Fuji Fujifilm Announces XF 56mm F1.2 R Lens and Adds Five Lenses to 2014 Roadmap

Amin Sabet

Administrator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2010
Link: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r/

Fujifilm.com said:
A fast F1.2 lens with a focal length of 85mm* that delivers beautiful background bokeh so it's ideal for portraiture. The lens' incredible resolving power is thanks to a new optical design featuring 11 elements in 8 groups. Two ED (extra-low dispersion) elements and one double-sided aspherical element are used to control spherical and chromatic aberrations, while a further four of the elements feature convex surfaces to ensure excellent light coverage, even when shooting wide open.
B&H pre-order: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021630-REG/fujifilm_xf_56mm_f_1_2_r.html/BI/1848/KBID/2491

In addition, Fuji has added 5 more lenses to their 2014 roadmap:

• XF16-55mmF2.8 R OIS standard zoom lens
  • XF50-140mmF2.8 R OIS tele-photo zoom
  • XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R OIS zoom lens
  • Super telephoto zoom lens (late 2014/early 2015)
  • Fast wide angle prime lens

flysurfer

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2011
I think it's a nice start. Of course, this roadmap is not complete (the last one wasn't, either), so there will be a few surprises along the way.

jloden

All-Pro
Jun 30, 2012
Jay
Impressive! I think Fuji is really tuned in on building out this roadmap exactly as needed to make this a solid system. Start out with a solid set of key primes and faster-than-normal zooms, flesh it out with a few extra XC lenses, and then come in the next year with the fast constant-aperture zooms and some speciality lenses.

ajamils

Regular
Sep 30, 2013
I think it's a nice start. Of course, this roadmap is not complete (the last one wasn't, either), so there will be a few surprises along the way.
Do you know something that we don't ? :confused:

Just tell me that there a good telephoto (75-300 or similar) coming soon and I will be happy :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2

ajamils

Regular
Sep 30, 2013
I'm excited about the 18-135. I can take an IQ hit for when I just want one lens to do it all.
I'm definitely looking forward to that lens as well. Hopefully, the IQ is not too compromised.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2

Ray Sachs

Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Not too far from Philly
you should be able to figure it out...
Still no portrait length prime to compete with the Oly 75mm. An 85-90mm equivalent just doesn't cut it for me - I'd really like something in the 120-150 range. The 50-140 f2.8 looks like it would handle some of that, but I'd much rather have something like an 85 or 100 at f 1.8 or even f2.0. That extra stop when shooting low light candids can really matter. The lack of such a lens on the current roadmap is a big part of what chased me away from Fuji in the first place and back to m43. Surprised to see it's still missing...

-Ray

jloden

All-Pro
Jun 30, 2012
Jay
Still no portrait length prime to compete with the Oly 75mm. An 85-90mm equivalent just doesn't cut it for me - I'd really like something in the 120-150 range. The 50-140 f2.8 looks like it would handle some of that, but I'd much rather have something like an 85 or 100 at f 1.8 or even f2.0. That extra stop when shooting low light candids can really matter. The lack of such a lens on the current roadmap is a big part of what chased me away from Fuji in the first place and back to m43. Surprised to see it's still missing...
Yeah I've said before something like a 135mm f/2 would be a great addition to the Fuji lineup.

Not a deal breaker for me by any means, and personally the 56mm is more appealing to me first priority-wise. But eventually a longish fast prime would be awesome.

Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky

-Ray
The Rokinon 85 1.4 is now available.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom