Fuji Fujifilm Finepix X100 - Pricing, Availability and general OMG

My main hangup with the NEX 5 is the lack of lens options. Amin's test photo's on this sight show clearly the NEX image quality at various ISOs, but since I have already a GF1 and a GH1 with pancake lenses, I would want the NEX 5 to have something more than the 16 and 18-55, and it does not help that the latter lens gets such mixed reviews. I saw an 18-200 for the NEX on Adorama but it is out of stock. Have you tried that lens? As for "ugly," I tend to think of the NEX 5 as odd looking, but charming in its own strange way. I am getting ready for a trip to Costa Rica in late May and want to travel light. I have Nikon DSLRs with a compliment of lenses but would love to find a way to travel lighter without sacrificing the chance to deliver some fine images to my stock agent when I return. I have been counting on the X100 for a lot of street shooting there, but will need more versatility of lens lengths to go with that (assuming the X100 is delivered in time). Even my D7000 with three or four lenses is seeming too much luggage for my wishes on this trip. When I traveled to Argentina as a much younger man I took a heavy bag of SLRs, lenses and a lot of film, but as I have aged I have changed thinking about lugging all that equipment.

The Nex 18-200 gets reasonably good reviews, but its a tank - really kind of an obscene mismatch of that huge lens on a tiny little body. I tried one in a shop when I got my Nex 5 and it wasn't as bad in operation as you'd think from seeing it, but if I want that focal length, I'll take an m43 cam with the Olympus 14-150 ANY day instead. Particularly as a travel setup. I'm happy enough with the 16 and the wide angle converter (I have the 18-55 also, but I use it so rarely I may as well not), but am really looking forward to the Zeiss 24 f1.7, which should be available reasonably soon. Depending on how the X100 works out - I doubt I'll want both...

-Ray

The NEX 3 (what I have) and 18-55mm lens are a good all-around combo. Shoot above the widest apertures and it's surprisingly good. The 16mm is fine, but too wide as an everyday pancake lens (for me anyway).

Just take an extra battery.

Agreed that the 18-200 is an obscenely clunky match. Just did not work for me. Might as well use a DSLR in that case.

I'm happy with the Nex 5, 18-55, 16 & UWA.
The camera has not let me down, yet.
I've had prints made that are fine, no issues.
To tell the truth, I no longer miss my GF1 etc.
That in itself is a HUGE statement.

I almost hate to tell people this, given how excited some of you are about this camera. But I should have one early next week. A cousin in the Montreal area was one of those lucky Canadians who got his in the batch of Canadian cams that went out late last week - he had pre-orders in at a couple of shops and both of them shipped at the same time, so he didn't have time to cancel one. I've seen similar stories on the dpreview forum co-minled with all of the angry Canucks who got none but had put in their orders before some of the folks who got two. It seems a lot of people are not happy with Henry's, who took pre-orders in both online and OTC and filled only online ones, even if they came in well after some of the OTC orders - I'd be pissed too. Anyway, he got them last Friday. He likes his, with reservations, and his son doesn't have any interest in the other one after playing with it for a couple of days. So I'm getting the second one! I should get it early to middle of next week. I'm not sure on the US warranty part of it, but if worse comes to worse, I can send it back to him and have it serviced in Canada. Hopefully the'll honor it here. More hopefully, it'll be an academic question! He's checked it out and neither of them had the problem with the tilted OVF so I have that assurance. As for the little niggling things, I'll just have to see for myself...

We're leaving for a week in Jamaica at the end of next week. I'm going to take this as my primary camera and either the Nex or the LX-5 along as backup (and if I really feel the need for a bit of versatility). I'm psyched, sort of, but feel a bit funny because so many are losing sleep over this camera and I'm not much more than curious at this point. Hopefully I'll have time to offer some initial impressions next week with a full report when we get back the week of the 24th. Although by then, hopefully a lot of you will have them as well.

-Ray

:eek:"Nooooooooo!" she screams running from the computer...until she realizes that Ray is her friend...and she is happy for him.;)

Ray for someone who was going back and forth, you certainly have good luck! And then to add to it you're off to Jamaica!! Talk about rubbing salt in my wounds.:tongue:

Can't wait to hear what you think and see some photographs!:th_salute:

Rumor, but I'd like it to be true. I just read on another forum the first batch is supposed to ship to US dealers April 15.

