Fuji Fuji X100 compared to Olympus E-PL2 plus Zeiss 18mm lens.

soundimageplus

Top Veteran
I've been having a look at how the Fuji X100 compares with a m4/3 camera fitted with an m-mount lens. In this case an Olympus E-PL2 plus a Zeiss 18mm f/4 Distagon.

5722064870_cb34b54a90.jpg

Theres some findings and samples on my blog at:-
Soundimageplus: Fuji X100 compared to Olympus E-PL2 plus Zeiss 18mm

I have a few comparison pictures which are available in larger sizes on flickr.

5721506331_71f129467f.jpg

While the Olympus / Zeiss images aren't bad, in fact they are very good, I preferred the Fuji images in terms of luminance noise, sharpness and colour. The interior shots are at ISO 200.

I did a few comparisons outdoors as well.

5723263252_dd58482fab.jpg

There are of course size and depth-of-field differences and this is far from a strict technical test, but I am constantly amazed by just how good the X100 is in terms of image quality.
Another thing that impresses me is how good the metering is. Its very consistent and suits the way I shoot very well.

If Fuji ever put together a CSC based on this, with an optical finder setting for each lens then it could be a remarkable system.

Hmmm... Personally, I can't determine much from these posted pics. Maybe the originals have a lot more information, or maybe others with a keener eye for these things could have a say.

The pics are processed, so sharpness, noise etc. seems pretty much the same to me. I don't see a difference much. The colors are different, with the Fuji's more saturated -- overly so in the red can in the first one and the grass in the second, but the blue on the boat in the second certainly has more "pop" than the EP2. I know the Fuji has those "film" modes -- were you using any special modes on the Fuji?

The kit size is pretty darn remarkable. The Fuji is MUCH more compact (or at least less awkward) from looking at the pics -- I'll bet lighter too?? Metering is something I can't tell from this, but given some metering snafus I have with my EP1 from time to time, it wouldn't surprise me if the X100 meters better.

Wish I could afford the X100. Seems like a nice compact kit. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting comparison.
I can see a lot to be said for using m4/3 instead of the X100 (zoom / flexibility) - it's a pity that nobody seems interested in putting out bodies of that quality - Maybe Olympus will finally come up to scratch. It seems that each new body is cheaper than the previous one.

Also - loved the black and white barge pics - excellent

all the best

Hmmm... Personally, I can't determine much from these posted pics. Maybe the originals have a lot more information, or maybe others with a keener eye for these things could have a say.
Click through to the Flickr site and then view the full size shots. You can REALLY see the difference there. That said, the fact that you really have to see them at 100% (or close to it) for the differences to become apparent certainly raises the question of whether the differences really matter. We had a separate thread on that, and the answer will be different for everyone. I find myself looking at 100% versions of my X100 shots because they look so good at full resolution, but I don't look at photographs like that in the real world, so to me it doesn't really matter. But I've also found myself cropping some of my X100 shots with a huge degree of confidence that I haven't had with other cameras, so there's certainly some value to it. I mostly love the X100 because its tremendously fun to shoot with though.

-Ray

it's a pity that nobody seems interested in putting out bodies of that quality - Maybe Olympus will finally come up to scratch. It seems that each new body is cheaper than the previous one.
/QUOTE]

Yes, that seems to be true. The GH2 feels worse than the GH1 and the E-PL2 I used certainly feels worse than the E-PL1 I had before. I still like the E-P1/2 but who knows what they will do with the E-P3!

Strangely enough the Samsung NX100 body feels very well made. It is all plastic I gather but its got a really nice feel and look to it.

The X100 is pretty well built and a lot better than the Leica X1, which was nothing like an M in terms of construction.

I guess its production costs calling the tune.

That said, the fact that you really have to see them at 100% (or close to it) for the differences to become apparent certainly raises the question of whether the differences really matter......... But I've also found myself cropping some of my X100 shots with a huge degree of confidence that I haven't had with other cameras, so there's certainly some value to it.

Yes I'd agree with that. In terms of printing, either domestic or published I doubt there would be much difference. However several of the picture libraries I supply are insistent on 48MB+ files and certainly the X100 files look much better when interpolated to that size than the Olympus ones.

The X100 is pretty well built and a lot better than the Leica X1, which was nothing like an M in terms of construction.

I guess its production costs calling the tune.

