Fuji Fuji X70 to Be Announced

[linguistic pedant mode on]
"ordered" - pet peeve. ;) It's in common usage but it just ain't right. A bit like saying "the hoi polloi". I have ordered an X-Pro2; there's nothing pre- about it.

That out of the way, I'm very interested to see how you get on with it. It's just not doing it for me.

Now that you mention it "pre-ordered" is an odd term. Ok then - I ordered one but I don't expect it until mid-February. :D
I should have some images up on da' forum from it soon after it arrives along with some initial observations.
. . . David

Thanks, Ray. Valid point. I haven't used a finder in quite a while.
. . . David
Different "finders" are different. With an EVF or an OVF in a DSLR, you can absolutely rely on the AF point being accurate (whether the AF itself is accurate is another question unrelated to the finder). Even on the OVF half of the hybrid finders in the X100 and X-Pro family, there's an attempt to correct for, or at least show YOU how to correct for, the parallax inherent in a finder that's both well to the left of the center of the lens and above it as well. I'm not sure what, if anything, Leica does to provide for parallax correction in their OVFs. A "dumb" OVF like the one we're discussing here doesn't have any side horizontal parallax, but it does vertically, and since it has no brains or electronics overlaid on the view, you have absolutely no guidance regarding how far the actual AF point may be from any central focus point shown in the OVF.

All that said, CONGRATULATIONS on your pre-order (which I think is a perfectly reasonable way to distinguish between ordering a product that's available and one one that hasn't come to market yet)... I hope you love the camera, finder or not!

-Ray

Thanks, Ray. It was a whimsical order. I have a number Fuji X bodies and lenses and use them almost daily. For some reason the X70 just looked appealing to me, maybe because it had f-stops and shutter speeds readily available and not hidden in menus - something I really don't like much.
As previously mentioned I've used "dumb" finders before and sorta' know their limitations. I think the last one was on an RD-1 that I wish I hadn't sold.
I have an XF1 for a pocket camera and it actually works quite well in that mode. If the X70 ends up being a grab n' go pocket camera, (sans OVF), then I will probably gift my XF1 to my son's GF - an aspiring image maker.
That's the story for now and again thanks for the points you've brought up regarding the finders. Good information for anyone considering the X70. 'Greatly appreciated.
. . . David

Back