Fuji Fuji XP-90 waterproof camera images

So. The catch-22 is that I now have the camera, but a) I am no longer on a beach b) it's tending into Autumn now, so conditions are not optimal for this sort of camera. That said, I took it with me when I walked the dog yesterday. Here's some results and thoughts.

1. SOOC, macro engaged
Test 1.jpg

Good exposure and colours but aggressive noise reduction apparent here.

2. SOOC, macro engaged
Test 2.jpg

Really clear that the NR is smashing the detail.

Here's the same shot with a bit of post processing:
Test 2a.jpg

Levels tweaked, with black and white point set, contrast boosted.

3. SOOC
Test 3.jpg

4. Same shot, 100% crop:
Test 3 crop.jpg

...and for comparison, a 100% crop of the same subject shot using my X-Pro2 and Fujinon 60mm:
XPro2 60mm 10 crop.jpg

To be clear, there is little to no control over the image on the XP 90 - you can't adjust sharpness, contrast, noise, highlight or shadow detail, saturation or anything else; all you can do is set file size and compression, and "film type". All these shots were in Program mode - the only one that offers any form of control. It all confirms what I suspected. This is a consumer level camera that has one real use - it's a robust take-anywhere, good light, holiday camera. It aggressively stomps on noise, and smears the hell out of fine detail as a result - look at the cobwebs, and at the psychedelic grass in the background in the 100% crop of the statue. All that said, it is what it is, and as the "emptor" I'm happy that I have "caveated" realistically in buying what is, when all is said and done, a cheap camera for a specific purpose. I've now taken the battery out and put it in "deep store" until next year, when it should again come into it's element.

Bill,

I'm guessing here, but if your X-Pro2 and Fujinon 60mm did NOT out-perform the XP90 on all counts, I surmise that you would be having a conversation -- based on sincerity and fair play, heavy on the sincerity -- with your local Fuji dealer and/or Fuji corporate as well.

As Dale neatly put it: "Well, I wouldn't be inclined to judge the XP90 the same as a mid-priced Nikon or Leica . . . "

Still, I take your point. But since I suffer from astonishingly low standards for image quality, I'm pleased with how well the XP90 does, considering all the bad things reviewers normally say about rugged cameras as a class.

The one thing that does bug me is the lack of a viewfinder. When the sun hits the rear screen full on, it plays hob with composing a shot. I'm astonished that one of the manufacturers hasn't introduced a rugged camera with an OVF or EVF.

Cheers, Jock

Jock, you are of course right about the relative performance. I merely put up the shots from the X-Pro2 as a datum point for comparison. The XP90 is what it is, and no more. Bear in mind that I won't be standing in the ocean with my X-Pro, weather-resistant though it is...

As to rear screen glare, are you aware of Hoodman loupes? If it is an issue to you they might be worthy of consideration.

#1 is pretty good but #2 is pretty smeary. Different lighting?

The top one was on the east side of the reservoir, illuminated by the setting sun. F/3.9, 1/210 sec, iso 100, 5mm. straightened to fix the horizon, but otherwise SOOC.

The bottom one was on the west side in the shadow of the trees, f/4.7, 1/50 sec, iso 400, 12mm, SOOC.

Both shot one-handed while hanging on to kayak paddle with other hand.

Here are both run through Perfect Effects 8 sharpener:

XP90 Dunham reservoir calm evning 014-001 copy.jpg

XP90 Dunham reservoir calm evning 026 copy.jpg

Cheers, Jock

#1 is pretty good but #2 is pretty smeary. Different lighting?

Dale,

Additional: a lot has to do with viewing scale/size. I originally loaded these pix onto my 13-inch ultra book, and at that size, each has a certain feel: approaching autumn vs. dismal swamp.

Recently, however, I acquired a 32-inch monitor for my main desktop computer. View on the big screen, the bottom one is, well, yikes!

Still, for a small print (4 x 6, say), either one would be acceptable for my low standards.

Cheers, Jock

Today a young mockingbird landed on a branch a few feet away, and the little Fuji XP90 was handy. XP90 image quality is comparable to an iPhone in most cases, but the Fuji has an optical zoom....

Fuji XP90, f8.0, 1/300 sec. handheld, ISO 100.
Mockingbird02_s.jpg

Bike ride along the Hudson River today.

This one, from the boat club at Albany, has a kind Robert-Downey-Sherlock-Holmes feel to it, and, yes, it IS a color photograph.

XP90 Hudson river bike ride 002.JPG

And some color from along the river banks:

XP90 Hudson river bike ride 010.JPG

XP90 Hudson river bike ride 012.JPG

XP90 Hudson river bike ride 014.JPG

Cheers, Jock

Back