Fuji Fuji XProx and XEx not for wildlife photography?

Just wondering, the Fuji cameras should be able to take fantastic pics of wildlife/birds but there are no long tele or zoom lenses available. Would it be because the rangefinder type cameras are not traditionally used for those kinds of photography? I am a m43 user and have the 100-300 zoom for potentially taking such pics when I have the chance. The Fuji X cameras have fascinated me but I've been holding off purchasing one due to the lack of a long tele. Perhaps I should just just have two systems, the m43 and Fuji but that would call for quite an investment.

It might not be the investment you think - at least not going forward. You already have a micro four-thirds camera and the 100-300. How many more lenses do you have? I'm guessing a wide-to-normal zoom at the very least. And that's fine. Any high-end primes that you could sell to help fund the Fuji? If you keep your micro four-thirds kit to a minimum, you can probably run two systems. Many people do:

https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?291-Multi-system-user-and-Loving-it

And, yes, it's true that rangerfinders haven't traditionally been used for wildlife - at least of the of the type you'd need a long telephoto lens for. But there's nothing to prevent Fuji from bringing out such an X-mount lens.

Contax and Leica both offered devices for fitting long-focus lenses to rangefinder cameras before SLRs dominated as the pro workhorse camera of choice. Google "Visoflex" and you will see what I mean. The longest lens I have for my X-E1 is 200mm (300 equivalent) and I have every intention of trying it for sports and wildlife.

Sent from another Galaxy

$ is really not the issue. It's the thought of having of lug around two different systems every time. Perhaps I should just go ahead an order an X100s. I've used an X100 before and was impressed with the pic quality but not with the slow focussing and long time it took to write the image onto the sd card. This problem is solved with the X100s so perhaps that is what I should get to complement my m34 kit.

It might not be the investment you think - at least not going forward. You already have a micro four-thirds camera and the 100-300. How many more lenses do you have? I'm guessing a wide-to-normal zoom at the very least. And that's fine. Any high-end primes that you could sell to help fund the Fuji? If you keep your micro four-thirds kit to a minimum, you can probably run two systems. Many people do:

https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?291-Multi-system-user-and-Loving-it

And, yes, it's true that rangerfinders haven't traditionally been used for wildlife - at least of the of the type you'd need a long telephoto lens for. But there's nothing to prevent Fuji from bringing out such an X-mount lens.

I guess with the availability of aftermarket adapters, we can use any long tele along with the XPro or XE1.

Contax and Leica both offered devices for fitting long-focus lenses to rangefinder cameras before SLRs dominated as the pro workhorse camera of choice. Google "Visoflex" and you will see what I mean. The longest lens I have for my X-E1 is 200mm (300 equivalent) and I have every intention of trying it for sports and wildlife.

Sent from another Galaxy

There is a blog or post floating around the net of an xe1 or xpro used for wildlife bird shooting. The results are great. The photographer said he preferred the shots over the nikon.

I couldn't imagine it would be better than using a dslr, but you could adapt a lena or wait for the 55-200 and get great results if you nail the focus.

Back