Fuji Fuji X30 Announced: Tilt screen, same EVF as X-E2, MANUAL MOVIE CONTROLS!!!!

val

Veteran
First Look: Fujifilm X30 - Fuji Rumors

12MP 2/3” X-Trans CMOS II sensor
EXR Processor II
NEW Real Time Viewfinder with 0.005 second lag time, 0.65 magnification and 2.36M dot OLED
Intelligent Hybrid AF in 0.06 seconds
Fast start-up time of 0.5 seconds
Shutter time lag of 0.01 seconds
High speed continuous shooting of 12fps (11 frames continuously in JPEG at full resolution)
FUJINON F2.0-2.8 lens 4x manual zoom lens with HT-EBC coating
NEW Tilting 3.0” Premium Clear LCD (920k dots)
NEW ‘Classic Chrome’ and other film simulation modes
NEW Long lasting battery with approximately 470 photos per charge. Charges using supplied micro USB cable
Pop-up Super Intelligent Flash
Super Macro mode to .039”
Focus Peaking function
Motion Panorama 360
Advanced Filters
“Q” button for frequently used menu items
Multiple Exposure
Full HD video 1080p at 60fps; bit rate of 36Mbps for clear capture of delicate movements
Manual focus available during video recording*7
Free FUJIFILM Camera Remote application and Wireless Communication function allows users to remotely shoot images from smartphones and tablets
Output for Stereo Microphone
Electronic level
Live histogram
Interval timer shooting (1 second to 24 hours up to 999 frames)

I am very interested in this new model. I think all the changes are good. I would have liked to see a slightly larger sensor but that didn't happen. I was going to get an X20 but because I only shoot jpegs on compacts I was leery with the noise issue. They fixed that with this new one. They also gave it a better battery, focus peaking, multi-function lens ring, improved video and a better menu{even though the old one looks like it was good}. I like the slightly larger size as I have large hands and find some small cameras too cramped. The styling isn't as nice as the older versions but the X30 isn't ugly. For most things I have found I prefer an EVF over optical{except in very low light} so I am good with the change. For sure this will be on my list to Santa this Christmas!

Just repurchased a used X-10 last week because I missed its form factor, size and the EXR images so much. The X-30 has a number of key features that I find really important and a definite step up from the X20 which I passed on: EVF, tilting LCD, better video+ mic input. This will be a hard one to resist! Looks like either the GX-7 or Rx-10 will have to go.......

Most of the key features of the X30 are either improved or new firmware features. Of course, the EVF is mandatory for using these features, as it's mostly about wysiwyg and maximum exposure control. An OVF is useless for that purpose, as it is no indicator for how the final image will look like.

Of course, this doesn't mean that OVFs are useless altogether. Their pros and cons remain, it's just that EVFs keeps adding pros and dropping cons from one generation to the next, especially in Fujifilm cameras. This makes the hybrid viewfinder concept of the X100 and XPro series all the more interesting and exciting, especially since Fuji will certainly improve the integration of the OVF and EVF components.

I myself am I big fan of EVFs and for the price, you're getting a good amount of features although once street prices become a bit more competitive then it would sell better.

I would of preferred a 1" sensor but $599 is definitely more of an appealing price and I prefer the current size although how Sony got the RX100 MK 3 so small is beyond me.

Most of the key features of the X30 are either improved or new firmware features. Of course, the EVF is mandatory for using these features, as it's mostly about wysiwyg and maximum exposure control. An OVF is useless for that purpose, as it is no indicator for how the final image will look like.

To be fair, you actually can't get more WYSIWYG than a good OVF... The whole point of an OVF for me has nothing to do with any of the above. It is my preference to actually see my subject (albeit through optics) rather than on a tiny TV screen. EVFs are great, and improving all the time, but to me at least they will always be akin to making love whilst wearing boxing gloves...

OVF doesn't get us any WYSIWYG at all. You will never get an image that resembles the OVF view. That's why we need EVFs to show us what the result will look like. Luckily, the simulation is now very good, I have just received the final firmware for the X30. Sadly, I have to return the camera tomorrow, so no more testing from my side until a production sample arrives in a few weeks.

To me, OVFs will always be my second choice, as they don't give me a clue what my image will look like. But it's nice to have a hybrid viewfinder like in the X100T. Combines the advantages of both systems.

