Fuji Fuji X100S Firmware 1.02 Update

Placebo works every single time. I have yet to see a firmware update for any Fuji X camera that doesn't result in some people reporting faster or better AF. ;)

Placebo works every single time. I have yet to see a firmware update for any Fuji X camera that doesn't result in some people reporting faster or better AF. ;)

I actually refused to read any reports on the web until I updated it last night.

In my mini test scene (ie. my desk and a coke bottle, 4 ft distance followed by 20 ft door knob), my HOLY CRAP INSTANTANEOUS LOCK rate went from the typical 1-2 in 10 tries to 3-5.

Just saying...:p

Upgraded mine, not seeing any difference in AF speed here, but I figured I could do with the OVF fix at least.

Thanks for reminding me. I have an OM-D update that I haven't installed that is rumored to add Focus Peaking to my X-E1.

The X-E1 already offers focus peaking (always did), at least kind of. It's the same peaking we know from the X100S, just not as pronounced and only visible in magnification modes, mostly the 3x magnification and particularly with wide-angle lenses.

I have yet to update mine yet. I find it hard to really compare user experiences regarding these things because so many variables affect the AF speed of this camera. Drewbot's test methodology and report seems to be one of the better ones, even if the results are perhaps disappointing.

The X-E1 already offers focus peaking (always did), at least kind of. It's the same peaking we know from the X100S, just not as pronounced and only visible in magnification modes, mostly the 3x magnification and particularly with wide-angle lenses.

My eyes are still young and with better than 20/20 vision, I can see the "shimmering" effect you describe at even 1:1 sometimes thru the EVF.

I have yet to update mine yet. I find it hard to really compare user experiences regarding these things because so many variables affect the AF speed of this camera. Drewbot's test methodology and report seems to be one of the better ones, even if the results are perhaps disappointing.

It really is hard to compare user to user. Everyone has their own take.

But as you described, the results are still somewhat mediocre, but an improvement nonetheless. I somewhat hate the fact that this thing can lock AF instantaneously sometimes, then sometimes decide it wants to flop back and forth.

FWIW, the incremental performance I am seeing is using the standard AF box size thru OVF and EVF. High performance ON, OVF powersave OFF.

updated mine. no apparent difference in AF speed.
May I ask if you mean in good light, dim light or both and if you have experience with X100 as well?

Which settings did you set on the X100S? These below are suggested to get the fastest AF:

OVF Power save mode OFF
Macro mode OFF
High Performance ON
AF Assist Lamp ENABLED
AF Box size DEFAULT

My preferences:

Fast startup ON
Using only OVF and focus on subjects from 1.5 meter or more. Corrected framelines enabled
AF-S mode

Back