Actually it said they were shipped to major US dealers April 7th.

My main hangup with the NEX 5 is the lack of lens options.

I'm keeping mine and hoping/praying that the Zeiss 24mm f/1.7 is good and there is a better quality zoom. I have sold my 16mm as I just don't like the images it produces. there's something about the Sony glass that gives images a grainy odd poor quality look. I'm a terrible pixel peeper and when I look at images taken with this lens I just can't get over the fact that my manual glass is far far superior and makes full use of Sony's excellent sensor. Where the Sony glass come into it's own is for B&W conversion and this is the only reason I would consider getting the 18-55mm which I may do for B&W street but I'm hard pressed to take the Vivitar 24mm of the front!!:D

As for the X100.......I gotta get one! Some how!! It's a superb camera.

Andy, Andy, Andy.... I promise I will forgive you if you get yours before I get mine.:friends:

From what i have heard from the shop I'll be working at, the orders are short and the waiting list is long!!!! It's going to take a long while before all back orders get filled. :(

This weekend I bit the bullet and ordered an X100 from Japan, I paid a pretty penny for it (plus hood and case) but I am quite releived. With my important (opportunity of a lifetime) 3 week travel in Italy that includes a week long photo workshop in Venice coming up it was just something I had to have.

I had my mind set on getting it from the time of it's announcement and have been on pins an needles the past month with all the catastrophes in Japan. I preordered and paid in full for an X100 at B&H over a month ago. Then the camera began appearing in the UK, Europe, Australia and finally Canada a few weeks ago. I thought for sure the US was right around the corner. I hoped to no avail. Now it's Passover and B&H is closed until the day I fly to Venice.

My heart was set on having the X100, I really love small cameras and 35mm equivalent is a favorite of mine. Five years ago I did another photography workshop in Paris and I shot the entire week with only a 35mm lens on the original Canon 5D per request of the instructor that we stick with one lens.

Now I am working on my camera kit for the trip, (yes, I'm a camera geek and a photographer) which include FF DSLR with several lenses, M4/3 20 & 40-150, X100 and even a Go Pro Video.

I'm so excited!:)

Oh, Lisa - thanks for letting us know - and this was the perfect thread to post your excitement on!:D I'm feeling the anticipation almost as much as you are! You may have to post your first reactions as you're en rout to the airport.;)

Well, my departure date for Costa Rica is now just one month away and I am beginning to think I will have to go without an X100! Neither B&H nor Adorama are admitting to any known delivery date. :(

Dan,
Ya have time. You should be ok.
If we don't get word soon, it may be time to put
Amin to action. I've seen things he's done that would shock mortal humans.
He's the Wizard.... He's also our ace in the hole...

Dan, I do hope yours will come through in time. If not, then I'm sure you'll adopt the philosophical approach that the rest of us are hanging on to by a few unraveling threads.:026:

My only human contact told me that they expected their first go round to be shipped out to them on April 25th. I've been told that they'd keep me apprised and would let me know if I made the first cut. I am on my knees on this, believe me! Then just a minute ago, I did my little genuflection to any bit o' X100 news and stopped by Fujifilm Finepix X100 News & Rumors to keep my blood levels constant and found the piece I've just linked to. Here's the lead in:
Those of you who were following the discussion on our previous post, Is it Really Coming Next Week, will know that information on the estimated arrival for the X100 is all over the place. Given that Brandon Remler is a Fuji US representative, I thought his blog posting today was worth highlighting for all of you (us) waiting for any semi-official word on the shipping dates for the X100. Brandon posted the following...
So as not to steal their thunder, you'll have to click and read the rest...there's also a bit from Precision camera in there as well.

I'd be thrilled to be in anyone's first cut and remain hobbled by keeping all fingers and toes crossed, Andy.:friends:

Thaks BB and Don. I also checked the rumors and found the Brandon Remler blog. He says in his latest entry that retailers should start receiving them tomorrow (April 29th). Here is the link: Thoughts From My Camera: Fujifilm FinePix X100 - Houston, We Have Liftoff! Of course, even if this is true, we do not know (at least I do not) where we stand on the list of back orders. (BB, love that smiley face beating the dead horse!)

Back