Fuji Fujifilm Finepix X100 - Pricing, Availability and general OMG

Ray, you are right that the hype should not be the reason not to buy the camera. But it is the hype, because of which I thought the matter over more thoroughly than I maybe would have done otherwise. But the problem with just one focal length is still there. I would be very happy with a combination of two focal lengths like 20mm and 50mm or 28mm and 85mm or even 50mm and 135mm. The focal length 35mm is a good compromise for many people, but if I have only my E-P1 with the 17mm with me, most times the lens is either not wide enough or I crop.

But there are two further reasons. Look at the aperture ring. It allows only full stops. The dial for shutter times allows only full stops, too, which is the expected behavior. If one wants to expose manually, one has to compensate this design error by changing the ISO, unless the ISO can only be set to full stops, too. Another problem is, that I use my left eye for framing and the position of the viewfinder is perfect for right eyed photographers, but bad for people like me.

However, this camera serves several modern photographic myths and that may be the reason for appealing attraction to so many (including me). This camera awakens associations with the work of photographers like Henri Cartier-Bresson. Some people do their best to implant the thought, that photographing with this type of camera makes you a street photographer, in as many heads as possible (they say, that a rangefinder camera makes one invisible). But this is a myth. I bet, that dressing and behaving like a tourist and using a typical tourist's camera makes you much more stealthy (just to mention one possible technique).

BTW, André Kertész used a camera by Olympus with zoom lenses.

Look at the aperture ring. It allows only full stops. The dial for shutter times allows only full stops, too, which is the expected behavior. If one wants to expose manually, one has to compensate this design error by changing the ISO, unless the ISO can only be set to full stops, too.

I would say it is a design compromise rather than a design error. You can still go up or down a third of a stop for either shutter or aperture by using the black command lever at the top right. It's not as easy as having third- or half-stop increments in the shutter dial/aperture ring themselves, but don't you think that would make it a bit harder to use?

X-100 Soul Searching

I find your decision to cancel your preorder very peculiar. The economics of the current X100 market play very strongly into the hands of anyone with a preorder, leaving them with the following three eventualities:

1) You like the X100 (after playing with it in real life, not just reading what other people say/think)
2) You don't like it, and sell it for a profit of ~$500
3) You decide you don't want a camera you like, or a free $500, and instead choose nothing.

Perhaps too much anxiety and emotional pressure? (from yourself)

I was never looking at it as an investment - just a camera. If I'd gotten it and not wanted it, I'd have probably sold it to someone here or another friend for what I paid. I suppose I could sell it for a profit, but given what's going on in Japan right now, I'd probably send the profits to relief aid. Which might have been the best thing to do. But I guess that once I decided I didn't want one, canceling it and letting the next person in whatever line slide up a spot was the best move for me and for those who are itching for one. Plus, it was a fully paid pre-order, so I actually get a refund and free up my money in this case.

-Ray

canceling it and letting the next person in whatever line slide up a spot was the best move for me and for those who are itching for one. Plus, it was a fully paid pre-order, so I actually get a refund and free up my money in this case.

Two very good reasons Ray! Most of us here in Australia aren't getting charged a cent until the camera is actually shipped, but if you have a much better use for the money in the meantime then both you and someone further down the line stands to benefit.

I'd certainly like to see more of the eBay X100 profits go to Japan relief - unfortunately none of the auctions I've watched say anything like that :(

Good point, Jon, about not having to part with your money before delivery. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that either.

I still have my pre order in and am waiting with hope.

Good point, Jon, about not having to part with your money before delivery. Thankfully, I haven't had to do that either.

I still have my pre order in and am waiting with hope.

I thought you ordered from B&H BB? I'm not sure why I thought that, but had that impression for some reason...

I think it'll be a great camera and for those using it as an only or primary camera, the quirks will probably just become background noise that you adapt to very quickly.

-Ray

I did, but I have another in...and am still waiting to hear a confirmation. Right now, I am being told that the arrival date is unknown... Fingers crossed for the first go round, but I have patience....most of the time. ;)

I still didn't need to part with my money, however - I was late on my pre order with B&H, so I am currently "backordered".

More important is an understatement, Jon! This look as though it is a press release from what I can see which makes it even better! Fingers firmly crossed. Thank so much, Jon!!

I've found this press release remarked upon by Michael R. Tompkins over on Imaging Resource: Fuji X100: production resumes He seems to think that this release is directed at their home market, but I am hoping that it will effect those of us who are abroad, as well. It's certainly very good news for their company and their employees.(y)

Thank you, Andy and olli!

P.S. I got a big kick out of the WhatDigitalCamera reviewer's comment, as he was saying how much he loves the hybrid viewfinder, regarding electronic viewfinders being "a Marmite type invention".:D

I actually had a play with the X100 today!!!!! It was a pre production model but it felt very very nice. The EVF/VF is superb and all the dials on top felt like high quality. It was wonderful to have the aperture on the lens and everything about it said high quality. This is a bit of a problem now as i can't decide which to save up for 1st, the X100 or the Zeiss 24mm f1.7 for my NEX.........hmmmmmmm

One of my dealers called me today and said he expects the cameras on 4/6/11.
He's getting 6 in and they are sold already.
Of course I'm not one of the 6.

But it's a good sign anyway.

Back