Fuji Fuji X70

Different strokes again... 28 is uncomfortably wide for me, for a daily carry. My GR defaults to 47mm even with the "penalty" of the resultant crop. I would not in a million years buy a 24mm fixed lens camera.

OIS is irrelevant to me at these focal lengths and video is a "feature" that, like tilty and touchy, I would pay a premium to have deleted.

I have a polite question. If the 47 mm mode is just a crop, then my Coolpix A would have the same feature in PP. What am I missing? And Amen to the video comment.

You do have the same feature in PP. The point of the digital crop is that it is in-camera, so WYSIWYG at the time of shooting.

This may help:

The files are smaller, it is true, but still very usable. On the GR, the raw file is cropped too, not just the jpg. It will be interesting to see how Fuji does it. Digital crops of this type are becoming more common as sensor sizes increase - Leica is at it too, with their Q.

These are the Ricoh numbers:
28mm equivalent (18.3mm) 16.2mp sensor; image size - 4928x3264 pixels
"35mm" - 3936x2608 pixels and,
"47mm" - 2912x1936 pixels

...and in terms of file size (approximately)
Ricoh GR, "28mm" - 5.8 - 6.3mp
Fuji X100T, "35mm" - 7.0 - 7.5mp
Ricoh GR, "35mm" - 3.8 - 4.1mp
Ricoh GR, "47mm" - 2.1 - 2.5mp

I never have been a user of in-camera cropping. But I definitely see the advantages of being able to frame with WYSIWYG, but I don't see why we can't get a full sensor RAW with the cropped JPEG.

I have been a long time GR user, I still have them all and am very familiar with their use and shortcomings. edit: in the last several months I have sold off most and use the GR almost exclusively.
I am surprised by the negative reactions to the X70. The Coolpix A is essentially gone and other fixed lens compacts like the Sony RX1II are very expensive and larger. There is not much else in this line anywhere.

For me I see a lot of things right about this camera. The non telescoping lens likely will cut down the dust issues some GR users suffer - although not me.
The tilt screen a bonus. Startup times are rocket fast. But more than anything this review points out the superb IQ. - The Fujifilm X70 Review

Even if nothing else this camera nudges Ricoh to "up their game" its a bonus. For Me, I like to see options, thank you Fuji.
Now I am not dumping my GR or giving up on it but I may just buy a X70 to give it a try.

Last edited:
I believe Rico said the price was always $699, and that there has been no "price cut"...?
I didn't see that. I was too fascinated with what Rico did to his test X Pro2:
24302071911_d4b6635b16_b.jpg

Now that man is tester.

Back