Fuji Fuji X10/Repair of sensor/Info from contacting Fuji today

cherrywood

Veteran
Having just purchased the X10 this week, and not having received it yet, I talked to the Fuji Repair division in NJ USA this morning about the ORB and Blooming issues. They said that all the cameras still under warranty, which should include all X10, since released in Aug. will be repaired free of charge, but we pay the shipping to them for the X10 repairs.

The repair person said they will replace the whole sensor, and may include the lens module, although they are not sure about that yet. But at the least, the Sensor will be replaced free, less the shipping. This is very good news for all of us with the X10, and Fuji is to be commended for doing the right thing here.

So I am looking forward to shooting with the New X10 and will send in the camera for the Sensor repair in may or june when the sensors arrive at Fuji NJ.USA

Thanks Dennis.

Thanks so much for this update, Dennis! I'd better get a phone call into them ASAP because I'm very fond of this little camera and I'd like to have it be at its best.

Just got off the phone with them myself. If you call NJ call 800) 659-3854 and then choose the prompt for either Pro or X100 repairs - don't go the Consumer repairs route. At this point they only are taking names and email addresses. They told me Fuji was creating a database and would email me - however, they also said "watch the forums". When they are ready with the fix/sensor there will be an announcement on the forums. Interesting, I thought.

Looking forward to the fix.

Just off the phone to Fuji UK.
They have put me on the list and allocated a workshop number.
When they get the new sensor ( no talk of a lens assembly here ) they will send me a box to return the camera in. All seems fair enough.

Since getting the camera in November light levels here in the UK have been quite low so it's not surprising that orbs haven't really bothered me during the winter but off to LA in the morning where I shall doubtless find more orbs in the California sunshine.

i've been gas'ing for the X10... still managing to hold off for now :)

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens to the X10s that are currently in stock at stores (amazon, B&H, etc.). How will Fuji handle the replacement of the cameras that are unsold in store inventories?

i've been gas'ing for the X10... still managing to hold off for now :)

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens to the X10s that are currently in stock at stores (amazon, B&H, etc.). How will Fuji handle the replacement of the cameras that are unsold in store inventories?

An excellent question. It might also be good to know at what serial number production of X10s with the new sensor commences.

I called the number Fuji gave with the X-10 "in the box" literature and I got the NJ center, so I assume it's the main one. As for the orbs, I've seen some minor examples for certain kinds of shots. I don't' shoot much at low iso, however, so they just don't pop up as much.

Thanks BBW for the number.
I really like having this little guy with me all the time.
It responds quickly and capably to events in the way I experience and photograph them.
So, it's hard to imagine sending it off for repair.
I have seen at least one orb replacing a specular highlight in a photograph of an automobile done during the day.
Other than that, it has not been an issue.
Keep Eager.
JH

dbarnett, I don't know how the answer. Since I live in NY, I called NJ. I'd give them a call and find out - the main thing is to get on the list.

Dan, I have only seen the orbs in my pictures a couple of times...and that was when I was either shooting directly into the sun with reflections on the water's waves or on a highlight from some chrome on a car and maybe once elsewhere. I REALLY like this camera very, very much and if they can improve the "orb issue", I'll like it even more because I won't have any minor concerns - however, for my uses 99% of the time I am not concerned at all and continue to love using this little mini Fuji X camera. I certainly would not return it for my money back, ever.

OK, there are enough questions, that I'll show my experience with orbs, which is pretty limited in daytime shooting, but bad enough to bother me for low light shooting.

Here's the only daylight shot that I'd say the orbs have pretty much wrecked. Full size:

View attachment 50709

Crop of the actual orbs, which run together here, but have pretty hard and defined edges:

View attachment 50710

Another daylight shot that has them, but that never would have bothered me initially. On closer examination, the one toward the left of the photo is enough to bother me, the smaller ones to the right I had to look pretty hard to even notice - first full size:
View attachment 50711

And two crops:

View attachment 50712
View attachment 50713

Here's a pretty typical urban night shot, where the orbs are abundant and big enough to be a problem - first, full size:
View attachment 50714

And a crop of the orbs:
View attachment 50715

And another evening shots where the orbs are abundant but generally small enough not to bother me (I'm not counting the obvious lights, which may have orbed or not, but would look about the same regardless):
View attachment 50716

And crops, just to show that they are orbs but, again, too small to really bother me:
View attachment 50717
6838568990_6e0ca7074b_b.png

As I've said before, none of this bothers me for daylight shooting. The bad example is the only one I've found like that and the other is much more typical, but doesn't bother me. The night images are a problem though - the first is much more typical than the second. In its current iteration, I like it as a daylight camera but don't really trust it for urban low light shooting, which I do a lot of when I'm in urban areas. I'll be interested to see if the fix can indeed fix the bad parts without also hurting the good parts. I don't have any technical basis for this, but my intuition tells me they may be opposite sides of the same coin and one may not be possible without the other.

-Ray

I just spoke with a rep at Fuji repair. BB - thanks for the phone number and the suggestion about the phone extension
options. 'Had a great discussion with a guy there, got my name and email address on the list for both my X10 and my X-S1.
It was pleasing to talk with someone at a camera company that actually owned and used their cameras.
. . . David

It's probably well known (I DIDN'T KNOW), but make sure you guys keep your receipt or have a copy of the original receipt. For Fuji to do any type of repair, they want a copy of the receipt.

I bought an X10 on eBay that was in new condition and advertised with "comes with 1 year warranty". After a day of use, I found a couple of problems, probably from manufacturing.

Called Fuji to inquire about these two things, and the rep said that one issue was covered under warranty, but the other was not. He told me to just send it in and he will try to take care of both the issues, free of cost! I was happy up until the point where he said I need a receipt.

Opened an eBay case and it's been pending for a few days. The seller does not have the receipt... This whole thing is pretty disappointing because it was a great deal, I love the camera and read about the sensor issue and the info on this thread relieved any concerns, + I even bought a Bip shutter release.

Maybe I'll buy another X10 in the future...

I'm so sorry to read that the person you bought this camera from did not have the receipt. That's terrible. So what are you going to do? Will you send it in and find out what the cost to repair will be?

In the meantime, here's a welcome to Serious Compacts to you winx14 and a howdy from me here in New York.:drinks:

I'm so sorry to read that the person you bought this camera from did not have the receipt. That's terrible. So what are you going to do? Will you send it in and find out what the cost to repair will be?

In the meantime, here's a welcome to Serious Compacts to you winx14 and a howdy from me here in New York.:drinks:

Waiting on the long eBay case process to see what happens :(. After all that is over, I will probably jump on an X10 (WITH RECEIPT) if I see one at a good deal. I think I can be patient about it, lol.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm coming from the sister site mu-43.

I'm with Lili; I'm considering buying a X10 because of the sun glare on the LCD on my other cameras....normally unusual at this time of the year in the UK.
I didn't know of the 'ORB' problem until researching on this forum about the X10, so am very glad I have....thanks I'll just have to wait a bit longer.
I assume some-one will let us know when the new revised 'batch' is available. (I'd also like one in 'White' as is my EXR600) I suspect it will be a long wait here in the UK there seem to be very avaiable.:(

Back