Fuji Fuji X100 with the conversion lens - WCL-X100, effective 28mm lens

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
Have I missed it or has anyone here already gotten a hold of one of these conversion lenses? I've been rather preoccupied with things not at all camera related and may be behind the times on this. As soon as I heard about this lens, I knew eventually I'd want to buy it. I haven't yet but hope to down the line.

Just a few minutes ago I found that Brandon Remier (who works for Fujifilm and makes no bones about that) has a nice blog post with some very good examples of what the lens can do: Thoughts From My Camera: Fujifilm X100 with WCL-X100 Conversion Lens

For those of us who are X100 folks, I think it looks as though it would be a real plus, especially if you're like me and prefer a bit wider lens.

So, does anyone have one yet? Thinking about it? Wishing for it?

P.S. I see that I missed his first blog post: Fujifilm X100 with WCL-X100 28mm Adapter Lens

BB, hi! I have it in my cart at B&H. It was supposed to arrive in stock yesterday, but they took that off the item and it now shows as a new item, available for pre-order. Like you, I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from the "usual suspects". In the meantime, I'm going to wait to pull the trigger.

One impression I've gotten from reading the blogs: this is not meant to be a quick change lens a la μ43 or other ILC systems. Its installation involves removing a ring on the existing lens housing, affixing the conversion lens, then going into the menus to recognize the conversion lens. But if you want a 28mm FOV instead of 35mm for an outing, this looks pretty magical. For those with a bent toward 28mm, it could become a more or less permanent attachment. Very intriguing!

Hi, BB. Unless some report comes along to change my mind I will definitely be getting it based on the early samples I've seen. It looks like an excellent conversion lens and the 28mm equivalent focal length would be perfect on the X100, in my opinion. Do a search on google for wcl-x100 and you'll find quite a few sample images here and there. Sadly what you won't find is anyone who has it in stock yet.

There are a few of them turning up on DPR in the hands of folks from Asia - looks downright excellent. Probably technically cleaner in the corners than the 18mm on the X-Pro, for those looking that closely. I'd definitely get it if I still had an X100 and wasn't planning to get an X-Pro. One question I haven't seen answered yet is how the lens looks through the OVF - its big enough and the framelines have got to be big enough that it could be an issue. Even more if you use it with a hood. Nobody's really commented on this yet, but its the only potential downside I see...

-Ray

Hi, Ray. I saw someone comment that it took up the lower right fourth of the OVF, which is pretty substantial if true. Add on the hood and it would be even worse. Upon reading that I decided that while not optimal I could deal with it, especially considering the fact that I don't think the OVF gives a 100% view with the adapter on. One could always use the EVF if it was problematic. At least you have that option.

Glad to hear from everyone. It's definitely on my "wish list", but since we're about to do some serious home renovations...which is a subject for another thread, maybe in the Pub, I will probably have to bide my time for quite a while.

She repeats to herself "Less is more, less is more...";)

Back