I really think that Leica put a huge effort into making the X1 small and light, and they did succeed, although you're right, the X100 feels more solid, I wonder which one would survive better being dropped from 2 metres onto a hard floor?

I must do some comparisons between the two, while I still have both. Ironically, the big complaint with the X1 was the poor Manual Focus, but after the firmware update it seems to me to be more useful than that on the X100 . . . . . not that that's saying much :rofl:

Incidentally, Is the X100 more compact than the EPL/2 - especially if you put the little 17mm lens on it? (pictures please :))

I really think that Leica put a huge effort into making the X1 small and light, and they did succeed, although you're right, the X100 feels more solid, I wonder which one would survive better being dropped from 2 metres onto a hard floor?

I await the video of your test with interest!!!!

Incidentally, Is the X100 more compact than the EPL/2 - especially if you put the little 17mm lens on it? (pictures please :))

I don't have a 17mm Olympus lens any more. However I've tried the E-PL2 with 20mm and 14mm pancakes & its very light and small. I'm in the process of doing a test of the X100 against the E-PL2 + 20mm so I'll do a picture of that.

I must do some comparisons between the two, while I still have both.

Wait, you're gonna drop both from two meters onto a hard floor as a comparison? Please, please, PLEASE make a video of this exercise!!;)

-Ray

Wait, you're gonna drop both from two meters onto a hard floor as a comparison? Please, please, PLEASE make a video of this exercise!!;)

-Ray

HI Ray
If they were both mine then of course I would do it . . . unfortunately the X1 is only borrowed, and so I don't think I have the right.

Incidentally, I'd bet on the X1 surviving better because it's so much lighter - except for the battery door perhaps.

Click through to the Flickr site and then view the full size shots. You can REALLY see the difference there. That said, the fact that you really have to see them at 100% (or close to it) for the differences to become apparent certainly raises the question of whether the differences really matter. We had a separate thread on that, and the answer will be different for everyone. I find myself looking at 100% versions of my X100 shots because they look so good at full resolution, but I don't look at photographs like that in the real world, so to me it doesn't really matter. But I've also found myself cropping some of my X100 shots with a huge degree of confidence that I haven't had with other cameras, so there's certainly some value to it. I mostly love the X100 because its tremendously fun to shoot with though.

-Ray

Ray, am I missing something? I thought I did open and view the larger ones. Like this for instance: All sizes | Fuji X100 Olympus E-PL2 Zeiss 18mm f/4 Distagon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I don't see a HUGE difference between the two, though there are some differences. Looking at the word "alchemyst" on the side of the barge, there are nasty sharpening halos all around the word on the X100 shot. Much less on the EPL2 shot, which would go to settings.

In front of that barge on this shot, there is a pipe with some rope. The rope tied around the pipe is blown out on the EPL2, but is much better exposed on the X100. But if you scroll down, the shadows on the X100 shot near the water line of the boat are darker than on the EPL2 shot, which shows a metering issue more than DR, though I'd expect the DR of the X100 to be better.

Although, the large brown rope (bumper?) on the front of the barge looks much better resolved on the X100 than the EPL2. Though I'm not familiar with the characteristics of that Zeiss 18mm lens. Still, I would expect the X100 to resolve sharper corner-to-corner, given that the lens should be matched to the sensor and the distance to the sensor.

I don't have an X100, so I can't appreciate what everyone's talking about. My only comment was that these side-by-side comparison shots are screen grabs or what have you. They are reprocessed, so it seemed to me that some of the exciting differences that everyone's raving on are lost to the uninitiated (like me!). I'm sure if I had the opportunity to see the X100 shots myself at full resolution, I would be a true believer :)

I mostly love the X100 because its tremendously fun to shoot with though.

-Ray

This is of enormous value to me. I can use virtually any camera. I have yet to use a camera that does not require some level of compromise over my ideal. But I have used very, very few cameras that I really enjoy using, where the fun comes into play. This is a common remark among X100 owners. I played with an X100 for a while a few days ago. Lots of compromises. A few of them bewilderingly unnecessary. But what a nice photographic companion.

I don't see a HUGE difference between the two, though there are some differences.

Interesting. I've just finished a test of the Fuji X100 against the E-PL2 plus 20mm f/1.7 pancake. That really produced some fascinating results. I'm finishing everything off currently and I'll publish a link when i have completed everything.

One thing I would say is I've always believed the 20mm is one of the best lenses I've ever used on any camera and what I've just seen confirms that opinion.

