Film Fujica Super-6

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Rather than continue discussion about my "new" camera in the "What did you buy ..." thread, I'm starting this one. I posted B&W images of the camera earlier; here it is in living color:

100_2555.JPG

100_2556.JPG

I tested the Fujica a few times today, including one unintentional double exposure when I forgot to advance the film after a frame. Unfortunately, that little tab on the shutter actuator must have been bent back and forth a few times through the decades, because the thin metal broke off, leaving a small stub sticking out. I can still trigger the shutter, but it is a bit unwieldy. Shutter speeds all seem accurate, though. If the images from this roll turn out satisfactorily, I'll initiate some inquiries on having a CLA done and the shutter switch repaired. It would all depend on the cost of a CLA before I'd decide to proceed; too much, and I'll just use it as it is, or keep it on display.

I finished my first roll yesterday, 12 exposures of Ilford HP5. My photos may turn out to be rubbish, as it seems the shutter started sticking about 1/2 way through the roll. Who knows what I'll get back. We'll see.

Unfortunately, I'm uncertain if certo6 still repairs folders. I've tried to contact him through his eBay profile and the e-mail link on his web page. No reply from the eBay account (which is showing active auctions), and the e-mail link on his web page was bounced back as undeliverable. Drat.

@tonyturley If we have two (or three, have to check that) of those great old repair guys here in our little country of Switzerland, it's simply not feasible that there should be only a single one in the States. Jurgen is known to be a bit hard to reach, but it's also possible he's stopped taking on work (by all accounts, he's a pretty old guy by now). I've actually stumbled over someone else who does repairs when searching for information about shutters - I'll try to dig up the guy again, I think he was located in the U.S. ...

EDIT 1: Here you go: Repair Services « SKGrimes - it's not ideal, but they may be able to help you. I'll keep looking ...

EDIT 2: It pays to keep digging - found this link on the site mentioned above: F L U T O T ' S    Services - this sounds promising.

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to look up that information, Matt. The photo below shows what the shutter actuator looks like now. That little tab sticking out is the only way to trip the shutter, and the shutter is sticking intermittently. I'm considering just consigning the camera to the shelf as a display piece.

Super Fujica-6.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to look up that information, Matt. The photo below shows what the shutter actuator looks like now. That little tab sticking out is the only way to trip the shutter, and the shutter is sticking intermittently. I'm considering just consigning the camera to the shelf as a display piece.

View attachment 1552
I see what you mean :/ It's hard to tell if it's fixable at all. Pity ... I would take it to one of my repair guys just to make sure, but I have the luxury of doing that, no further cost involved. I hope you don't feel put off ...

M.

I see what you mean :/ It's hard to tell if it's fixable at all. Pity ... I would take it to one of my repair guys just to make sure, but I have the luxury of doing that, no further cost involved. I hope you don't feel put off ...

M.
No, not at all, Matt. The seller had disclosed that there was a problem with the shutter trigger, so I knew I was taking a risk. It's a pity, because I like the camera, and the rest of it is in fantastic shape. I found that if I set the switch to "X" instead of "M", the shutter doesn't stick at all. Odd, that. I'm just hesitant to put any more $$$ into the camera, because the cost of repairs could put the total cost of the camera over that of a more modern Fuji MF camera. I just got notice that my first roll from the camera has entered production at the lab. If the images turn out to be acceptable, I'll just keep using the camera as it is.

My first roll of Ilford HP5 Plus 400 from the Fujica has been developed, and the results exceeded my hopes. Beyond the broken shutter tab, this camera is exceptionally good. The lens is sharp . . . very sharp. Here's the first image I took with the camera, on a dim evening when I had to drop the shutter speed all the way to 1/30. No problem!

07540012.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My first roll of Ilford HP5 Plus 400 from the Fujica has been developed, and the results exceeded my hopes. Beyond the broken shutter tab, this camera is exceptionally good. The lens is sharp . . . very sharp. Here's the first image I took with the camera, on a dim evening when I had to drop the shutter speed all the way to 1/30. No problem!

View attachment 1555
Fantastic performance in terms of sharpness, and also very pleasing contrast (which in part is due to the HP5+, no doubt).

I don't want to make things more difficult for you in any way, but I'd not hesitate to get the camera back in perfect working order after the images you've shown us so far ...

M.

Fantastic performance in terms of sharpness, and also very pleasing contrast (which in part is due to the HP5+, no doubt).

I don't want to make things more difficult for you in any way, but I'd not hesitate to get the camera back in perfect working order after the images you've shown us so far ...

M.
Agreed, Matt. I'm working on finding the right service outlet.

Well, so far no success. I never heard back from Jurgen, one promising prospect (SK Grimes) said they only work on Copal shutters, and a third with a thriving repair business said he has a 15-20 week backlog! I sent out an inquiry to Flutot's this morning. We shall see.

Well, so far no success. I never heard back from Jurgen, one promising prospect (SK Grimes) said they only work on Copal shutters, and a third with a thriving repair business said he has a 15-20 week backlog! I sent out an inquiry to Flutot's this morning. We shall see.
Ouch - good luck! On the other hand, the backlog could be worse - if it's either a little wait or writing off the camera completely, I'd definitely choose the former. I'll most probably not see my favourite Pentacon Six again before autumn - but it'll be as good as new (better than new, in fact - film plane correction!) once I get it back ... But of course, quicker's always preferrable if available.

M.

At this point it looks like I'm going to have to use the camera as-is. It is doable, just a bit cumbersome. My repair inquiries have been fruitless. I currently have 2 other cameras loaded with film, so the Fujica is resting on a shelf. That lens is too good to leave it dormant too long, though.

I have officially retired the Fujica Super-6 to a place of honor on my display shelf. I captured the last frame with it this morning at sunrise. With the shutter actuator broken, I've been unable to find anyone to repair it, and the shutter has also begun to stick more. The perils of buying a 60 year old camera. Pity, as the output from this camera is superb. I'm hoping the Fuji GS645S will be a suitable replacement, as I do like medium format film.

Back