Fuji XT1 Nightscapes (from an EM5 convert)

gidferrer

Regular
First of all let me introduce myself. Im Gid Ferrer from Manila, Philippines. I have used a Nikon system since 2007 but eventually shifted to a MFT system last 2012. I have been using an OMD for almost 2 years when I spoke with some good friends Spam Jalandoni and Randall Cipriano (Fuji X Ambassador of the Phils) about the Fuji X system. I was skeptic at the time because the EM5 was a perfect camera for me. Small, lightweight, IBIS, small filters, small tripod etc etc... Then came photoworld. I went to play with theXT1 for 2 hours and it was love at first sight. 3 weeks pass and last monday I had my XT1 with me. A scheduled trip last tues gave way to a hands-on experience for 4 nights. I walled 2 hours everynight in Hong Kong, going up every overpass to get those lightstreaks as we call it. I even went to some observation decks to get a glimpse of the HK skyline from the top.

I would like to share with you the experience that I never had with my EM5. All images here are from RAW converted with ACR, slight editing was made but with Noise Reduction Off (both for high ISO and long exposure), I had to turn these on with the EM5 and may probably use a NR editing software after.

Lets get to it.

HAPPY VALLEY
- A horse race track smack in the middle of the Hong Kong skyline, I took this shot on an observation deck of Central Plaza. I was quite surprised with the amount of detail produced here because I was shooting through 2 inch glass. Reflection was also a headache since it was already dark outside. Had to improvise by using a scarf.
13005595873_bd506241f0_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ZONE50
-An image focused on the Central District of Hong Kong. This image includes the famous Bank of China (top left) and the IFC (right peeking). This probably is my fave on this set.
13011312855_2e96e244be_o.jpg

DOUBLE VISION
-A tram and a bus was just in time for me to get this image with both of them on it. Image taken at Central Hong Kong. XT1 / Samyang 8mm fish eye
13025031925_e5c4ef583e_o.jpg

Will post more in a little while.

Regards,
Gid

Hi Gid - welcome...

These are really nice, but at least two of the three are tripod shots, in which case m43 would do just as well, no? Yeah, at high ISO there's a difference - not a big one but a difference. And there are qualitative differences that could lead one to prefer either. But these are tripod shots taken at base ISO, no? And for that, even a small sensor compact will usually do really well. And m43 will do the same, also brilliantly. Is it just the color signature you prefer? Fuji does have really nice and arguably unique colors...

Regardless, I love the work. But I'm not sure about the point you're making regarding Fuji vs m43 with these shots?

-Ray

Hi Gid - welcome...

These are really nice, but at least two of the three are tripod shots, in which case m43 would do just as well, no? Yeah, at high ISO there's a difference - not a big one but a difference. And there are qualitative differences that could lead one to prefer either. But these are tripod shots taken at base ISO, no? And for that, even a small sensor compact will usually do really well. And m43 will do the same, also brilliantly. Is it just the color signature you prefer? Fuji does have really nice and arguably unique colors...

Regardless, I love the work. But I'm not sure about the point you're making regarding Fuji vs m43 with these shots?

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Have you tried using a MFT system? All are taken with a tripod. And NO im not making a VS thread here. Please read carefully because im just saying my side of the story. Where i have been, what gear i have used. IMHO no, my EM5 didnt produce these kind of images. If it did, I wouldnt have sold the system entirely. If u havent tried a MFT then please feel free to do so. Theres a bit of big difference for me in terms of IQ.

Hi Ray,

Have you tried using a MFT system? All are taken with a tripod. And NO im not making a VS thread here. Please read carefully because im just saying my side of the story. Where i have been, what gear i have used. IMHO no, my EM5 didnt produce these kind of images. If it did, I wouldnt have sold the system entirely. If u havent tried a MFT then please feel free to do so. Theres a bit of big difference for me in terms of IQ.

Yeah, I've been shooting both m43 and Fuji for years. I've had m43 bodies with both the old 12mp sensors and the newer (and much better) 16mp. I had an EM5 and currently have an EM1. I've had Fujis starting with the X100 and X-Pro 1 and XE1 and now have the XT1. And I think there are qualitative differences in IQ but I really don't think there's more than a minimal difference in terms of low light capability. Although Fujis newer faster lenses are creating some gap currently. But that's all regarding shooting handheld - shooting with a tripod at base ISO is the great equalizer even between systems with vastly different IQ, which I don't think these are.

