - and even the aesthetic, contrary to public opinion - but the small sensor stumps me. I want to be excited about it and I want to convince myself that 2/3" is SO much larger than 1/1.7", but the charade can only be carried for so long. I look back at my LX5 and S95 images and I constantly just wish I framed the same image with the DP2 or X100. Don't mean to incite a debate here, but just my opinion.

If I were to get a X10, I'd hope that Fuji improved the AF speed and accuracy. With the X100, I still miss candids, because the AF is either too slow or it won't lock onto the subject.
No complaints for me so far. If it looks dicey, then I defer to MF with the use of the AEL button with small ringed tweaks. Works a charm....for me anyway.

My thoughts exactly Armando. Love the form factor - and even the aesthetic, contrary to public opinion - but the small sensor stumps me. I want to be excited about it and I want to convince myself that 2/3" is SO much larger than 1/1.7", but the charade can only be carried for so long. I look back at my LX5 and S95 images and I constantly just wish I framed the same image with the DP2 or X100. Don't mean to incite a debate here, but just my opinion.

No complaints for me so far. If it looks dicey, then I defer to MF with the use of the AEL button with small ringed tweaks. Works a charm....for me anyway.

I'm with Armando on this... candids, nope. More to learn about how to drive the X100.

As for the X10... I'm inclined to agree with you and then I begin thinking about how these shots are presented... its usually on the web (flickr, personal gallery, wherever) and the reality is that the smaller sensor really doesnt matter that much, for web presentation. If I want to print, I'm only going to be printing stuff that came off the DSLRs or the X100. And I hardly ever print. *shrug*

I take "candids" quite often and I'm not the quickest shot in the east, either. Not sure what I'm doing differently. Perhaps the initial set up comes into play? I don't have the photograph taken show up at all after I take the picture for one thing. I'm not the best at the technical set up details but have tried to make it use the least amount of power. But wait - this is the X10 thread!:eek:;)

I think Fuji X10 is going to be a winner. If I'm going the DSLR route, I will buy something like this as a 'carry-on' camera.

Having shot with various Fuji point-and-shoots before, I'm pretty sure that its EXR CMOS 2/3" sensor is going to be special.

From the pictures I like the way it looks. If the files are better than the LX5/D-Lux's and its set up is "easier" (as in simpler, as in dials and not a lot of pushing this and that), I can see it being a good seller. Time and cost will tell. Looking forward to our first hands on impressions and pictures!

..Still no real hard core info on the OVF, yet.
I dont really want another compact thats nearly as big as the X100... on the other hand if the OVF is of the quality suggested in the videos... I could be persuaded. And that sensor that was in the S100fs was pretty darned good (nearly bought that one, the weight defeated me... it weighed as much as a dslr with a kit lens)... this iteration will see it improved more.

Well, I couldn't fit my LX5 in my bluejeans pocket, so that's not an issue for me. Although I am really not in a position to purchase another camera since I do have the X100, I can't help but think about the zooooooooooooooom and those nice, straightforward controls.:D

I was told at work yesterday that the price here in the UK will be about £999 BUT it has NOT been confirmed. The X100 has just dropped in price to £889 so if i was in the market i would go for the X100 but i think the X10 would suit me better. I'm quite tempted by it but i would love / need to see some example images first and try it out in store. It's looking promising though!

Thanks Andy, that would price it out of my pocket. It looks nice but it doesn't seem to offer me anything that I cannot achieve from my ummmmm five other cameras! Still interested to read more about it, but my bank account can breathe a little easier now knowing I wont be diving in ..... It helps that it is coming out during the winter as I am a less enthusiastic photographer during the dark and dreich months.

Really? The same price - or actually even more than the X100? Sorry to be so frank, but I think they're dreaming.....I'm certain the same market who can buy an S95, LX5, EX1 or XZ-1 for far less, or a 4/3 for close to the same, will not see a reason nor an the incentive. Honestly, I thought USD599 tops!

So that's a big fat pass for me...

I don't think they would want to do that.

What they want to capture is probably the market for the G12/ Oly XZ-1 (and maybe some lower end micro 4/3s).

Given that the one big differentiator is the 2/3 sensor, I think $550-$600 would be very competitive and (if all its attributes are really what they're touted to be) a competitor killer.

I am assuming this may be the RRP and not the actual price. I'm hoping (and praying) it's more like £600 - £700 in which case I may take the plunge!! From the vids and images i have seen and the info I have heard it really does look like a wonderful camera to own and use. If the IQ is close or as good as the X100 then I'm in!!!!

Edit: Someone has stated it will be about $700 which will equate to about £650+ so looking good.......real good!!

Edit 2: Just seen a vid and they state between 499 and 599 euro's! 599 euro's equates to £521. This is getting better and better! But still hangs on the IQ!!!!

I don't see how it could be quite as good as the X100's due to the sensor size, however the LX5 was pretty good and this camera has some other strong things going for it, from what I've read. Keep us posted, Andy!;)

I don't see how it could be quite as good as the X100's due to the sensor size, however the LX5 was pretty good and this camera has some other strong things going for it, from what I've read. Keep us posted, Andy!;)

Yep, will do. If it's no better than the XZ-1 then I will have to think about which to have, the XZ-1 or X10. If the images are worse than the XZ-1 then I'll keep the XZ-1. Will be fun to find out!

Here is the X10 micro site: HOME | FUJIFILM X10

Back