Fuji Fuji X10 -- special modes

I'm pretty sure that once you turn the mode dial to one of the special features, like EXR or ADV (which is where you find the "pro focus", "pro low light", and "panorama"), the camera's brain takes everything over and its just shooting jpeg. My understanding is that if you use the camera's EXR capabilities in PASM modes (just by turning the resolution down to "M"), you can still shoot raw, so you can get the EXR capabilities in raw as long as you don't turn the mode dial to EXR in order to get there. So far, I've only tried this with the in-camera raw processing and it seemed to work well enough, but your options are limited. Until Apple adds X10 support to Aperture, I won't really know how well this works with non-Fuji raw processors. But, honestly, the Fuji jpegs, on both this camera and the X100, are so good and leave so much processing headroom, that I may never end up shooting raw with this camera after some initial experimentation. I found I could almost never improve on the X100 jpegs so I just stopped shooting raw on that one and I could imagine the same thing happening with the X10, although I'll be a bit more cautious with the smaller sensor...

-Ray

That's a good point, I never realised that! I noticed the 'normal' and 'std macro' images above were not that different and it would make perfect sense for the camera to look for focus close up.

That's why on the X100, the macro button doesn't make any difference at all when you are shooting the camera in MF mode. Even if you use the AE button to initiate an AF run. In AF mode, IIRC macro mode does make a difference, opening up the AF to closer distances, where you would get a "red AF field" indicating an error if you don't use macro. Then again, the X100 does not have super macro.

No RAW in the advanced modes (pro low light, pro focus and sweep panorama). And no RAW in EXR if you turn the mode dial to EXR.

As far as using EXR while in PASM and shooting RAW, I'm still a little unsure if EXR is really being used while in PASM.

This thing is incredible.

Is this ONLY in jpg? (i.e. these features are processing features, and therefore are not in RAW)?

As far as using EXR while in PASM and shooting RAW, I'm still a little unsure if EXR is really being used while in PASM.

Well, the manual says it is, and the information should also be buried somewhere in the EXIF file. Of course, you don't need all that to proof EXR DR, just look at the ISO values used. Very easy to distinguish between EXR DR400 and conventional tone-mapping DR400.

Sweep Panorama

Sweep panorama on the X10 works like it does on the NEX. The camera automatically stitches the photos together. User can set sweeps of 360, 180, and 120 degrees. The X10 takes a series of S (small) size photos. It's actually easier to use than the NEX3. Not sure if the new NEX's have changed the user interface. Because the X10 uses S sized photos, the resolution is not very high, and not a lot of detail is captured. Nevertheless, it's a fun "special mode" to have, especially for nice scenaries.

If you click on this photo, you'll be taken to the Flickr site where you can see a 2048 pixels sized image of the photos.

Downtown Vancouver from Lonsdale Quay Hotel. It was very overcast day, so had to do some tweaking to make the photo look more vibrant. 180 degree sweep.

6433067363_721cfb4349_b.jpg

Downtown Vancouver from Lonsdale Quay Hotel by Armanius, on Flickr

West/North Vancouver as seen from the Lowden Lookout in Stanley Park. 120 degree sweep.

6433012437_fbe94be610_b.jpg

West Vancouver from Lowden's Lookout by Armanius, on Flickr

Back