Fuji Fuji XF 27 MkII

Last edited:
Speaking only for myself, I'm not too concerned with the noise. Pentax screw-drive does the cha-cha-cha. :D

Depending upon finances, purchase of the 27mkII might be pushed back a few months.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not too concerned with the noise. Pentax screw-drive does the cha-cha-cha. :D

Depending upon finances, purchase of the 27mkII might be pushed back a few months.
Oh yes, my old Minolta A-mount lenses did a lot of grinding and buzzing too.

I had no real issues with the image quality of the 27, I mostly wasn't so fond of the focal length.

Fast forward a few months, is anyone here actually using the XF 27 WR? Is it really noisy, or is it the usual internet hysteria? I may be in line to get a black & silver X-T2, and if the deal works out, this lens is a possibility.

If you still need an answer, I might be able to give an impression next week. Supposedly in stock, so I ordered one from Best Buy. Initial delivery estimate is Thursday next week.

Fast forward a few months, is anyone here actually using the XF 27 WR? Is it really noisy, or is it the usual internet hysteria? I may be in line to get a black & silver X-T2, and if the deal works out, this lens is a possibility.

Arrived today. IMHO, to my ears, and factor into this that I never had heartburn with cha-cha-cha on screw-drive AF lenses.

First impression - focus noise seems to be similar in volume to the Pentax Limiteds (screw drive) I had. Sound is more of an electronic buzz or zip than a whir. Noticeable in a quiet apartment. Not as much on the landing with some outside noise.

Once using the thing out and about I can update my impression, I anticipate that street and other daily noise will render the noise a non-issue.

Took the camera and 27 out for part of my walk today. I honestly didn't notice focus noise outside with the other daytime noises.

One thing I did notice inside - when shooting near MFD and being a bit too close to the subject the lens is a little noisier. When moving around and focusing on things at varying distances around the apartment, a lot of the small adjustments don't make much noise to my ears.

It is noisier than the other types of Fuji AF. No doubt about that. Now, whether or not the additional noise bothers you...

My big thing will be whether or not I enjoy the combination of size/ weight/ IQ. This makes a package a little larger than the X100F, with a FOV I find slightly more natural than a 50mm eq, and I get IBIS. Really hoping this combo ends up working well for me.

Once I get some images that aren't pure dreck, I'll post one or three.

Spent a little time with the camera today. Mundane snaps of the old Tacoma (2002).

Hasn't been driven much since 2014 when I got the Subaru, so it only has about 155000 miles. It has been in the Texas, Arizona and Nevada sun since I picked it up Dec 2002 and the paint is pretty much trashed. It survived a deer strike, panels are still slightly off. Leading edge of the hood has 100+ spots where stones have chipped the paint, same on some of the other front trim. Paint is peeling off in multiple spots around the truck. Black trim coating is peeling off. Front parking lights have been replaced at least 5 times due to impact damage from road debris. It's on its third set of headlights due to crazing. Front turn signals have been replaced at least twice. Windshield is sandblasted to the point I'll be replacing it this year or next due to refractive glare in bright light. Springs have been trashed and replaced once already, front ones feel like they need it again. Needs shocks again. It spent so much time off highway during my time in Nevada the steering components were trashed and it felt like driving a 30 y/o gravel truck down the road. Entire steering system from the wheels to the steering column had to be replaced to bring steering back to normal. Seats need a recovering, I cannot find seat covers that will fit the aftermarket seats I had installed to support my bad back. All the original rubber items are starting to come apart so I have to start ordering and replacing door and window seals, vacuum and fuel lines, etc... I wish I had kept the camper shell.

Despite all that, and a lack of ABS, I like my little truck. Likely keeping it and selling the Subaru. :coffee-79:

The 27 seems to be working fine. Not noticing any problems. For me, focusing noise isn't an issue for what I'm going to be using it for. It's not a 90/2, but my copy looks like a keeper. Just using the camera horizon thingy, verticals across the frame seem to be well controlled. I did not do a max DoF shot to check corner sharpness, and I doubt I'll do a brick wall test. With the images I have shot, corners do not look out of character for the image.

RAF using OOC settings, no level or perspective adjustments, spot metering for the bright whites, resized for web.
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Same RAF, same settings as above except exposure adjusted to bring highlights to right edge of histogram.
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back