Fuji Fujifilm Finepix X100 - Pricing, Availability and general OMG

I was extremely fortunate to be sitting at my 'puter when I received the notice from B&H. Now maybe I don't have to buy an iPhone, since I've gotten that notification.:tongue:

Message from ephotozine.com

Fujifilm's Taiwa-Cho factory, 20 miles from Sendai city, has been affected by the earthquake and tsunami in Northern Japan. None of the workers at the Taiwa-Cho factory are reported to be injured but a temporarily halt in production of the FinePix X100 has occurred due to the factory building getting damaged. As a result, Fujifilm say they are "expecting a delay to market" for the X100.

In a statement Fujifilm said: "Fujifilm is currently considering all possible options to minimise the delay and the disappointment for the many consumers who have given the X100 such an incredible reception."

The rest of Fujifilm’s range has been unaffected, due to manufacturing being based outside the region.

Fujifilm extend their thoughts and condolences to everyone affected by these terrible events in Japan.

ePHOTOzine's Joshua Waller got his hands on the Fujifilm FinePix X100 at the Focus on Imaging show. Click the link to view our hands-on look at the: Fujifilm FinePix X100.

my friend in australia just received his X100! Australia only received a partial first shipment for numerous obvious reasons, shops that sold at full RRP (AU$1300) seem to have gotten priority over the cheaper shops (AU$1100). unfortunately i belong in the latter category :(

Thanks fer the update and don't sweat the $1100 - $1300AU price....
On US Ebay they are starting to pop up at around $1700.00 with 4 days to go.... Dzone is starting to list..... I wish I had ordered 10 and get delivery of all....
fast selling item in a week or so....

Everyone that ordered from B&H the other day received an email saying:
Dear Valued Customer:

B&H received the following note regarding availability of the Fujifilm FinePix X100 today from Fujifilm USA. We regret any inconvenience this may cause. We are mindful, though, of Japan's human tragedy, which is ongoing and will remain so for some time. Lives are lost and families are homeless on a scale which seems, from news reports, as great or greater than any natural disaster in memory.

FUJIFILM FinePix X100 Statement
March 16, 2011
Due to the March 11th earthquake that affected northeast Japan, the factory responsible for production of the new Fujifilm FinePix X100 digital camera has been temporarily shut down due to safety concerns. FUJIFILM is currently assessing the factory conditions as well as accessibility via domestic logistics and working to determine the potential impact on the X100 market availability and initially scheduled release dates. FUJIFILM is making every effort to quickly gather the information needed to provide an accurate update to our retail partners and consumers. FUJIFILM appreciates your patience and will provide a formal update as soon as possible.

We understand that under the circumstances you may wish to consider canceling your order; if you do, a full refund will be issued. If you would like to cancel your order, please reply to this message with your instruction to cancel.

B&H Photo regrets this inconvenience and appreciates your patronage and understanding.

Sincerely,
B&H Photo-Video, and Pro-Audio

Thank you, Lisa. I received this email, as well.

For the sake of Fujifilm and its employees, and Japan as a whole, I hope that they will be able to get back up and running wherever they can soon. I'm sure we all feel the same way with regards to the country's wellbeing.

This is pure speculation but I thought a small shipment was already on the way to the US (before the earthquake) and that's why B&H opened up the pre-orders for a short time on Tuesday morning and shut it down so quickly - presumably because they were only going to sell about as many as they understood they had on the way. Which would mean that Fuji's announcement SHOULDN'T affect those units. But the fact that B&H apparently sent the message out to people who had pre-ordered during that short window certainly throws that theory open, if not out the window.

None of which matters at ALL relative to the suffering of the people of Japan. But some clarity on that would be nice for those who put their money down already...

I guess it'll all be clear soon enough. And some hopefully good news out of Japan tonight finally, after so much bad news...

-Ray

I missed the last one in a store nearby by a few minutes accordin to the shop assistant :'( lol nevermind :)

Same thoughts as BB and Ray- safety and welfare of everyone in Japan comes first over cameras - I'm praying there won't be a nuclear incident and God bless those still in the stations, they're showing amazing courage.

Richard, thanks for the link to Miserere's blog, I enjoyed it. Ian Wilkinson's naturally written review just adds to my wanting to get my X100 sooner rather than later. Hoping I make the cut!

Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on Australia's first batch (which was reduced from 200 to 30). 2 of my friends have received theirs though, and one of them has put it straight onto eBay as there were a few too many quirks for him to handle...

Back