There are now 200 images in my X30 sample album: Fujifilm X30 Sample Images

Nope. No OVF, no deal. I had an X10 and loved it. The other specification "improvements" leave me cold too. Time to go shopping for a runout X20, methinks...

I agree! I do not care how wonderful the EVF is. The OVF was the one feature that made the x20 truly unique. Now, the x30 squares off with the RX100III, not to mention the G5 or new LX from Panasonic. How does the x30 win in that arena? I hope it works for Fuji.

Silent Mode on X30 and .pdf manual

Does the X30 have a "silent mode" and/or an electronic shutter mode? I assume it does since the X20 had them.
Anyone have a link to an X30 .pdf manual yet?

Thanks.

OVF doesn't get us any WYSIWYG at all. You will never get an image that resembles the OVF view. That's why we need EVFs to show us what the result will look like. ...

I disagree, but I suspect that this is for terminology/linguistic reasons as much as technology. Maybe our use of the term WYSIWYG is the root cause.

I am interested in directly viewing what goes on in front of me. I want to see it clearly with no intervention, interpolation or processing. Thus to me a crystal clear OVF shows me EXACTLY what SUBJECT MATTER will be captured and is therefore true to life. The perfect EVF does the same. What you will do to the captured image in post is not WYSIWYG but actually more WYSIMVOTS - or What You See Is My Visualisation Of The Subject.

Is that clearer?

Thus to me a crystal clear OVF shows me EXACTLY what SUBJECT MATTER will be captured

Well, not even this, as the OVF usually isn't 100%. Even the latest OVF frame in the X100T only covers 92% (IIRC) of the action, so here goes the "exactly". And of course the OVF doesn't give us any indication how the result will look like. That's what WYSIWYG means: The GET means the RESULT from the camera. The resulting image. That's what we GET, and that's what we want to SEE, and we can only see it in an EVF, never in an OVF.

Btw, X30 features Natural Live View to simulate an OVF and how humans view high-contrast scenes. It's a nice feature, it can also be useful for hardcore RAW shooters, but be careful, as the DR of the Live View will be larger than the DR of the sensor at DR100%. You'd have to set DR400% to be on the safe side.

Well, not even this, as the OVF usually isn't 100%. Even the latest OVF frame in the X100T only covers 92% (IIRC) of the action, so here goes the "exactly". And of course the OVF doesn't give us any indication how the result will look like. That's what WYSIWYG means: The GET means the RESULT from the camera. The resulting image. That's what we GET, and that's what we want to SEE, and we can only see it in an EVF, never in an OVF. ...

No.

We are definitely talking past each other. Let me have one more go. Look through the viewfinder of a Leica M. That viewfinder, for any lens of 28mm and above gives an view greater than that covered by the lens. Thus one can - and I frequently have - anticipate elements moving into frame. This is particularly pronounced with lenses of 50mm and above. An EVF simply cannot do that.

An OVF gives me EXACTLY what result I will GET from the camera in terms of subject and composition. As I said earlier, I am not that interested in a representation of what I will eventually achieve via post-processing. That is the realisation of my pre-visualisation - what I saw rather than what I witnessed.

Hope this is clearer now.

No.

We are definitely talking past each other. Let me have one more go. Look through the viewfinder of a Leica M. That viewfinder, for any lens of 28mm and above gives an view greater than that covered by the lens. Thus one can - and I frequently have - anticipate elements moving into frame. This is particularly pronounced with lenses of 50mm and above. An EVF simply cannot do that.

Sure, I know all about what OVFs are good for (they were a chapter in my X-Pro1 book). However, this has nothing to do with WYSIWYG.

As I said earlier, I am not that interested in a representation of what I will eventually achieve via post-processing.

Well, then you aren't interested in WYSIWYG.

WYSIWYG is a term that was coined when the Macintosh came about, as it allowed users to SEE on the screen what the final printed document (what they GOT) looked like. So WYSIWYG is all about simulating final output (in this case, the JPEG from the camera) on a screen. Only an EVF can do that. Don't want/need that? That's your choice. I love to already see the exposure, colors, contrast etc. of my final image as I take a shot. It's great, especially in manual mode M, which I am now using almost exclusively with X series cameras, and will even more so with the X30, X100T and X-T1GS, as these cameras are also perfectly simulating DR settings. This was great for exposing the high DR scenes at the Nuremberg festival.

Back