Fuji Fuji X100s - one more "first impression" post...

Thanks for posting this Ray. I just got back from a weekend of shooting just the X100S and RX1 for a full rehearsal dinner, wedding, & reception, plus some travel photos along the way. I'm still sorting out the results and processing photos but my initial response is basically the same as what you've written here so it's good to see some confirmation/reaffirmation of my gut feelings so far.

A very thoughtful review. I recently bought my first Fuji camera - an X100S. I liked it primarily because the controls echo the way I used to like to work with manual SLR cameras.

I agree with your views. I have not got the experience of the camera models you have but I do also use a GF2 from Panasonic. I really miss the viewfinder so much that I sought out the X100S. It makes all the difference in the world to me.

And may I also say - great photographs - lovely colours and interesting compositions. Many thanks.

Thanks Ray,

Some very thought provoking observations here that make me consider even more carefully more future planning.

I have had my X100 for well over a year and I am very pleased with the results it delivers, I can live with the slower AF for the subject matter I use it for.

I was considering upgrading to the X100s at the end of the year, however, I have recently parted company with my DSLR kit and GX1 and picked up the OMD with a nice clutch of lenses (fast primes) I am delighted and amazed with the IQ from this camera (Sony sensor obviously does its job well) and as you eluded to, it does produce quality images that can match those from my X100.

In view of this I am now considering holding off on my X100 decision and seeing if the Olympus/Sony partnership delivers a replacement OMD later this year, if so, it will probably be more prudent for me to go this route and continue to use my existing X100 as and when. My alternative is to again keep the X100 and look at adding a nice fast 12mm lens to the olympus clutch.

A long time yet between now and then (year end) so plenty of time to look at the roadmap for Olympus and make a more informed decision (I hope) when speculation materialises as fact.

All in all, exciting times for us all as big boys make smaller bodies and Mu43 makes better performing cameras that deliver IQ on par - a playing field that if you rule out DSLR's becomes ever more level and decisions can be based more on size and tactile interaction as IQ will be fairly consitent across the field.

Does anyone know when the xpro2 will be out and what spec. If soon thinking of getting x100s for street walk around photography, keep the lenses and sell the xe1 body as I have a buyer for it. I do enjoy the xfuji experience and use gadgets like trigger trap which is fun. Not a professional just enjoy taking pictures mainly street and faces. Now I hear xe2????? Help

Does anyone know when the xpro2 will be out and what spec. If soon thinking of getting x100s for street walk around photography, keep the lenses and sell the xe1 body as I have a buyer for it. I do enjoy the xfuji experience and use gadgets like trigger trap which is fun. Not a professional just enjoy taking pictures mainly street and faces. Now I hear xe2????? Help

No, I don't think anyone knows when the X-Pro 2 may be coming along. Rico might, but if he does he's no doubt sworn to secrecy. There haven't been any strong / leaked rumors about it so it's probably not all that close, but it should be along sometime before too long... I think you have to assume it could be several more months and perhaps be pleasantly surprised if it shows up sooner...

-Ray

We discussed this in an earlier thread here:

https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?t=486

I would say I stand by what I said earlier:

jloden said:
... best guesses I've seen seem to place the X-Pro2 as being announced late this year, available early 2014. That's based on the Fuji timeline between other releases like the original X100/X-Pro and X-E1/X100S. I think after reviewing their history, that seems the most logical and likely scenario.

Having said that, with an X-E1S now possibly coming in that timeframe maybe that means an X-Pro2 is a little farther out; I'm not sure. But my guess is still X-Pro2 late this year/early next.

Back