Fuji Showcase Fuji XF 23mm f/2 WR

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Surprised to not see a thread for this here. The one I rented arrived a short while ago. Testing it on my X-T1. First image was with the camera set on full automatic, the second full manual. Tweaked the contrast a bit, didn't touch the saturation.

DSCF7665.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF7667.JPG

How does it feel to use? Smallish and snappy-quick focus is what I usually hear.
That sounds about right, Kyle. I like the size and weight. The aperture and focus rings are nicely damped, and stay put without being stiff. The only issue is that the X-T1 with this lens will not fit in the tiny Lowepro pouch I kept strapped to my handlebars to carry the X30. Have to think of another way to carry it on my bike. Probably will just use a strap slung around my shoulder. Still too early to decide, but I'm torn between this lens and the 18mm f/2. If the 18mm was WR, it would be a no-brainer for me.

3/18/17. Laurel Creek, along Beckwith Road in Fayette County, WV. Lots of Rhododendron tunneling and rock scrambling. I'm pleased with the IQ, but there were times I found myself wishing the lens was a bit wider.

DSCF7678a.JPG

DSCF7680a.JPG

DSCF7681a.JPG

DSCF7708a.JPG

A beautiful showcase, thank you. I'm pretty happy with my zooms, but this lens is top of my list for my probable first prime and these shots pretty much have me convinced. Hoping for an income tax refund!

Yep those are gorgeous. Also sounds like my kind of day.
Thanks Kyle. It was quite a morning. Laurel Creek makes a wild run from the canyon rim to the bottom of the New River Gorge, dropping 500' or so its last 1.5 miles. Makes for both stunning photos and adventurous footing. I've climbed down into the canyon during freezing rain, with everything covered in clear ice . . . that was dicey! There are no trails . . . those of us who photograph Laurel Creek just pick our best spots to scramble down to the creek. To get all of the photos I got Saturday required several descents and ascents over a stretch of 1.25 miles. I always pick spots where there are trees I can use to zig-zag down the slopes . . . and hope the roots hold!!

The rented 23mm WR goes back to the owner tomorrow. I was pleased with its handling and IQ. If it was wider, I could see myself having it as an only lens for my X-T1. The size is certainly convenient. The Tokina 17mm/3.5 I've been carrying on the X-T1 is the same size and about 40g heavier than the XF 16mm/1.4, but is of course 3 stops slower - and over $800 less expensive. It is my hope that Fuji does come out with an 18mm f/2 WR. Such a lens would live on my X-T1.

Back