Fuji Fuji X100 Firmware Update 1.01

Ray
Can I ask two more questions.
Firstly when I try to change something. the screen disappears before I've got time to change anything. Can I get it to stay on longer?
Secondly the image playback just after I've taken it is dark and oversaturated, however the file when I view it on computer is perfect.
Is there a way to see it "correctly"?

David

I felt like that the first couple of days as well, and irritated with the whole ISO menu thing until I realized how good high ISO was and just decided to trust the auto ISO to get it right enough (which it has). But you get used to it pretty quickly. What I find now is I almost always just use the OVF in decent light and don't think about the other modes. In low light I'll usually use the EVF because it gains up quite well. And sometimes when I need to shoot from an odd angle I just lift camera from my face and use the LCD. I don't even really think about it any more and I'm a wily old vet of about two weeks with this camera now. :cool:

BUT, you seem to do a lot of very close work and for that, you're gonna have to switch to the EVF a lot more often and learn to use the macro mode quite a bit also. It works real well for close up work, but getting it into a mode that will focus close up and focus on the RIGHT part of the screen is not immediately intuitive.:cool: I rarely shoot so close I need the macro mode but I occasionally shoot close enough that I'll switch to EVF just to make sure I'm focusing on the right spot. And now that the manual focus seems to work so well with the updated firmware, I may just use that for close up stuff and avoid the AF and switching to macro mode altogether.

-Ray

An aside here to say that I've just been reading your blog, David - great to see the camera in its "leathers" with the hood - very handsome, the comparison, and to read your ongoing experiences. I'm enjoying myself very much!

I hope Ray will get back to you soon. I am sure I'm not alone in thanking all you Fuji X100ites for sharing your ongoing discoveries. I should start taking notes.;)

Ray
Can I ask two more questions.
Firstly when I try to change something. the screen disappears before I've got time to change anything. Can I get it to stay on longer?
Secondly the image playback just after I've taken it is dark and oversaturated, however the file when I view it on computer is perfect.
Is there a way to see it "correctly"?
I'm not sure what you mean the screen disappears before I've got time to change anything? Do you mean in the immediate aftermath of the shot when its showing the review or still writing to the card? When its writing to the card, my understanding is all you can do is change the readily available things like aperture and shutter speed, but nothing requiring a menu. I don't find single shot write times bad when I'm just shooting jpeg, but RAW+jpeg can take a while (and the bulk of that is RAW, so I doubt shooting just raw will be much better). The couple of times I've taken some short bursts it just shuts everything down for a while until it gets itself sorted - I won't be doing much, if any, burst shooting with this camera, particularly once there's raw support in Aperture for it.

In term of seeing the file "correctly" in review, I don't think there's anything you can do, but I've never tried to be honest. I find the review adequate to tell me if I've grossly messed something up like over-exposure or focussed on the completely wrong part of the scene or something but not much more than that. I think the rear screen is better for this than the EVF though. When I was on vacation and would go through images in the evening on the LCD, they look pretty good!

Sorry, you may have exhausted the (very real) limits of my knowledge already!

-Ray

I'm not sure what you mean the screen disappears before I've got time to change anything?

Say you press a button on the back like DISP BACK to change one of the parameters. The display seems to disappear very quickly, before I've had time to change it. It doesn't just stay there.

Say you press a button on the back like DISP BACK to change one of the parameters. The display seems to disappear very quickly, before I've had time to change it. It doesn't just stay there.

Oh yeah, you're right. I've sort of gotten used to it, but when you hit display back, you have to have your thumb on the selection wheel and be ready to move or the selection options will disappear pretty quickly. I don't know of any way around this - I guess I've just gotten used to it. But it does seem rather stupid to design so little time into it...

-Ray

Oh yeah, you're right. I've sort of gotten used to it, but when you hit display back, you have to have your thumb on the selection wheel and be ready to move or the selection options will disappear pretty quickly. I don't know of any way around this - I guess I've just gotten used to it. But it does seem rather stupid to design so little time into it...-Ray

I had a feeling you were going to say that. It didn't seem like anything that would be optional.

Back