Colors are different, aspect ratio is different. I've done plenty of low light shooting with both and love both systems for somewhat different uses. I tend to prefer Fuji for shooting with primes and m43 for shooting with zooms and longer lenses, partly because of the size advantage and partially because I prefer the 3:2 aspect ratio for most of the types of shooting I do with primes.

I love your shots and I'm glad you're posting them here. But I guess I just disagree with you on the differences between the two systems, which I think are pretty minimal and mostly qualitative in nature, rather than measurable.

But no matter. We all use what we like - I just happen to like both a lot, equally but somewhat differently! (y)

-Ray

Yeah, I've been shooting both m43 and Fuji for years. I've had m43 bodies with both the old 12mp sensors and the newer (and much better) 16mp. I had an EM5 and currently have an EM1. I've had Fujis starting with the X100 and X-Pro 1 and XE1 and now have the XT1. And I think there are qualitative differences in IQ but I really don't think there's more than a minimal difference in terms of low light capability. Although Fujis newer faster lenses are creating some gap currently. But that's all regarding shooting handheld - shooting with a tripod at base ISO is the great equalizer even between systems with vastly different IQ, which I don't think these are.

Colors are different, aspect ratio is different. I've done plenty of low light shooting with both and love both systems for somewhat different uses. I tend to prefer Fuji for shooting with primes and m43 for shooting with zooms and longer lenses, partly because of the size advantage and partially because I prefer the 3:2 aspect ratio for most of the types of shooting I do with primes.

I love your shots and I'm glad you're posting them here. But I guess I just disagree with you on the differences between the two systems, which I think are pretty minimal and mostly qualitative in nature, rather than measurable.

But no matter. We all use what we like - I just happen to like both a lot, equally but somewhat differently! (y)

-Ray

Hi Ray,

Yeah I guess its a matter of personal choice and such. Im not blasting the MFT system here. Its a wonderful system, but for me, right now, its the X system. As I see it, yes theres a difference in IQ. Anyways, we are here for one reason and thats shooting. Whatever tool it maybe, its all the same.

Cheers!
Gid

Sharing some more images...

Details of this XT1 plus the 14mm is stellar. This first photo says it all.

BANK OF CHINA TOWER
13025069873_205cfa4c30_o.jpg

HSBC Tower (Central)

- The HSBC head office in Hong Kong. The metallic structure stands out at night with its white, red and blue light show.
13031322524_b7960cbb5d_o.jpg

HAZED UP
13027102593_0db99c1076_o.jpg

more to come...

BRIDGEWAY VIEW

- A shot on top of this walkway. It was very fortunate that the composition itself included the bridge and the scenic background of Central Hong Kong.
13052063213_940f4db84d_o.jpg

SIDEWINDER

- Tried to get close to the pillars to get that sense of depth. The light streak came from an incoming bus that resulted in an otherwise flat image if it were only car lights.
13053249134_74b08bf2e2_o.jpg

Hi, fellow nightscape enthusiatst here. Like your work very much and the processing gives it that "Is that a photo or drawing or computer generated image" feel which makes you look deeper still into the shots. Look forward to seeing more.

Pete

Some images for tonight. Pardon me for posting a lot of images. Cant get enough of it. :)

BUSY STREETS

- A shot including the Bank of China and the colorful HSBC. Still taken on a bridgeway in the Central District where the skyline is just infront of you. A photographers paradise.
13057625815_c5a6d7c345_o.jpg

VERTIGO

- Somehow I feel dizzy when I look at this image. I shot this on a staircase just beside this flyover. Only in Hong Kong. Haha!
13056485635_16601512a8_o.jpg

CURVATURE

- Took this shot inside a walkway. I used the beams as framing for this fish eye shot.
13056318763_6a9bdf39b5_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing. To be continued... :)

Thank you guys... Hehe. Means alot.

MIDNIGHT TRAIN

- A bus was passing by just in time for me to get its lightrails against the IFC Tower. Lower left hand is a semi selfie.
13075439675_bc4f9d7101_o.jpg

Thank you guys... Hehe. Means alot.

MIDNIGHT TRAIN

- A bus was passing by just in time for me to get its lightrails against the IFC Tower. Lower left hand is a semi selfie.
13075439675_bc4f9d7101_o.jpg

Wonderful shots all of them, but this one somehow seems phallic. LOL! Just maybe me and my dirty mind. :D

Back