Fuji Fuji XE-2 auto iso settings

I would like the option to exist for me to choose whether the limit is a real limit, or just a suggestion. I would choose for the limit to be hard, but the camera would still fire, of course, it would simply take an underexposed image.

No problem, shoot in S or M modes for hard speed limits. Auto-Exposure modes (PAS) will always choose settings that expose correctly, that's why they are there. M mode is different.

and the fact that the camera blew off the limit was not discussed in the many reviews I read.

Of course not. I would have discussed it as a major bug if Fuji had implemented it in your way, though. :) So would my colleagues. Not correctly exposing in an AE mode is certainly a flaw, but the X-E1 isn't suffering from it, neither is the X100, X100S, X20, X-A1, X-M1, X-E1 and XQ1. And soon the X-E1 and X-Pro1 after the 19DEC firmware update.

As for your option: Write to Fuji, but keep in mind that people are already asking for other Auto-ISO options like Auto-MSS and Auto-MSS with bias factors. They also ask for a simple manual ISO dial, and I really wonder how a simple hardware dial is supposed to accomodate options for hard ISO, Auto-ISO, base ISO, maximum iSO, soft MSS, hard MSS, Auto-MSS, Auto-MMS with several bias factors, hard Auto-MMS, soft Auto-MSS and hard and soft Auto-MMS wich several bias factors. This will end up as convoluted menu, hard to access and difficult to change. Also, shouldn't there be plenty of symbols in the EVF to show all these options? How else am I supposed to know how Auto-ISO is actually configured? This means even more screen clutter.

Of course not. I would have discussed it as a major bug if Fuji had implemented it in your way, though. :) So would my colleagues. Not correctly exposing in an AE mode is certainly a flaw, but the X-E1 isn't suffering from it, neither is the X100, X100S, X20, X-A1, X-M1, X-E1 and XQ1. And soon the X-E1 and X-Pro1 after the 19DEC firmware update.

Rico, I am greatly enjoying our useless discussions on this topic :cool:

So here are two major bugs I found for you to report to Fuji:

Bug Number 1
While indoors in a darkish room, set your camera to a shutter speed of 1/1000 and the lens aperture to A. Now set Auto ISO with a Max Sensitivity of 400. Take a shot of something in a dark area of the room, something where the exposure needs to be long. The camera will open the lens aperture to its widest value, say f/1.4, but shoot at 1/1000s and ISO 800. If your room is dark enough, the shot will be underexposed. According to your logic, because the camera is in an AE mode it should have ignored my selected upper limit on the ISO and blown past it to ISO 1600, 3200 or whatever it needed for correct exposure, but it didn't.

Bug Number 2
While outdoors in daylight, set your lens to its widest aperture (I suggest using one of the f/1.4 lenses) and the shutter speed dial to A. Now set Auto ISO with a Default Sensitivity of 3200. Take a shot of something bright, like a white car or clouds; something where the exposure needs to be short. The camera choose its shortest shutter speed possible and shoots at 1/4000s, at the widest aperture, and ISO 3200. If your subject is bright enough, the shot will be overexposed. According to your logic, because the camera is in an AE mode it should have ignored my selected lower limit on the ISO and blown past it to ISO 200, 400 or whatever it needed for correct exposure, but it didn't.

To me, these are not bugs, this is the camera obeying the limits I give it and working correctly within those limits. Yes, it's in AE mode, but if I limit the range of available values for any of the 3 exposure variables, the camera must obey my imposed limits and perform automatic exposure within those limits. I know you want it to blow those limits when it suits your needs, but then what you want isn't a limit, it's a suggested value, a preferred value, a please-don't-go-beyond-here-if-you-can-avoid-it-but-feel-free-to-if-you-have-to value, but it's not a limit.

Given how the camera handles limits differently when it's a shutter speed limit to when it's an ISO limit, I suggest that Fuji, if they're not going to change the behaviour of the Min. Shutter Speed, rename it to "Preferred Slowest Shutter Speed" or something along those lines that better describes its actual behaviour. It's not a Minimum shutter speed if you can shoot below it; that's basic semantics. At the very least you'll avoid having people like me annoying everyone on the internet because they feel lied to.

Auto-ISO works exactly like it is supposed to, so sadly (or fortunately), there are no bugs for me to report. ISO settings are hard limits, MSS settings are not. Simple as that.

Could Auto-ISO get even more features, like an Auto setting for the MSS (or actually even several Auto settings with bias factors)? Sure, Nikon offers this (but Canon doesn't, neither do most of the other brands). There's always room for improvement, but Fuji didn't implement this when I explained them this option in summer 2012 (quite some time ago), so I do not have high hopes that this addition will now suddenly materialize out of the blue.

Auto-ISO works exactly like it is supposed to, so sadly (or fortunately), there are no bugs for me to report. ISO settings are hard limits, MSS settings are not. Simple as that.

OK Rico, now you have to explain to us why ISO is treated differently than its siblings, shutter speed or aperture, and hence why their limits are also treated differently. I am reminded of Animal Farm, where all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. Is the X-E2 part of the George Orwell Camera System...?

OK Rico, now you have to explain to us why ISO is treated differently than its siblings, shutter speed or aperture, and hence why their limits are also treated differently. I am reminded of Animal Farm, where all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. Is the X-E2 part of the George Orwell Camera System...?

It's obvious: In A and P modes, shutter speed is a variable. ISO is not. It's only variable within the range specified in Auto-ISO. Once the ISO limit is reached, Auto-ISO behaves just like fixed ISO.

It's obvious: In A and P modes, shutter speed is an exposure variable. ISO is not. It's only variable within the range specified in Auto-ISO. Once the ISO limit is reached, Auto-ISO behaves just like fixed ISO.

Use M or S mode if you do not want shutter speed to be an exposure variable. Pretty simple, actually. :)

If you press the shutter button down half way down, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all displayed in the viewfinder. It is important that a photographer pay attention to this information and make exposure adjustments accordingly.

If you press the shutter button down half way down, shutter speed, aperture, and ISO are all displayed in the viewfinder. It is important that a photographer pay attention to this information and make exposure adjustments accordingly. The shutter priority, aperture priority, and Auto ISO features are great, but have limitations. They can't read your mind when those limitations are reached. Know their limitations and you will be a better photographer.

Back