Fuji Fuji X100T vs. Panasonic LX100

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
The Panasonic LX100 is being celebrated quite heartily on this, the day of its formal unveiling before Photokina. And with good reason: It's a helluva camera. But one omission on the part of Panasonic - an integrated flash (even a weak one for fill purposes) simply makes me crazy. Maybe it's because the camera is so close to perfect to me in every other way. But what is it with these camera companies? They seem to have a biological need to pull some bone-headed move with every new design.

So, I'm reconsidering the LX100. My other option with the money I've saved from selling off some other cameras is the X100T. The Fuji is a fixed focal-length camera versus the 24-75mm equivalent zoom of the LX100. External controls are similar on both cameras and both have viewfinders. The X100T has a larger sensor but the Panasonic (I'm only assuming here) probably focuses faster. I don't have to rush this decision. But if anyone has any thoughts they'd like to offer, I'd love to read them.

I pre-ordered one. Onboard flash is the pits, it has a hot shoe, and that's good enough for a trigger if you need it. I'd gladly trade the popup on my RX100 Mk1 for a hot shoe.

This camera literally checks all the boxes for me. And a huge suck it goes out to everyone on the M43 site that said a fast and compact lens could not be built. Add leaf shutter, EVF and perfect size.... I couldn't resist.

And a huge suck it goes out to everyone on the M43 site that said a fast and compact lens could not be built. Add leaf shutter, EVF and perfect size.... I couldn't resist.

Oh, I know what you mean. Everyone thinking inside the box and basing their opinions of what is possible on what they have already seen. If one doesn't have to include a traditional camera mount, many things become possible. Perhaps I'll come to the LX100 - but I'll have to think this through.

Just imagine if it had a fuji jpeg engine! That's my one worry, I love shooting jpeg and I'm in for a lot of raw work now as I don't like Panasonic jpegs.

It's 12mp, and Panasonic jpgs are useless for anything except proofing. Their track record on support/firmware enhancements is lacklustre too, particularly compared to Fuji (or Ricoh). I confess it leaves me cold - just another "shiny thing".

It's funny, as many others compare the LX100 to the X30.

I'm sure it's a great camera (I also find the FZ1000 very interesting), but I am not aware of any Panasonic breakthroughs regarding EVF performance, natural live view, DR preview etc. – which is what the X30 and X100T are really about, besides the great JPEG engine, X-Trans and the hybrid viewfinder in the X100T.

For me, it's paramount to have a camera that supports me in getting the best image possible.

Yes, many compare it both the X30 and X100/s/t, etc. It's really a new camera and not actually an LX7 replacement which would have been an X30 competitor; nor is it a direct competitor for the X100 line either. I see it as in between the two. They may not have the breakthroughs listed in the previous post, but the breakthrough they did get was a body that size, with a built in lens of that speed with a sensor larger than the X30 or Sony RX100 line. That is an accomplishment in my book. I'm glad they did it. Competition helps everyone :) I'm sure there will be some who planned on the X30 or X100/s/t who will go the the LX100 - just as their are those who planned on the LX100 (who once they saw the real thing) have decided to go with the X100/s/t line or a full mirrorless system camera instead. It goes both way.

Back