Fuji X10 Premium Compact Announced

'Youse folks probably already found this but - Fujifilm X10: toma de contacto .
Some great images of the X10. I wish I could read it. ;) And I wish I could see in the viewfinder.
. . . David
I wish they'd gone one level further into that ISO menu so I could see if they put AUTO on there with all of the specific values... Not that I particularly care, just trying to see whether these folks learn from their mistakes...

-Ray

Whatever the camera turns out to be like, you have to admire the folks at Fuji for such a successful marketing campaign! No one has seen an image yet and loads of people have been convinced it's the camera for them.
And it's an easy trap to fall in, there's certainly some impressive specs that draw me in, the viewfinder, the slower f stop for landscapes, the filter thread and the claim of better image quality at 6mp which would suite me fine.
But it's pretty big for a compact and I think it looks too cute, some people will think it was bought as a piece of jewelry, I'd prefer something that didn't draw so much attention to itself.
So, I wait to see the images and if I like them, then where the price goes, if it's as good as the marketing campaign we're in for a treat, but at the same time I know that not all Fuji's products have been great.

The IQ of the images are going to be the deciding factor for me. If they are no better than the XZ-1 then it's a no go. I wish they would hurry up with some samples!:D

Whatever the camera turns out to be like, you have to admire the folks at Fuji for such a successful marketing campaign! No one has seen an image yet and loads of people have been convinced it's the camera for them.
And it's an easy trap to fall in, there's certainly some impressive specs that draw me in, the viewfinder, the slower f stop for landscapes, the filter thread and the claim of better image quality at 6mp which would suite me fine.
But it's pretty big for a compact and I think it looks too cute, some people will think it was bought as a piece of jewelry, I'd prefer something that didn't draw so much attention to itself.
So, I wait to see the images and if I like them, then where the price goes, if it's as good as the marketing campaign we're in for a treat, but at the same time I know that not all Fuji's products have been great.

Very perceptive of you mate. It was a campaign that worked a treat for them with the X100. The only difference here was will the anticipation levels. They kept us holding on since Photokina 2010....with little drip-fed teases. But no launch event and a quick deployment of the X10 it seems but with the crank wound tight on the hype machine.

....didn't this all start with a tweet from the FujiGuys only a month or so ago?

For many years I've dreamt of owing a camera like this and can't believe someone actually made it! Hats off to Fuji for taking the bold step. And using Ken Rockwell's lingo, suddenly many compact cameras have started looking 'dinky' by comparison; this looks like a real photographers tool!

Very perceptive of you mate. It was a campaign that worked a treat for them with the X100. The only difference here was will the anticipation levels. They kept us holding on since Photokina 2010....with little drip-fed teases. But no launch event and a quick deployment of the X10 it seems but with the crank wound tight on the hype machine.

....didn't this all start with a tweet from the FujiGuys only a month or so ago?
True, but I think a key difference is that there was nothing really comparable to the X100 out there when they introduced and started marketing it. The X1 was the closest but it was slow, expensive, and didn't have a viewfinder. The X100 was a whole new/old beast with a category to itself. That there was obviously a lot of demand for. The X10 is very similar, AFAICT, to the whole XZ1, LX5, EX1, S95, and even G12 category. Its got a couple of tricks of its own, but its distinction from these cameras is sleeker styling, a somewhat larger (but still quite small) sensor, and perhaps better IQ, but nobody's too sure on that part yet. And I wonder how much of a market there is between the much less expensive group of cameras noted above and the next leap up to a small m43 camera. IOW, I think this camera enters a fairly crowded market with some fairly esoteric stuff to differentiate itself, instead of a nearly new one that Fuji created all for themselves with the X100, at least at the outset (maybe other's will enter it, but they took all of the up front risk and seem to be reaping the rewards).

I'm sure they'll market it to death, but I have my doubts about how this one will do, even if it lives up to the hype. Whereas with the X100, it was pretty clear that if it even came close to living up to the hype, they were gonna sell a few. It came close and they seem to be selling them faster than they can make 'em. I just have trouble seeing the X10 do as well. But we'll see.

-Ray

Fuji X10 Shutter lag.

Well ,I certainly have enjoyed watching Fuji stand tall with Boldness and Grit in producing the cameras like the X100 and now the X10, which i will order as soon as i can. I just love the design, and the Manual metal cam focusing action and Metal body.

After again perusing their website , i read that their SHUTTER LAG for the X!0 will be a blazing 0.01 Milli Sec's. Thats 10 Milli Seconds, really unbelievable. !!!! The Nikon D3X shutter lag from pre AF to Shutter touch to capture is 4X slower at .043 Milli sec, thats 43 milli seconds. No more missed shots. Well done Fuji.

Dennis.

After again perusing their website , i read that their SHUTTER LAG for the X!0 will be a blazing 0.01 Milli Sec's. Thats 10 Milli Seconds, really unbelievable. !!!! The Nikon D3X shutter lag from pre AF to Shutter touch to capture is 4X slower at .043 Milli sec, thats 43 milli seconds. No more missed shots. Well done Fuji.

Dennis.

Well I just hope the IQ is up to the rest of the spec. The images on the X10 promo movie look impressive but impossible to tell as they are far too small.

The only thing that bothers me is 1/1000 sec shutter speed at f2. I don't know if this increases to 1/4000 at f2.2 or whatever the next stop is but it is rather poor for such a camera.

Fuji X10

Yes ,Andy that is an issue and i know the X100 has the built in ND filter.So will just have to shell out for a ND for the X10.

Does anyone know why the X100 /X10 cannot be designed to shoot wide open at 1/4000 shutter speed,? Is it an intrinsic design flaw for the EXR sensor in these two cams,?

Thanks Dennis

For those in the UK Warehouse Express is taking pre-orders for the X10 price £529.00 I've bought from this company in the past and found them ok but have not had to make any returns.

Does anyone know why the X100 /X10 cannot be designed to shoot wide open at 1/4000 shutter speed,? Is it an intrinsic design flaw for the EXR sensor in these two cams,?

Both cameras employ leaf shutters (shutter blades within the lens assembly itself) and typically leaf shutters are have speed limitations. The blades of the shutter simply can't cross quickly enough the distance of the aperture when open wide.

The ND filter in the X100 certainly is useful when shooting brightly lit subjects wide open... but it would be nice if you could employ the full range of shutter speeds at all aperture openings.

The NEX's focal plane shutter isn't speed limited but isn't near silent like leaf shutters can be. There are always trade offs lurking about.

Back