Fuji Fuji XF 10-24 Mk II

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony

This lens should have been WR from the start. I wonder what other improvements Fuji is making to it.
Optically, the 10-24 is darn good - very sharp. Perhaps they'll improve the OIS in addition to adding WR. Honestly, it doesn't need much. Would changes to the OIS allow Fuji to make the lens smaller and lighter?

There are also rumors about an update to the 27mm f.2.8 prime. And yet, nothing about the 18mm f/2.0 pancake - which is the lens most Fuji owners want to see updated.

I rented a 10-24 Mk I a few years ago, and was disappointed in the images. Mine almost all turned out to be not sharp. My disappointment was especially keen since I had traveled to another part of our state to photograph mountains and rivers. The images were not terrible, but not what I had expected, either.

My mark 1 is quite sharp. I wonder if there are sample variations? Maybe the II will be stellar. I rarely use the ultra wide and am thinking of selling mine.
There usually are with all manufacturers. Some of the lenses I recently acquired are far better than versions I have owned previously.

If one is paying hundreds of dollars for a lens - or in this case, around $1,000 at launch - there should be absolute consistency in the quality of the glass.
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, there are variances in mass manufacturing. And the occasional really bad copy gets loose in the wild. Normally those are returned for replacements. But occasionally the person will sell it off thinking the entire line is bad. The flip side of that, is sometimes a better than normal copy/copies get out in the wild. Also, in your case with a rental. Its possible the lens was dropped or mishandled and something was off internally.

Great combo. And, for some, maybe the only two lenses they will ever need. Perhaps add the f/1.4 23mm or 35mm for low light and leave it at that.
Unfortunately, I'm not in that group of people. If I was mainly hiking still, I could see one or both of the lenses I modeled being useful to me. But as primarily a cyclist, no can do. I tried a dedicated photo backpack, and didn't keep it very long. That's why I keep hoping (likely futilely) that Fuji will come out with an X40 with 1" sensor and WR, or a similar style APS-C camera. Likely such a camera only exists in my imagination.

Unfortunately, I'm not in that group of people. If I was mainly hiking still, I could see one or both of the lenses I modeled being useful to me. But as primarily a cyclist, no can do. I tried a dedicated photo backpack, and didn't keep it very long. That's why I keep hoping (likely futilely) that Fuji will come out with an X40 with 1" sensor and WR, or a similar style APS-C camera. Likely such a camera only exists in my imagination.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried any of the Sony RX100 series? The ergs are terrible, but they produce fine images in good light.

I have so tried to love zooms like this. I’m just not a wide angle guy. I had the Pentax 20-35 back in the day, and it never got much use. However, when I got the *ist D the crop factor made it into a 30-52 mme and I loved it. The 16 end of the 16-80 is fine for me.

Back