Ray, am I missing something? I thought I did open and view the larger ones. Like this for instance: All sizes | Fuji X100 Olympus E-PL2 Zeiss 18mm f/4 Distagon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I don't see a HUGE difference between the two, though there are some differences. Looking at the word "alchemyst" on the side of the barge, there are nasty sharpening halos all around the word on the X100 shot. Much less on the EPL2 shot, which would go to settings.

In front of that barge on this shot, there is a pipe with some rope. The rope tied around the pipe is blown out on the EPL2, but is much better exposed on the X100. But if you scroll down, the shadows on the X100 shot near the water line of the boat are darker than on the EPL2 shot, which shows a metering issue more than DR, though I'd expect the DR of the X100 to be better.

Although, the large brown rope (bumper?) on the front of the barge looks much better resolved on the X100 than the EPL2. Though I'm not familiar with the characteristics of that Zeiss 18mm lens. Still, I would expect the X100 to resolve sharper corner-to-corner, given that the lens should be matched to the sensor and the distance to the sensor.

I don't have an X100, so I can't appreciate what everyone's talking about. My only comment was that these side-by-side comparison shots are screen grabs or what have you. They are reprocessed, so it seemed to me that some of the exciting differences that everyone's raving on are lost to the uninitiated (like me!). I'm sure if I had the opportunity to see the X100 shots myself at full resolution, I would be a true believer :)

When I look at those side by side, I don't see any real difference in the word "Alchemyst" (I'm missing the halos), but in the lower portion everything from the rope bumper to the rope holding the boat, to the grass alongside the trail, to the path itself look much sharper and better resolved to me.

Again, I'm not arguing it matters (unless you're into pretty heavy cropping or huge poster sized prints), but I do see a fairly strong difference.

-Ray

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a luddite here but I'm not seeing much difference at this size either. Aside from the obvious differences in colour response which is a matter of taste and adjustable, the biggest difference I note is the softness in the extreme corners of the Olympus shot which looks to be a lens issue and therefore not attributable to the camera. The Olympus shot also appears to have a greater depth of field although I'd assume for this type of test that the same aperture valus were used for each camera/lens. Difference due to sensor size maybe?

The Olympus shot also appears to have a greater depth of field although I'd assume for this type of test that the same aperture valus were used for each camera/lens. Difference due to sensor size maybe?

Yes thats the case, there is more depth of field on the Olympus shot, due to the fact that the Zeiss lens on it is an 18mm as opposed to the 23mm on the Fuji.

I think there are slight differences in the original size shots; mostly due I think to slight differences in metering and focus plane.
I really hate getting into pixel-peeping IQ tests. Most cameras today can produce superb images at the sizes of reproduction we really look at.
What is fairly telling to me is the difference in kit size; the addition of the VF-2 and large Zeiss lens makes the E-PL2 combo really..clunky IMHO.
The X100 is superbly integrated system.
Very Sleek.
Of course if one puts on a pancake lens, say a Panny 14/2.5 or Oly 17/2.8 and just use the LCD then the PEN is back to the same level of sleekness.
Albeit w/o VF.

The X100 is superbly integrated system.
Very Sleek.
Of course if one puts on a pancake lens, say a Panny 14/2.5 or Oly 17/2.8 and just use the LCD then the PEN is back to the same level of sleekness.
Albeit w/o VF.
Yeah, its really about the OVF, silent shutter, and low light performance with the X100, at least for me. And it may be that I stick with jpegs with this camera also, which would be a new experience for me. I've been shooting raw for a day and the write-time really comes into play where its really a non-issue shooting jpegs. If they'd just stick a Nex type and quality LCD on the back so I could frame the shot when shooting from the hip, all of my prayers would be answered...

-Ray

Yeah, its really about the OVF, silent shutter, and low light performance with the X100, at least for me. And it may be that I stick with jpegs with this camera also, which would be a new experience for me. I've been shooting raw for a day and the write-time really comes into play where its really a non-issue shooting jpegs. If they'd just stick a Nex type and quality LCD on the back so I could frame the shot when shooting from the hip, all of my prayers would be answered...

-Ray

You mentioned my pet peeve with the PEN; the loud shutter. It is no quieter than my e510 DSLR! I love the results I get from the E-PL1 but wish it were as silent as my F70EXR or XZ-1 are when shooting. I know that the focal pane shutter is pretty much required in CSC's unless one wants to have leaf shutters in each lens.
And that would COST.

Back