Fuji Fuji X70

I think you will find that it is a bit of irony from Mr. Fuji... After all, Lennie Kravitz can't be the only one... ;)
Leica_M-P_Special_Edition_35mm_Lenny_Kravitz_top.0.jpg

Well, more information and a change of heart here. The more I see of this camera, it's features and layout, the more I like it. It turns out it DOES have a minimum shutter speed feature in the ISO menu that allows for my magical 1/500 threshold, so it's as good as my current Coolpix A in that regard. And it sounds like it has an similarly easy way to change between auto ISO setups, so no downside there. And I really prefer an aperture ring and an exposure comp dial to the way the Coolpix A handles those settings. And I'd love to have the flip screen as well. From what I've read, the lens may not be quite as sharp as those in the GR and A, but I was very happy shooting for years with Fuji's 18mm f2 on the X-Pro 1, and this one is sharper than that, so I don't think this will bother me. And I'm not a lover of the X-Trans sensor either, but neither am I a hater of it, and for the type of shooting I typically do with my Coolpix and would do with this, it should be a non-issue. Also, I believe the manual focus distance is sticky when you turn the camera off and back on, the lack of which was always a minor peeve of mine with the Coolpix A (and the RX1 for that matter). Finally, I'd really like to have a 21mm converter - that was one of the few thing about the Ricoh GR that I preferred to the Coolpix A, but there were enough other things I liked less about the Ricoh that it wasn't enough. But it's a big plus with the X70.

So I'm gonna give one of these a tryout. I love the Coolpix A and if this doesn't match it in the ways that matter, I'll return it and stay with the Nikon. But if it does, looks like I'll be back in the Fuji camp. As a part-timer for sure, but it'd be nice to have one in-hand again. I can sell my two Coolpix A's and my Canon G7X (a wonderful camera that does everything I'd hoped it would and yet is STILL stays glued to my shelf and never gets used - I just don't bond with pocket zooms it seems, no matter how good they get!) and come out right around even for the X-70, so it shouldn't be any big financial deal either way.

I'll file a report once I've used it a bit...

-Ray

Besides the lesser sharpness one thing in comparison to a GR could be impotant for someone who wants to use a prism viewer on this. The screen can't be turned off.

Besides the lesser sharpness one thing in comparison to a GR could be impotant for someone who wants to use a prism viewer on this. The screen can't be turned off.

Yes, Fuji, please include this in the next FW update. Although when I had the GR for a while I didn't turn off the screen since I felt I needed the screen to see whenever I changed some settings. That's not necessary with the X70 since the important settings are on the dials, always visible.

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger myself, to replace my broken Coolpix A.

-Thomas

Discontinued already? Will we see a X80 with 24mpix, the new processor and Acros? Or would this be to close to X100f?

I'm getting increasingly interested in Fujifilm, but not yet sure what might fit me better... For monochrome I currently use two Merrill, but arrived home this morning with the felling I took about 100 photos and only actually shoot 37 :) They are some slow beasts. Wouldn't mind having something faster but with good capabilities for monochrome.

Discontinued already? Will we see a X80 with 24mpix, the new processor and Acros? Or would this be to close to X100f?
Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere. I know that Sony is discontinuing the 16mp chip that Fuji uses, but I'd be willing to bet Fuji has a pretty healthy backlog of them with all of the camera models they have with that chip. If they do run out, I'd bet they'd just release an X71 with the new 24mp chip or something. Unless the camera has been a total failure, but they've got to have some sunk costs in the development of the body and lens and auxiliary lens, etc that they'd probably want to recoup before killing it...

-Ray

If they put the 24 Mp sensor in a new X70 it would differentiate it from the GR. OTOH, DPR was not as thrilled with the X70 lens so it may not be able to really make use of the higher resolution. Of course, there isn't much data about the lens problems, just a less sharp image at infinity compared to the Ricoh. There's always the possibility that they are not processing the X Trans files as well as they could.

Fujifilm X70 Review

Back